Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: UFC not re-signing Gilbert Melendez

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post

How many organizations are you talking about?
    My count was 4 that we know of - Pride, Bodog, Affliction, and Strikeforce

While I don't blame M1 directly for any of their failures they weren't saviours either

Strikeforce ended up failing because of zuffa's unwillingness to promote it. It had nothing to do with lack of exposure. Their business model--including working with M1, negotiating with DREAM, etc--got them to the point where they were a viable threat to the UFC and necessitated the Fertitta's taking direct action by buying it out.
    I view it differently... if they were that viable they wouldn't have sold out to Zuffa.

I haven't seen the books--and neither have you, I'd bet--but I heard differently. The bulk of the money went to M1, but there was back end for SF. And much like zuffa's current model of losing money to pimp fights in new markets, that's part of an expansion phase with business. Most importantly, it didn't cost SF money, as it's costing zuffa--thus necessitating the initial cost hike for zuffa's products.
    You don't think Strikeforce was paying an extremely high rate for Fedor based on returns and what their business was able to generate off his fights ? Their gate numbers would seem to suggest otherwise at the time

Your effect doesn't equate with your cause.
    You're thinking short-term, much like zuffa's current plan.
    Your entirely overlooking an antagonistic relationship with zuffa, counter-programming, a vicious pogram of slander and disparagement from dana among a huge body of [ignorant] fight fans, etc.
    I'm not thinking of this any any terms of length I'm seeing the end result.

If any m1 co-promotion was really that valuable then they would have had no problem overcoming counter programming or Dana's words... it's not like Dana was counter programming them globally or that his words would have swayed the russian fans of mma

Co-promotion can certainly work. It wouldn't work in the current business model of zuffa and many of the smaller orgs. You'd need a lot of more genuinely confident--but not ego-driven--CEOs to look at the end product and the long term instead of short term, fear-based--how-does-this-make-ME-look-mentalities. Which is exactly what you're getting with dana.
    I'm not saying co-promotion cant work between two companies that have something to offer each other and are able to work together. Based on M1's track record they aren't one of the companies I'd pick to be one of them and we both know Zuffa doesn't play well with others at the best of times

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    I'm not saying co-promotion cant work between two companies that have something to offer each other and are able to work together. Based on M1's track record they aren't one of the companies I'd pick to be one of them and we both know Zuffa doesn't play well with others at the best of times
    Zuffa has consistently undertaken actions to push the borderlines of monopoly as best as they could.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivethead
    Co-promotion can certainly work. It wouldn't work in the current business model of zuffa and many of the smaller orgs. You'd need a lot of more genuinely confident--but not ego-driven--CEOs to look at the end product and the long term instead of short term, fear-based--how-does-this-make-ME-look-mentalities. Which is exactly what you're getting with dana.
    In a hyper-capitalist society, all CEOs act in this manner. Entertainment is no different than something like fracking. Maximal profits at any cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post

In a hyper-capitalist society, all CEOs act in this manner. Entertainment is no different than something like fracking. Maximal profits at any cost.
    Personally I'm a lot more opposed to fracking then fighter pay being low

White: Rebeny is 'out of his f--- mind'
    Recently Gilbert Melendez is the star athlete in a showdown between Bellator and the UFC, recently having reached terms with Bellator, and waiting to see if the UFC will match those terms. UFC President Dana White was having a tough time dealing with Melendez's manager, but he has no problems with the fighter. On the other hand, he still has nothing good to say about Bellator President Bjorn Rebney:

"That dude's out of his f--- mind," he said.

He then pivoted from Rebney to Bellator's corporate parent.

"Nobody can f---- deal with those guys," White said. "Viacom will sue you til you f------ bleed. Sue you til you bleed. That's a whole ‘nother ballgame over there. Everyone wants to talk like the UFC is bullies? They're the f----- bullies over there. They've got these contracts you can't get out of."

White: Good for Gil Melendez, no hard feelings
    At a UFC 170 pre fight media event, White addressed the issue.

"Gilbert is out there testing the market. Good for him," said White as transcribed by FOXSports. "I don't have any hard feelings towards Gilbert Melendez. Not a big fans of the guys I was dealing with, but this happens sometimes. So you know what happens? I don't deal with it."

White said given his worth, he understood Melendez's decision, and couldn't quite understand all the uproar of whether he would return.

"Here's the thing that's funny about it is it's either one or the other," said White. "'We're a monopoly, guys can't make more money, guys can't do this.' Now the guy's out there, it's free trade. He's out there testing the waters, seeing what he's worth and now it's like some big f---ing issue. 'He's the #1 guy. You're not going to sign him...ahh'. He's out there testing the waters man. This is how this s--- works.Is it a bad thing? I thought this is what everybody wanted? 'There's no money. UFC has all the money and these guys can't do this'. Now this is a big, f---ing negative issue. I don't get it."

It is being reported now that the UFC has matched Bellator's offer, and Gilbert will be coaching TUF and getting a title shot

WHAT!?

What a crazy turn of events. I wonder if Lorenzo and Frank completely disregarded Dana and made this decision alone.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/2/23...lbert-melendez

The UFC has agreed to match Bellator's offer sheet to keep top-ranked free-agent lightweight Gilbert Melendez, sources close to the situation told MMAFighting.com on Sunday.

Per the terms of the agreement, according to several sources, Melendez's deal guarantees that at least 75 percent of the 31-year-old's fights will be contested on pay-per-view moving forward. Additionally, income earned from Melendez's contracted pay-per-view points will kick in at a lower minimum buy rate than for any contract in UFC history, meaning Melendez will still earn pay-per-view point earnings on an event that performs poorly at the box office.

Melendez will also earn pay-per-view income regardless of his placement on an event, i.e., regardless of whether he fights in the main event, co-main event or main card.

Altogether, the terms of the deal will likely make Melendez one of the highest paid fighters in the current mixed martial arts landscape.

Upon learning of the deal, MMAFighting.com reached out to Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney, who issued the following statement.

"It's my understanding that the UFC matched the deal we agreed to with Gilbert," Rebney said. "While I haven't yet spoken to Gilbert's management team, I have heard from various sources that the UFC matched our offer. We have a stacked lightweight roster and Gil would have made a great addition to it, yet I'm glad he was able to go out, explore the free agent market and get paid what he deserves. That's what the free market system is all about. I'm happy for Gil, that through this process he was able to ensure long term financial security for himself and his family. That's what the fighters that put it all on the line inside the cage deserve.

"This process has shown that in MMA, there are two legitimate options for fighters. And, as I said last week, with two large scale options for fighters in MMA, fighters negotiating power is dramatically improved. Our actions throughout this process accomplished that for Gilbert right now, and in the future it will do the same for countless additional fighters. Some will end up in Bellator and some will end up in the UFC. But, either way, the sport benefits. Now our focus turns to the task at hand, which is our Season 10 kickoff this Friday on Spike TV."

UFC officials did not immediately return requests to comment.

Currently the No. 2 ranked lightweight on the UFC roster, Melendez agreed to terms with Bellator MMA on an undisclosed "multi-fight, multi-year" deal in mid-February following soured contract negotiations with the UFC. Due to the terms of Melendez's original Zuffa contract, the UFC retained the right to match any competing offer, which it has now elected to do.

Melendez holds a 1-1 record under the UFC banner. Following the collapse of Strikeforce, where Melendez served as the promotion's long-reigning lightweight champion, Melendez fought to a controversial split decision loss against then-UFC title holder Benson Henderson in his Octagon debut. He followed up that performance with a ‘Fight of the Year' candidate win over Diego Sanchez, which UFC President Dana White called "one of the best fights I've ever seen."

UPDATE: Following the release of this report, UFC officials announced that Melendez will coach opposite lightweight champion Anthony Pettis on season 20 of The Ultimate Fighter, which will be followed by a title fight between the two coaches in late-2014.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

6. Default

Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    Ugh.
    The deal guarantees that at least 75% of Melendez's fights will be contested on pay-per-view in the future. Furthermore, income earned from Melendez's contracted pay-per-view points will kick in at a lower minimum buy rate than any other contract in UFC history. This means Melendez will still garner pay-per-view point earnings on an event that performs poorly.
    Melendez will also earn pay-per-view income regardless of his placement on an event, i.e., regardless of whether he fights in the main event, co-main event or main card.
    The terms of the deal will likely make Melendez one of the highest paid fighters in modern MMA.

I personally think that is way too fucking much for a guy with 2 UFC fights and is 1-1. Yeah he is very, very good but they should've let him go instead of giving him this huge deal when a vast majority of fighters are underpaid. What excuse will the UFC now have not to give more fighter significant raises like this one? Melendez's camp pretty much owned Zuffa in this deal.

There is also now way in hell he should get a title shot after only one win against a guy who is past his prime and currently nowhere near contention.

Good for Gilbert though, hopefully this is the beginning of a new trend in fighter pay I just highly doubt that is the case and will just piss off more fighters.
    Last edited by IceCold48; 02-24-2014 at 03:25 AM.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Wow, I wonder if this will encourage other fighters to play the market a little more. Melendez made out huge in this deal, good for him.

yessir.. just saw it like an hour ago. I prefer the super fight but shit happens I guess. Here's the article I wrote about the news if you guys want to read it.

http://guardianlv.com/2014/02/anthon...fc-tuf-series/
    "I AM THE PUNISHMENT OF GOD, IF YOU HAVE NOT COMMITTED GREAT SINS GOD WOULD NOT HAVE SENT A PUNISHMENT LIKE ME UPON YOU."

~ Genghis Khan

I wish they stopped doing TUF for at least a couple of years. They have made like 10 different TUFs in the last 3-4 years.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Thread Information