Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UFC Replacing KO and Sub of the Night Bonuses with $50K 'Performance' Bonuses

Default UFC Replacing KO and Sub of the Night Bonuses with $50K 'Performance' Bonuses

UFC Replacing KO and Sub of the Night Bonuses with $50K 'Performance' Bonuses

Today the UFC announced a significant change to how they give out fight night bonuses.

Immediately following the conclusion of each UFC event, one of the first pieces of post-fight news is the announcement of the fight night bonuses. Traditionally, the UFC has awarded a $50K bonus for Fight of the Night, Knockout of the Night, and Submission of the night.

On Tuesday, the promotion announced a change to the bonus protocol:

The Ultimate Fighting Championship announced today a modification to its live event bonuses. Effective immediately, UFC will award "Fight of the Night Bonuses" to each of the fighters in the best fight of the night, as well as additional "Performance of the Night Bonuses" to the two best individual performances on the card. The bonus amounts will remain $50,000. The "Performance of Night" bonuses will reward the athletes who put on the best and most exciting individual performances.
    This means if an event ends with only a single knockout or submission, that fighter is no longer guaranteed a bonus.

Although not stated explicitly, it looks like the new system will be first used this weekend at UFC Fight Night 36. That event will take place at the Arena Jaragua in Jaragua do Sul, Brazil with middleweights Lyoto Machida and Gegard Mousasi headlining the card.
    Considering how the UFC has actively supported the Cleveland Clinic brain injury study, it makes sense that they would re-brand their 'KO of the Night" bonus into a 'Performance' bonus.

Why not just add a "Performance of the night" bonus instead of getting rid of the other 2?
    Anyway it is not that for the UFC pay 50,000 extra bucks is a big loss.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

The first thought I had about this was how 169 ended with so many decisions and two (T)KOs. And how even if a fighter isn't able to finish his/her opponent he/she could still earn a nice bonus depending on how good they looked.

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    Why not just add a "Performance of the night" bonus instead of getting rid of the other 2?
    Anyway it is not that for the UFC pay 50,000 extra bucks is a big loss.
    That was my first thought as well. I always felt they needed a performance of the night or fighter of the night bonus. I don't know how I feel about getting rid of the other two for it though. I like the idea of certain finishes getting rewarded as those tend to be highlights but at the same time, I also felt that certain performances that weren't finishes were not getting rewarded. Oh well, I won't lose sleep over this.

Quote Originally Posted by trustkill View Post
    UFC Replacing KO and Sub of the Night Bonuses with $50K 'Performance' Bonuses

Considering how the UFC has actively supported the Cleveland Clinic brain injury study, it makes sense that they would re-brand their 'KO of the Night" bonus into a 'Performance' bonus.
    Never thought about it that way. Excellent point.

That is really stupid. The one they should've gotten rid of is fight of the night considering the only fighters who can get it are the guys that don't finish. If you dominate a guy into a tko you don't get anything which is stupid in my book.

It'll be good for times when there are two great knockouts in one fight card and no subs. But then again, it could open up for times when there is a great knockout but another guy performed really well and the guy who got the knockout not getting the bonus... I'm not quite sure how I feel about this yet...

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Like the old way better.

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    It'll be good for times when there are two great knockouts in one fight card and no subs. But then again, it could open up for times when there is a great knockout but another guy performed really well and the guy who got the knockout not getting the bonus... I'm not quite sure how I feel about this yet...
    They've given out multiple knockout of the night awards in the past, never seemed to be an issue.

Unless people on the under card put on one hell of a show, I can see big names stealing this a lot. Hope it doesn't turn out that way.

I dont think this will turn out too different from the current structure.. I am still see the best KO and best sub still getting these awards most of the time. I think you will see an exception when you have a fighter pull off a good come back to win the fight or one fighter is just being that much more active and pushing the fight than the other guy.

Thread Information