Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Jon Jones doesn't always see 'eye to eye' with the UFC'

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    lol, good one.
    Both have better pure skill sets with fewer technical holes than Jones, thus both are better p4p.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    No, just because iot was Chael's first fight at LHW doesn't mean he should be considered a MW for that fight. He made the move to permantly go up a weight class. It is not as if he just went up to LHW for a fight or 2 and then went right back to MW the way Silva did.
    I thought he mentioned dropping back down to MW if Weidman beats Vitor?

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    Both have better pure skill sets with fewer technical holes than Jones, thus both are better p4p.

I thought he mentioned dropping back down to MW if Weidman beats Vitor?

rh
    I don't beleive anything Chael says. I won't beleive that he will go back to MW untilhe actually does it.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    No, just because iot was Chael's first fight at LHW doesn't mean he should be considered a MW for that fight. He made the move to permantly go up a weight class. It is not as if he just went up to LHW for a fight or 2 and then went right back to MW the way Silva did.
    I didnt say he should be considered a MW for the fight, I said when you talk about Chael, pre Jones fight, you have to refer to him as a MW. Chael was a middle weight for the eight years leading up to the Jones fight, Chael was not a LHW fighter again until he weighed in for the Jones fight (in my books).

Oh and it wasnt Chael's first fight at LHW, it wasnt even Chael's first fight at LHW in the UFC. Chael has fought at LHW numerous times in his career.. But at the time he was booked to fight Jones, Sonnen was a MW.

Bones scoffed at the idea of calling Sonnen a MW, I merely pointed out the fact Sonnen was a MW when Jones turned the fight down and when the fight was signed.

But again, what ever floats your boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Oh and it wasnt Chael's first fight at LHW, it wasnt even Chael's first fight at LHW in the UFC. Chael has fought at LHW numerous times in his career.. But at the time he was booked to fight Jones, Sonnen was a MW.
    I thought it was his first LHW bout in the UFC, although I may be wrong. Maybe I read that he'd never won a bout at LHW. I'd also heard that much of his LHW stuff in smaller promotions were skewed weight classes, where LHW started at 190 or something. I never bothered to try to check on that.

Bones scoffed at the idea of calling Sonnen a MW, I merely pointed out the fact Sonnen was a MW when Jones turned the fight down and when the fight was signed.

But again, what ever floats your boat.
    Regardless of all that, it's his first LHW bout in 8 years, and he gives up, what--something like 3 inches in height and a foot in reach? Yeah...that's a bout that should really count in p4p consideration.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Regardless of all that, it's his first LHW bout in 8 years, and he gives up, what--something like 3 inches in height and a foot in reach? Yeah...that's a bout that should really count in p4p consideration.

rh
    grasp at whatever straws you have to my friend.

Question to those questioning whether or not to call Chael a LHW...Is Machida still a LHW? Is Anthony Johnson still a WW? Is BJ Penn still a WW or a LW? I can keep going with this but i will assume everyone sees where im going with this.

Question to those questioning whether or not to call Chael a LHW...Is Machida still a LHW? Is Anthony Johnson still a WW? Is BJ Penn still a WW or a LW? I can keep going with this but i will assume everyone sees where im going with this.
    Machida was a MW when he was fighting at LHW, Johnson was never a real WW and was always a LHW, and BJ was always a LW with a HW gas tank. When people are saying Chael is a MW, they're refering to the weight class that he is most natural at, not the division that his last fight was in.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

...speaking of straws, you could regale us with whatever your criteria for ranking Jones p4p is. I haven't had enough comedy in my life recently.

rh

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

I thought it was his first LHW bout in the UFC, although I may be wrong. Maybe I read that he'd never won a bout at LHW. I'd also heard that much of his LHW stuff in smaller promotions were skewed weight classes, where LHW started at 190 or something. I never bothered to try to check on that.

rh
    UFC 55 - Sonnen vs. Sobral at LHW, no?

Lyoto pre-Munoz was a LHW fighter just as Sonnen pre-Jones was a MW fighter. If you are referring to a fight Lyoto fought before Munoz, (for example, if you were speaking about Lyoto vs Davis) you would refer to them as LHW fighters.

Similar too, if you were referring to BJ's most recent fights you would be speaking of him as a light weight fighter, you would not call him a featherweight. If you were speaking to a friend about BJ's fight against Sanchez, you would not refer to him as a FW fighter but instead a LW fighter. BJ does not become a FW fighter until he weighs in at and competes at FW.

I could keep going with this but I assume everyone can see where this is heading... Up until the Jones fight, Sonnen was a MW fighter.

When Jones first turned down the Sonnen fight, he was turning down a fight with a MW fighter... No?
    Last edited by Cat--Smasher; 02-11-2014 at 05:14 PM.

Thread Information