Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: UFC not re-signing Gilbert Melendez

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    If he is gone, it makes the LW division a lot less interesting.
    but even if he was gone LW would still be the best division.
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

"He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    Oh well, I've always found him to be quite overrated. The level of competition he faced in Strikeforce isn't remotely close to the level he'll face in UFC. I even had Thompson beating him in their last fight. He most likely still thinks he beat Henderson, and is asking for way more money than someone with a 1-1 UFC record is worth.
    The Thomson that knocked out Diaz and lost close split decision, that most people thought he won, after breaking his hand in the first round? Thomson, Aoki, Kawajiri, Masvidal, Thomson: that was his run prior to signing into the UFC. I challenge you to three UFC light weights that fought beat that good of competition over the same period. He was consistently fighting better competition than 95% of the UFC fighters were.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

Quote Originally Posted by The8thPlague View Post
    but even if he was gone LW would still be the best division.
    Is it really? A couple years ago, yea. But in 2013-present, I'd say no.

And Sak, I don't understand your comment at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

Anyone who somehow still thinks dana is a good business man should look at this. Ask yourself how you'd fare if you let petty emotional bullshit prevent you from keeping some of the best talent in your company, and publicized that you were letting your boss clean up the mess you were incapable of resolving.

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    If he is gone, it makes the LW division a lot less interesting.
    yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by nbm02ss View Post
    Well, this would be a huge loss to LW.
    yes.
    While Gilbert is one of the best LW's around, and could be a champion on any given night, he doesn't have alot of negotiating power at the moment.
    I disagree. I don't think zuffa wants a top 3 talent to go fight elsewhere...specifically when Bellator's LW division is one of it's best performing.

Henderson, Thompson, Grant, Aldo, Gilbert can easily be lost by the UFC. They have proven they do not need the best fighters to make people believe they have the best fighters.
    That would be soooooooo incredibly foolish. Build a house of cards, and eventually it tumbles down. Even if zuffa doesn't market him as such, Aldo is #1 p4p...that would be dumb, even by dana white standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    Oh well, I've always found him to be quite overrated. The level of competition he faced in Strikeforce isn't remotely close to the level he'll face in UFC. I even had Thompson beating him in their last fight. He most likely still thinks he beat Henderson, and is asking for way more money than someone with a 1-1 UFC record is worth.
    I still think he won that fight, too. 1 and 1 records can be deceiving if you only look at the win/loss column. He had a great fight against Henderson with a controversial decision, and then a FOTN. He's top 3 talent, and the UFC isn't going broke over giving him a contract.

This is a pissing contest between dana and Georges, Melendez is collateral damage because anyone who is connected to GSP is seen as the enemy in dana's overly emotional reactionary perspective.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    Wait, losing Melendez makes things a lot LESS interested?

LULZ

Explain?

Michael Chandler wants Gilbert Melendez to come to Bellator

Bellator lightweight Michael Chandler. He tweeted that he'd be interested in fighting Melendez in Bellator:

Seeing this news about @GilbertMelendez has me excited. Who wants to see me welcome him to @BellatorMMA after I beat Eddie?
    — Michael Chandler (@MikeChandlerMMA) February 13, 2014

I'd enjoy any combination of a Chandler/Melendez/Alvarez fight
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    I still think he won that fight, too. 1 and 1 records can be deceiving if you only look at the win/loss column. He had a great fight against Henderson with a controversial decision, and then a FOTN. He's top 3 talent, and the UFC isn't going broke over giving him a contract.

rh
    Very well put. Don't get me wrong, I don't think he's a bad fighter, I just don't think he's nearly as good as he thinks he is. What I was trying to say is that with a 1-1 UFC record, he doesn't have many chips to bargain with and combine that with his "I'm the best in the world" mindset I could easily see how negotiations could go south fast.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

I'd bet on him to beat Pettis if Aldo doesn't get there first.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

9. Default

And Sak, I don't understand your comment at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Explain?
    I've never viewed Melendez as the great fighter that he thinks he is. He beat a punched out, bloated, shell of his former self Diego Sanchez in his current UFC stint and still got rocked in the process. One fighter does NOT make a division in 2014. Especially the best division IMO that the UFC has.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

Almost 8 years at or near the top 5 in a weight class pretty much solidifies your status IMO. Throw in the fact that he walked directly into the UFC and fought the defending champion to a highly questionable split decision also justifies his status as the great fighter most people believe him to be.

Bloated?

You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

Thread Information