+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Overeem turned down two fight offers with Dos Santos

I believe AO is acutely aware that he needs to get his conditionong in order. He has to be a credible threat for more than two minutes. He was completely out classing Silva and Browne before he gassed. I don't think he's necessarily afraid of Dos Santos, I think he knows if he didn't finish him early he'd lose and then be out of the UFC. I'd continue to work on my conditioning as well.
    ROCK...CHALK...JAYHAWK

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    If overrem had such a shity performance and all this other shit dana says about him why would they throw him at the number 2 ranked guy in the division. Seems a little odd to me considering AO is 2-2 in his last 4 fights - that doesnt scream #1 contender fight.
    JDS vs Overeem is a fight that many have wanted to see for some time. Reem's UFC campaign has been a disappointment, and UFC's rationale is probably to strike while the iron is hot; make the fight now with Overeem coming off of a win. They don't usually make fights in which one fighter is coming off a loss and the other a victory. But considering the name value and lack of depth at HW, the time to make this fight is right now before another upset devalues Alistair's drawing power (i.e. Reem vs Bigfoot Silva).

Quote Originally Posted by trustkill View Post
    JDS vs Overeem is a fight that many have wanted to see for some time. Reem's UFC campaign has been a disappointment, and UFC's rationale is probably to strike while the iron is hot; make the fight now with Overeem coming off of a win. They don't usually make fights in which one fighter is coming off a loss and the other a victory. But considering the name value and lack of depth at HW, the time to make this fight is right now before another upset devalues Alistair's drawing power (i.e. Reem vs Bigfoot Silva).

if that were the case they would be playing up the fact that he is coming off a win rather than how shity his last fight was and how much of a pussy - paraphrase what dana white said Overrem is (which i do not agree with). In all honesty i was hoping for a Overrem / Hunt fight.

September 27, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    if that were the case they would be playing up the fact that he is coming off a win rather than how shity his last fight was and how much of a pussy - paraphrase what dana white said Overrem is (which i do not agree with). In all honesty i was hoping for a Overrem / Hunt fight.
    A win for JDS over Overeem re-establishes him at least through marketing as a top heavyweight and certainly allows him to be hyped as the guy who outstruck a K1 Champ. Dana is trying to bait Alistar into taking this fight and I don't think they have any interest in him winning at this point. They want to boost up JDS and in turn see Oveereem's stock decline so that when it comes time to resign he either does it much cheaper then before or he has little value to other fight promotions.

Hunt and Overeem will likely happen farther down the line

I immediately thought about what reem said about working out a few training issues before moving back into contention. This should be backed up by his camp-changing and different approach.

The guy just got done with a "loser leaves town" fight and is ranked at 7. Why the fuck would he jump head first into a fight with the #1 contender if he's still ironing stuff out. Moreover, how is it hiding or dodging when he's lower on the ladder?

This story smells funny.

*****Rant- I really hate the fact that things are spun this way. Taking a fight is a personal, medical, and business decision. Injury, mind state, life events, contract, etc. all have to be considered. Yet, turning down a fight means you are clearly scared of the opponent. This shit is ridiculous.
    Last edited by SimpleJack; 02-13-2014 at 02:55 AM.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

Helwani is just creating shit and sticking his big nose where it doesn't belong as he has in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    A win for JDS over Overeem re-establishes him at least through marketing as a top heavyweight and certainly allows him to be hyped as the guy who outstruck a K1 Champ. Dana is trying to bait Alistar into taking this fight and I don't think they have any interest in him winning at this point. They want to boost up JDS and in turn see Oveereem's stock decline so that when it comes time to resign he either does it much cheaper then before or he has little value to other fight promotions.
    ...and if AO somehow caught lightning in a bottle and beats JDS--on any given night, a Matt Serra can beat a GSP--zuffa immediately fast tracks him into title shot with Cain. It's money, either way.

Hunt and Overeem will likely happen farther down the line
    It's a good fight, if Hunt is healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    *****Rant- I really hate the fact that things are spun this way. Taking a fight is a personal, medical, and business decision. Injury, mind state, life events, contract, etc. all have to be considered. Yet, turning down a fight means you are clearly scared of the opponent. This shit is ridiculous.
    Quite often, when I consider how much I do not like my boss, I think about what it would be like to work for dana.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    Helwani is just creating shit and sticking his big nose where it doesn't belong as he has in the past.
    Isn't that technically his job?

I don't think it's his job to often times criticize the heart and dedication of men who are substantially more brave and motivated than he is.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

Then make Overeem vs Hunt

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information