Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travis Browne Set to Meet Fabricio Werdum on April 19

Default Travis Browne Set to Meet Fabricio Werdum on April 19

Travis Browne Set to Meet Fabricio Werdum on April 19

The UFC® is bringing heavyweight action to Orlando! Second-ranked Fabricio Werdum returns to the Octagon® to battle third-ranked Travis Browne in a bout that will likely determine the next challenger to champion Cain Velasquez’s crown.

Currently on a three-fight win streak that includes victories over fellow Brazilian jiu-jitsu ace and former heavyweight champion Minotauro Nogueira, Fedor Emelianenko, and Roy Nelson, Fabricio Werdum (17-5-1, fighting out of Los Angeles, Calif.) looks to cap off his streak with a decisive win over a surging Browne. After soundly defeating Gabriel Gonzaga, Alistair Overeem, and Josh Barnett, all via first-round knockout, Travis Browne (16-1-1, fighting out of Albuquerque, N.M.) brings his 6-foot-7 frame and unorthodox style into a high stakes bout where a win could mean a shot at the UFC title.

In addition, former Strikeforce women’s bantamweight champion and second-ranked Miesha Tate (13-5, fighting out of Yakima, Wash.) faces the heavy-handed U.S Marine and seventh-ranked Liz Carmouche (8-4, fighting out of San Diego, Calif.) in a critical bout in the division.

Also on the main card, fan-favorite No. 8 Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone (22-6, fighting out of Albuquerque, N.M.) battles explosive lightweight No.11Edson Barboza (13-1, fighting out of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil) in an early favorite for “Fight of the Night” honors, while No. 13 ranked Brad Tavares (12-2, fighting out of Las Vegas, Nev.), winner of five straight, takes on 2000 Olympic freestyle wrestling silver medalist and 14th-ranked Yoel Romero (7-1, fighting out of Coconut Creek, Fla. by way of Pinar del Rio, Cuba) in a middleweight bout.

The card also features two additional exciting lightweight bouts when the streaking No. 6 Rafael dos Anjos (20-6, fighting out of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil) meets the undefeated seventh-ranked Khabib Nurmagomedov (21-0, fighting out of Dagestan, Russia) and South Florida’s Jorge Masvidal (25-8, fighting out of Miami, Fla.) squares off against the always dangerous veteran Pat Healy (31-17, 1NC, fighting out of Portland, Ore.). Two welterweight bouts join the card, as former title challenger Thiago “Pitbull” Alves (24-8, fighting out of Coconut Creek, Fla.) returns to action following a lengthy layoff to take on Seth Baczynski (fighting out of Apache Junction, Ariz.), while Argentinian striker Santiago Ponzinibbio (19-2, fighting out of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil) faces knockout artist Jordan Mein (27-9, fighting out of Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada). Additionally, Orlando’s Josh Samman (10-3, fighting out of Tallahassee, Fla.) takes on Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt Caio Magalhaes (7-2, fighting out of Fortaleza, Ceara, Brazil) at middleweight.
    All Apologies if this news has been previously posted. I'm currently on the job search and can't keep track of breaking MMA news like I used to be.

This fight was expected, with Cain being sidelined after shoulder surgery. But it's the first official announcement I can recall of a fight being made between Travis and Fabricio.

Really interesting match up. Werdum's striking seems to have improved since his Strikeforce debacle with Overeem. Travis has obviously looked liked a beast in recent outings. I can't wait.

I was hoping for a better main event for Orlando.
    In the end, the only prize a fighter keeps is you. I only ask that you continue supporting all athletes. Keep supporting them, because in the end your applause is the only thing that remains. The rest is only an illusion. - Wanderlei to fans

This is a very solid card. Almost all the fights are interesting to me. Despite the lack of star power I am more excited for this card than most of the up and coming cards. I would rather watch this card live than the next PPV.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

Quote Originally Posted by m1ckeykn0x View Post
    I was hoping for a better main event for Orlando.
    This is the best card that has ever come to Florida, I can't wait. To shell out $300+ on seats that aren't as good as the view from my couch.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.

There is more to it than the live event then just the live event if you are going there as an MMA fan. Their is the weigh-ins which usually has fighter Q&A and autograph signing afterwards. There is also lots of fighters doing autograph signings around the city and as well hosting after parties. If I lived close to a city hosting a UFC event I would consider spending the weekend their and watching it at a bar if I couldn't get tickets.

I do understand what you are saying it. It would be disappointing to be waiting as long you have to get Browne vs. Werdum.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

Hope Werdum rips his arm off and gets ko'd at the "same damn time".

8. Default

Sooo... who else bought their tickets already?
    ------------------

Browne has been acting in a pretty arrogant way lately. Hopefully Werdum puts him in his place
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by H0SS View Post
    Sooo... who else bought their tickets already?
    I'll probably get mine next week. They just went on sale to the general public today
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.

Thread Information