Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: UFC shuts down illegal PPV stream, seizes website records and threatens to prosecute

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    And this was in August:

Obama task force revives SOPA provision outlawing online streaming
    http://rt.com/usa/sopa-commerce-streaming-illegal-183/
    yeah not like the should have been tring to fix his own fucking web site mybe they where just getting some advice on how to make a web site work.

If you're the paranoid sort, there are proxies and VPNs that'll certainly make the feds' lives hell in trying to figure out what you're doing online. Nothing is 100% sure to keep you anonymous, but you can get pretty close.

The thing is that if somehow they stop piracy (something that will never happen, but let's imagine they do), they are gonna lose tons of fans. It is not that people that watch free streams are suddenly going to pay money for the PPVs.

60 bucks for a 2-3 hour TV show is a lot of money
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Me as a Canadian...

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

UFC has successfully sued at least one person for watching streams
    It turns out that instead of risking setting unfavourable case law, the UFC lawyers appear to have decided to take a slightly different route, instead suing under Title 47 of the United States Code, §§ 553 and 605.

Section 553 prohibits persons from intercepting or receiving "any communications service offered over a cable system, unless specifically authorized to do so..." Section 605 proscribes the unauthorized interception and publication of any "radio communication."

What this essentially means is instead of suing for copyright infringement, they sued the streamer for intercepting or receiving their Pay-Per-View signal without having the authorization to do so.

They successfully sued at least one person under this act, and I have no reason to doubt the claims from their press release that the actual number was hundreds. In this case, the plaintiff chose not to defend the allegation, and as a result a default judgement was awarded against him.

He was ordered to pay $2,000 in statutory damages ($1,000 per event streamed, the minimum damages allowed by law), $4,000 in enhanced damages and $5,948.70 in attorney's fees and costs. All in all streaming two Pay-Per-View events cost him $11,948.70.

I feel like this has been reported a whole bunch of times over the years and nothing becomes of it.

Are they suing the viewers or the people that put it on the web? I don't see how they can sue the viewers. They can claim someone hacked their wifi password or something. Also they didn't download anything so it would be tough to actually prove.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

They will not sue the viewers, in that case they would need to sue many thousand of people after every PPV.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    They will not sue the viewers, in that case they would need to sue many thousand of people after every PPV.
    Not to mention it's perfectly legal in some/most European countries to watch an online stream. Last I heard there's no law prohibiting me from watching any online stream as long as I don't personally stream it. There have been a couple of cases in the court about streamers getting sued in Finland, the other one was smalltime guy who streamed few hockey games, the bigger case is still pending and should go on trial soonish. In both cases they didn't go after the "customers" just the suppliers.

If UFC or any other company wants to fight online piracy, they need to sue the people who make things available, never those who download / watch "free" stuff of the internet. No matter how many illegal downloaders they sue, there will new kids replacing those who got sued and the cycle just continues. At least when they go for the source they are going after those who make all of that possible for those who download/watch streams.
    Favourite fighters: Mark Hunt, Tom Niinimäki and Anton Kuivanen

Quote Originally Posted by Tongan.Death.Grip View Post
    Illegal downloads etc.. will be at an end world wide within 5 years so make the most of it.

Ha ha, now that's pretty funny.

Anyway, I think the UFC could battle some of their piracy problems by offering it's cable customers a package deal to get all the year's PPV's for one price, and maybe knock 5 or 10 bucks off of each event. Even just 5 bucks off each PPV would tally up to getting a free event by the end of the year. There are those who don't feel like every single card is worth 60 bucks or just don't have the money that month, so we find "other" ways to watch. But if we had the chance to pay for an entire year of our UFC fix at one time and maybe get a little deal rather than paying it month by month we'd be interested.

If you read the UFC's own warning that is shown at the beginning of every PPV event, it states that you can be prosecuted for the illegal distribution and or upload of the event. If you are just watching a stream, you are doing neither of those 2 things.

Thread Information