Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: UFC not re-signing Gilbert Melendez

Default UFC not re-signing Gilbert Melendez

UFC Tonight on FOX Sports 1 just reported the UFC: Ultimate Fighting Championship is passing on resigning Gilbert "El Nino" Melendez. We've been following Gilbert's career for several years and we really hope they're able to work something out.
    I didn't see the show, so I'll post it in nj for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Dana White says UFC's contract negotiations with Gilbert Melendez not going well, takes shot at manager

Gilbert Melendez's October win over Diego Sanchez at UFC 166 was the final fight on his deal with the UFC, and he's been in contract negotiations since then. According to a report from Ariel Helwani on Wednesday's UFC Tonight program on Fox Sports 1, those negotiations aren't going well.

Per the report, UFC President Dana White is having a rough time with the negotiations with Melendez's manager, Rodolphe Beaulieu, who also manages Georges St-Pierre. White had some not kind things to say about Beaulieu, commenting that "being Georges St-Pierre's best friend doesn't make you a good manager."

White says he's "done" dealing with Beaulieu, and says Melendez needs to get in contact with Lorenzo Fertitta if he wants to fight in the UFC or he "better start looking elsewhere."

Penick's Analysis: It would be entirely short-sighted and a detriment to the UFC's lightweight field to not come to terms with Melendez. He's one of the most legitimate challengers they have on the 155 lb. roster right now, and is no more than a win away from title contention. Letting him walk would be ridiculous. This plays like White trying to undermine the job of a manager by trying to get Melendez to contact Fertitta about staying on, but we'll have to keep an eye on what happens here. Melendez needs to stay in the UFC, and they have to find a way to come to a deal with him.

By: Jamie Penick, MMATorch Editor-in-Chief

If he is gone, it makes the LW division a lot less interesting.

Well, this would be a huge loss to LW.

These threats are all part of the negotiations. We've heard similar statements before, only to have both sides reach an agreement a few days later. I'm going to let this play out before I start worrying about Melendez having to fight in Bellator.

It won't really matter actually, the LW division is so stacked right now it almost needs to lose a challenger so people can move around title fights faster. Gilbert isnt that much of a draw, which the UFC is primarily concerned about, just look at Dan Henderson, and he already lost a title fight so building him back up to casual fans is a little harder.

While Gilbert is one of the best LW's around, and could be a champion on any given night, he doesn't have alot of negotiating power at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan Fight Club View Post
    well now I've seen War Machine's dick. fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Ill go against the grain.
    Werdum via triangle
    Someone needs to cheer for those poor souls.

Well this sucks...would enjoy watching him fight chandler or alvarez though.

as for what sniggles posted...good lord Dana is such an unprofessional child like buffoon lately.
    Last edited by IceCold48; 02-12-2014 at 08:15 PM.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    Well this sucks...would enjoy watching him fight chandler or alvarez though.
    Those would be fun fights, and Dana is aware of that. Exactly why I think they'll eventually reach an agreement. Dana doesn't want to bolster Bellator's roster. It would be a shame for Gil to leave UFC considering how he was stuck in StrikeForce and desperately wanted to make the jump.

If you're still friends with GSP, I don't want to be friends with you.

Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    It won't really matter actually, the LW division is so stacked right now it almost needs to lose a challenger so people can move around title fights faster. Gilbert isnt that much of a draw, which the UFC is primarily concerned about, just look at Dan Henderson, and he already lost a title fight so building him back up to casual fans is a little harder.

While Gilbert is one of the best LW's around, and could be a champion on any given night, he doesn't have alot of negotiating power at the moment.
    What contenders?

Thread Information