Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 51 to 59 of 59

Thread: Tyler Manawaroa racist Instagram photo rocks TUF Nations cast, jeopardizes UFC future

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,185

    Default

    He's a fighter not an elected official. He's obviously a racist, but should that get him kicked out of the UFC? If you don't approve of him, root against the guy. I don't remember people yelling for the UFC to cut Brock Lesnar because he said "I don’t like gays. Write that down in your little notebook. I don’t like gays.”

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    16,362

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JPeezy View Post
    He's a fighter not an elected official. He's obviously a racist, but should that get him kicked out of the UFC? If you don't approve of him, root against the guy. I don't remember people yelling for the UFC to cut Brock Lesnar because he said "I don’t like gays. Write that down in your little notebook. I don’t like gays.”
    Brock Lesnar was also a multi-million dollar draw while this guy is a practically a nobody as of present. The UFC has a Fighter Conduct Policy which this racist post has broken. The regulations exist, it is not as though he is being made an example of as plenty of people have been those examples in the past.

    The kid and his manager was not smart enough to wipe his Facebook clean before jumping on a public platform. Being a public figure makes you accountable for what you put out to the public. If you were the owner of a business and you insulted an ethnicity publicly, you'd get backlash as well.

    We live in a world where you have to watch what you say, even on the internet.

    Sam Wheeler, Kent State Wrestler, Suspended For Anti-Gay Tweets About Michael Sam
    Last edited by Sniggles; 02-12-2014 at 07:33 PM.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kalebarker View Post
    I haven't been 19 for a long time and I still don't have facebook because I would end up posting stupid shit and alienating people.
    That explains your "honour is over-rated" comment (which you will never live down).
    Last edited by Tongan.Death.Grip; 02-12-2014 at 10:06 PM.

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga
    Posts
    9,047

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JPeezy View Post
    He's a fighter not an elected official. He's obviously a racist, but should that get him kicked out of the UFC? If you don't approve of him, root against the guy. I don't remember people yelling for the UFC to cut Brock Lesnar because he said "I don’t like gays. Write that down in your little notebook. I don’t like gays.”
    Absolutely yes. If an employe of mine was spreading racist nonsense while representing my company, I would fire him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tongan.Death.Grip View Post
    That explains your "honour is over-rated" comment (which you will never live down).
    was that during the chael sonnen thread?

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CtGreat View Post
    Absolutely yes. If an employe of mine was spreading racist nonsense while representing my company, I would fire him.


    was that during the chael sonnen thread?
    Cant remember the thread, just that i thought it was everything wrong with todays generation in one sentence.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,458

    Default

    I just gotta wonder if the photo truly "rocked" the house.

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    19,335

    Default

    Team Canada blog: Kajan Johnson on 'TUF Nations,' episode No. 5

    Before I leave today, I must touch on something that happened earlier this week. One of my friends had sent me a picture of an Instagram post made by Tyler that hit a nerve very close to home and was upsetting for me to see. Letting my upset feelings and outrage get the best of me in that moment, I immediately tweeted about it, calling Tyler a racist.

    Growing up, I was the only “black” kid in an all-white and First Nations community. And as such, I was constantly picked on, left out and discriminated against, simply because of the color of my skin. As some of my fans know, I am an advocate for anti-racism and fighting the war on racism against all people, especially First Nations people and the injustice that is being served to them, all of which includes the struggles that members of my family must endure on a daily basis. So as you can imagine, when I saw the post, I had a knee-jerk reaction to call him out on it. However, it was brought to my attention later that the post was made well over a year ago when Tyler was still in high school. Being young isn’t an excuse, but I can see now with eyes unclouded by anger that the post wasn’t intended to hurt people.

    Unfortunately, remarks such as these can hurt people regardless of intent, so I hope everyone can take away a lesson from Tyler’s mistake and think of how their jokes and comments can affect and hurt other people. Posting something on sensitive topics such as this will inevitably always be controversial and raise eyebrows. There has been way too much suffering amongst many races in this world over the course of time. To joke about it will not sit well with many people.

    With that being said, I know I have learned my lesson to never speak publicly while angry or upset, as anger clouds our judgment and can make us do or say things we wouldn’t necessarily say or do if we were in a clearer state of mind. Tyler, I really hope that this hasn’t done irreversible damage to your career. You are young and still have plenty of time to turn things around. We are both young for that matter and have much of our lives ahead of us; we both have lessons to learn along our journey. A part of living is learning by making mistakes and growing. You are a great fighter, and from what I remember, a pretty good guy. I completely forgive you for what you posted, as I know there was no malicious intent. I hope that you can also forgive me for my reaction to it. I wish you nothing but the best in your future.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    9,493

    Default

    I just wish people would understand that he is not losing a job or getting fired.

    He's simply not being offered a contract win or lose. Right now, he's being paid to be on a show and taking part in amateur MMA contests.

    Am I incorrect here?
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    NY--->MIA
    Posts
    8,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    I just gotta wonder if the photo truly "rocked" the house.
    Haha yeah journalism titles can be annoying. Is it a live show or has it been previously recorded? I haven't followed TUF much since that god awful brock lesnar season.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •