+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: UFC shuts down illegal PPV stream, seizes website records and threatens to prosecute

Default UFC shuts down illegal PPV stream, seizes website records and threatens to prosecute

UFC shuts down illegal PPV stream, seizes website records and threatens to prosecute viewers
    http://www.mmamania.com/2014/2/11/54...cute-users-mma
    If you're one of the scurvy pirates who illegally streamed the UFC 169 pay-per-view (PPV) event, you might want to start planning your getaway.

That's because ZUFFA, parent company of Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), has successfully shut down www.cagewatcher.eu, a website busted for streaming live video feeds, free of charge, to those mixed martial arts (MMA) fans who were too cheap to pay for them.

You know who you are!

In addition, the combat sports promotion will "vigorously pursue" individual users with the help of Lonstein Law Office, after obtaining a list of email addresses, IP addresses, and user names stored in the website's database, which can be used to identify infringers.

From today's release:

Lonstein Law Office has successfully prosecuted hundreds of claims for the UFC organization for sites illegally streaming content and individual users since 2007. UFC's status as the industry leader in pay-per-view television has helped it become a leader in cracking down on companies and individuals watching and facilitating the watching of pay-per-view events online, without paying.

This is not the first time ZUFFA has gone after its fans.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

They can't actually prosecute people who visited the site and streamed the card, can they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    They can't actually prosecute people who visited the site and streamed the card, can they?
    I dont know about in America but under Canadian law it is not illegal to watch an 'illegal' stream but it is against the law to broadcast one.

LOL they are still that delusional to think that eventually they will stop piracy?

Oh so they shut down one website, what a big deal! They only have like a thousand left.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    LOL they are still that delusional to think that eventually they will stop piracy?

Oh so they shut down one website, what a big deal! They only have like a thousand left.
    Gotta start somewhere, right?

If they actually start tacking on prison time or fines it might deter others from doing the same thing.

I say, good. Fuck em.

Quote Originally Posted by 0mega1 View Post
    Gotta start somewhere, right?

If they actually start tacking on prison time or fines it might deter others from doing the same thing.

I say, good. Fuck em.
    Hard to enforce prision times or fines when most of the streaming sites are ran from overseas.

The UFC needs to realize 60 bucks a PPV is going to force many fans to stream their product. I dont think your average sports fan is willing to drop $600 plus a year to watch mma. I am not saying it is ok to steal but if the UFC wants a higher percentage of fans to pay for every event, they will have to drop the costs. Another thing that encourages illegal streams is the fact they dont have to pay PPV fees in Europe and other places as we do in North America.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Hard to enforce prision times or fines when most of the streaming sites are ran from overseas.

The UFC needs to realize 60 bucks a PPV is going to force many fans to stream their product. I dont think your average sports fan is willing to drop $600 plus a year to watch their sport. I am not saying it is ok to steal but if the UFC wants a higher percentage of fans to pay for every event, they will have to drop the costs.
    And I cant argue against that; I totally agree they should be cheaper.

9. Default

Good. I hope they throw the book at all of them.
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    Good. I hope they throw the book at all of them.
    But then they might bust you for illegally streaming UFC on Fuel TV: Korean Zombie vs. Poirier!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information