Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEW Pick'ems playoff format? Anybody interested?

Default NEW Pick'ems playoff format? Anybody interested?

(Already posted in the pick'ems thread, just wanted to get my fellow pick'ers advice)

Just had a crazy thought. What about doing this 'playoffs style' at the end of the season?

Like when there are X amount of UFC events left. We do it with like 1st place vs 16th place, 2nd vs 15th, etc. (or only include 8 people for the playoffs).

Then it's you vs that guy, for 1 event (or 2 or 3), and whoever has the most points moves on to the next 'round' so to speak.

Say we do a 16 man field, and maybe 2 events per round. So the 'playoffs' would start when there are 8 events left in the calendar year. And its your picks vs the person you're against picks for those 2 events, winner takes all and moves on to the next round and the loser is out (or in a consolation ladder).

Could be modified alot. Even 12 people make it in the 'playoffs', top 4 people in points when they start get a first round by, while the other 8 play it out to make a final 8 field.

The # of events per round could vary too, or be like 1-3 events per round. Or 1 for the first round (or wild card), 2 for the second, 3 for the third or 3 for the final/championship or whatever.

Any suggestions or comments on a format like this? Anyone like or dislike it? Just looking for input or whatever, and I think it'd be cool and give someone who would normally finish in like 6th or 8th a chance to win it all.

Feedback is greatly appreciated. If nobody likes, we can stick with the current structure of whoever has the most at years end is the winner.

Or even both. I'll keep tallying the normal way, and whoever has the most at the end of Dec is the 'season' champ. And then do this playoff format on the side.

And shyte, if more people joined in, we could have more bys, or more players in it (imagine a 64 user pick'ems bracket)

Howdy Folks! You like blood? Violence? Freaks of nature? Well then, come on down to Captain Spaulding's Museum of Monsters and Mad-Men. See the Alligator Boy, ride my famous Murder Ride. Most of all, don't forget to take home some of my tasty fried chicken! Ha ha! It just tastes so damn good!

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    I wanted to watch two fat guys stare at each other huffing and puffing

Then anyone out there just watching so far could still join up in the pick'ems and have a shot to win

Howdy Folks! You like blood? Violence? Freaks of nature? Well then, come on down to Captain Spaulding's Museum of Monsters and Mad-Men. See the Alligator Boy, ride my famous Murder Ride. Most of all, don't forget to take home some of my tasty fried chicken! Ha ha! It just tastes so damn good!

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    I wanted to watch two fat guys stare at each other huffing and puffing

Nah

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

I think this is a cool idea, but it should probably be done separately. Maybe have a pickems champ and a pickems tournament champ.
    "He's got big balls. I like that." -Josh Koschek on Frank Trigg's balls.

I haven't done pick ems in a while but I like the idea. Would add a bit of excitement to the end of the year. On the other hand you run the risk of someone dominating all year only to lose in the playoffs.
    My Favorite Fighters

1)Gray Maynard 2)Dan Henderson 3)Minotauro Nogueira 4)Wanderlei Silva 5)Roy Nelson 6)Tim Boetsch 7)Mark Hunt 8)Shogun Rua 9)Lyoto Machida 10) Connor McGregor

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    I don't like this at all. What's the point then to stay in from the beginning if any old person can wait until the very end and still win? Don't like it at all.
    If you're only taking the top 8 someone coming in at the end would likely have a substantial deficit to overcome. If they do over come that deficit they deserve a chance to win it all.

As is, the format makes it difficult for someone who joined late or missed a few cards to play.
    My Favorite Fighters

1)Gray Maynard 2)Dan Henderson 3)Minotauro Nogueira 4)Wanderlei Silva 5)Roy Nelson 6)Tim Boetsch 7)Mark Hunt 8)Shogun Rua 9)Lyoto Machida 10) Connor McGregor

I'm always in the top five and really don't think it's an accurate depiction of a "pick ems" if some jay-brone walks in at 16(which by Fall is a couple hundred points behind) and has a hot night or I get shanked on some SDs.....

Yeah, don't care for this.

If there were enough players that stuck with picking cards through the year, I'd be more inclined to be for this. I don't seem to be doing well enough to matter anyway. Oh well. Thumbs up.

I like it. I haven't done the pickems in a couple of years because it was just boring to me. In this format though I would start playing again

Thread Information