+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: UFC shuts down illegal PPV stream, seizes website records and threatens to prosecute

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    They can't actually prosecute people who visited the site and streamed the card, can they?
    Being the person that posted the live stream, yes.

From simply watching it, unless there was a law passed in the past year, that I didn't hear about, then no (not that I'm an authority on that type of thing, I just researched it a year or so ago.) They can however file a lawsuit against your ISP to find the name & address of the person who owns the IP Address, and then attempt to harass you into "settling" for your "illegal" activities. So their claim of "individual users" is likely those who didn't know their rights and settled for a couple $1000.

Illegal downloads etc.. will be at an end world wide within 5 years so make the most of it.

This is a very tough battle that many industries were unsuccessful with (depends on your definition of success though I guess). It's becoming tougher and tougher to stop piracy as time goes on. This could be a case where they could spend millions and millions of dollars for a marginal gain. I suspect their overall effort will be futile.

4. Default

Those asking, this is all I could really find:

By streaming content without paying, a person is skirting the copyright rules applied to illegal downloads. In early August, President Obama and the U.S. Department of Commerce Internet Policy Task Force started looking into prosecuting streaming as a felony instead of a misdemeanor, saying it is equivalent to criminal reproduction and distribution.
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    Those asking, this is all I could really find:

By streaming content without paying, a person is skirting the copyright rules applied to illegal downloads. In early August, President Obama and the U.S. Department of Commerce Internet Policy Task Force started looking into prosecuting streaming as a felony instead of a misdemeanor, saying it is equivalent to criminal reproduction and distribution.
    lol like they don't have enough people in prison already lol

Quote Originally Posted by Tongan.Death.Grip View Post
    Illegal downloads etc.. will be at an end world wide within 5 years so make the most of it.
    what makes you say that?

I will pirate til it's illegal. I don't feel bad, nor will I ever.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information