Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rumble Johnson: Pay us like MLB stars and we won't have to use PEDs

Default Rumble Johnson: Pay us like MLB stars and we won't have to use PEDs

Rumble Johnson: Pay us like MLB stars and we won't have to use PEDs

The UFC light heavyweight was a recent guest on SiriusXM's TapouT Radio and shared his thoughts:

"In every sport people are using something," he told host Ricky Bones. "I mean, as long as nobody dies, nobody pulls a Chris Benoit, you know what I'm saying? I think everything is going to be fine. If it's something that can absolutely help you, I don't see what the problem is. Until that moment you go crazy on the person -- whoever it may be -- you can't absolutely blame the... I don't know. I guess it's just an iffy situation."

"If you abuse it, of course you are going to get popped for it and do stupid stuff. But if you use it the right way and you just do what you are supposed to do, then it shouldn't be a problem. But with the way the world is right now, hell you can... Everything is all messed up right now. I don't know man. I think if you can do it, do it. I don't have nothing against it. You know what I'm saying? As long as you don't kill nobody."

A cavalier response from the Blackzilian fighter, most refreshing when compared to the usual stock replies that we often hear about the subject. While Johnson is apathetic towards the topic, that doesn't mean certain athletes in the sport are above his suspicion.

"I told my manager and stuff, I was like ‘Dude, I know these guys work out hard and stuff like that,' that's what we do, but I'm like, ‘Ain't no way in hell anybody is supposed to go 25 minutes in a championship fight all-out like that without gassing some type of way,'" Johnson said. "Even if you pace yourself... Those dudes be ready for another three rounds after the five rounds. You know what I'm saying? I don't know."

"They got to be taking something. You got to take something, even if it's legal or illegal. With as much training as we do, you have to take something. I mean, it doesn't have to be illegal, but you have to do something, because you just can't say ‘I'm going to to home and go to sleep' and just wake up in the morning and feel better. It doesn't work like that."

Bones brought up a recent article on CagePotato, where Jon Mariani suggests that if PEDs were in fact legal, that would help level the playing field in MMA as others would follow suit. Johnson agreed with the notion, and while prefacing that he was about to "say something stupid," he let a new suggestion rip, saying if salaries in MMA were comparable to Major League Baseball (MLB), then maybe there would be less cheaters within the sport trying to get ahead.

"I think so too," he said. "The one thing that he didn't say is that you got guys like A-Rod and all them. They making millions per game. We making a couple thousand. They look at us and be like, ‘Man that's pocket change for me.' Hell, I'm probably about to say something stupid but I'm about to say, either pay us like them (MLB) and then we won't have to use it, or let us use it so we can get to that level. One or the other... Let us do something."

Right because mlb is so steroid free......
    Other than that statement I mostly agree with him. If you can make weight use whatever kind of juice you want. I pay to watch the athletes perform their craft. A ped ENHANCES that performance. Go for it IMO .

We will stop doing PEDs when you pay us the same as the people who are most notorious for using them...that makes perfect sense. What an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by sonofsteven View Post
    Other than that statement I mostly agree with him. If you can make weight use whatever kind of juice you want. I pay to watch the athletes perform their craft. A ped ENHANCES that performance. Go for it IMO .
    yes this is true however it is not very fair that someone is being put at a disadvantage for not putting harmful substances into their body.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

There is no easy solution to the PED issues in any sport. There's always going to be lots of use since there's always ways to get around the testing. Most abusers and some users end up getting caught sooner or later. But no matter what people are getting paid, no matter what rules, no matter what testing, there's always that temptation for some or most to do whatever they can to get that edge. Allowing PEDs doesn't solve it. Lots of them are illegal, then what's the edge: take more of them. What happens then: abuse, side effects, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by hass View Post
    There is no easy solution to the PED issues in any sport. There's always going to be lots of use since there's always ways to get around the testing. Most abusers and some users end up getting caught sooner or later. But no matter what people are getting paid, no matter what rules, no matter what testing, there's always that temptation for some or most to do whatever they can to get that edge. Allowing PEDs doesn't solve it. Lots of them are illegal, then what's the edge: take more of them. What happens then: abuse, side effects, etc.
    I think it's easy, 1st time you get caught you're banned for life. Is the risk worth the reward then?

I knew it was all headed downhill as soon as he busted out the Chris Benoit reference in his first sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Qball1974 View Post
    I think it's easy, 1st time you get caught you're banned for life. Is the risk worth the reward then?
    That is a horrible idea. A lot of supplements are mislabeled or try to hide the fact that they have questionable ingredients. Banning someone for life because they bought the wrong protein isn't the solution. Random and more intensive testing through out training camps is a much better idea, unfortunately it will cost more money.

Quote Originally Posted by sonofsteven View Post
    ..........you're serious, aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by initial_zen View Post
    That is a horrible idea. A lot of supplements are mislabeled or try to hide the fact that they have questionable ingredients. Banning someone for life because they bought the wrong protein isn't the solution. Random and more intensive testing through out training camps is a much better idea, unfortunately it will cost more money.
    I'm sure the athletic commission can provide a list of acceptable supplements. If you can prove in the review that it was an unintentional failed test then a 1-2 yr ban is fine with me.

What you put in your body is on you.
    Last edited by Qball1974; 02-10-2014 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramma View Post
    ..........you're serious, aren't you?
    Indeed sir. If a guy wants to use boldenone , testosterone, dbol , deca , etc , etc , to rehab an injury , combat age, prevent injury (that ones debatable) , or whatever else for whatever reason I just don't see the ill effects of that translating into the cage . Obviously fighter safety is paramount but I fail to see how the perfect ped cycle for a fighter , whatever that may be, would pose little if any threat to the opponent facing the juiced fighter. No steroid that I am familiar with is going to do anything to combat your opponent just flat out being better than you. See Vitor v A.Silva. , Bonnar v A.Silva , and the like . The biggest difference I see it making is in recovery and staying healthy in camps which is a win for me as a fan/consumer and im pretty sure a win for the fighter who is staying healthy and making $$.
    Thats right bitches, gonna have to bling out the other hand soon...

Thread Information