Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Overeem turned down two fight offers with Dos Santos

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    If overrem had such a shity performance and all this other shit dana says about him why would they throw him at the number 2 ranked guy in the division. Seems a little odd to me considering AO is 2-2 in his last 4 fights - that doesnt scream #1 contender fight.
    I havent seen anywhere where Dana calls Overeem v.JDS to be a title eliminator.
    I think DW just wants to watch AO get comepletely dismantled before he cuts him his pink slip and sends him on his way,

H.
    Welcome to Sunnyvale.
    No, wait..Fuck you!

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    I don't think it's his job to often times criticize the heart and dedication of men who are substantially more brave and motivated than he is.
    I honestly think that's his strategy...if he talks smack about guys that dana is currently pissed at, dana is happy. If dana is happy, helwani gets more and more access/exposure/psuedo-fame. He's dana's media bitch.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

I don't think it's his job to often times criticize the heart and dedication of men who are substantially more brave and motivated than he is.
    Pshh, people who don't except fights because of injuries are pussies. /sarcasm

It seems like recently Dana is throwing hissy fits every time he doesn't get his way. No matter what the circumstances are, he will warp the story and throw someone under the bus.

It's not a recent thing.

He's just now extending it to the fighters many people like/respect more.

It was all well and good when he trashed Tito, Randy, Fedor, Frank S., Roy Nelson, and anyone else who didn't bow to his every demand.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

It's not a recent thing.

He's just now extending it to the fighters many people like/respect more.

It was all well and good when he trashed Tito, Randy, Fedor, Frank S., Roy Nelson, and anyone else who didn't bow to his every demand.
    I know it's not recent, but it seems like it is at an all time high. Maybe it is just the amount of interviews he is doing now days, but there seems to be almost a story a day popping up with him spouting more ridiculous bs.

He's been on his period since the GSP thing for sure.

Obviously he's going to smear Reem because another loss and he's either taking a HUGE paycut or he's likely gone. He wants to make sure he's got plenty of ammo to drop his drawing power in other orgs.

What was his contract? 3 guaranteed fights with potential for eight total?
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

Quote Originally Posted by initial_zen View Post
    I know it's not recent, but it seems like it is at an all time high. Maybe it is just the amount of interviews he is doing now days, but there seems to be almost a story a day popping up with him spouting more ridiculous bs.
    More media coverage of the sport is a big part of it so he's more likely to be asked questions where he goes off on a stupid rant as he lacks the filter to keep things to himself that he probably should.

Also with the way the roster of the fighters has grown in the last couple of years and the push to keep putting on more shows every year he's gonna have more cause (at least in his mind) to get upset about things that don't work out the way he wants them to.

Quote Originally Posted by Flynnja View Post
    Isn't that technically his job?
    no he is a reporter and interviewer for MMA media outlets, not a gossip columnist for TMZ.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    no he is a gossip columnist for UFC, not a reporter and interviewer for MMA media outlets.
    Fixed
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

I don't really understand this and while I'll acknowledge that Dana is throwing a major league hissy lately, IMO this is silly on Overeem's part.

For me, Overeem is 1-2 in his last three and is being offered a chance at the #1 HW contender on the planet(with Cain being the absolute #1 HW), with potential to leapfrog over a bunch of competitors in contendership conversation. IMO, if Overeem were to get a big win over JDS(not bloody likely), I think there's a big argument for booking Cain/Overeem in Mexico, which probably draws a helluva lot better than either Browne or Werdum and it's not like UFC stands behind their titleshot promises....

So, I look at it like this, who else would they match Overeem up with at this point? He's lost to Bigfoot and Browne, we all sat through the snoozefest of Werdum II.......

So they have very few options:

Barnett makes the most sense and would be a helluva cool matchup, but i think Josh would be able to neutralize Overeem and possibly turn it into a dull fight where he suffocates Overeem and works for subs....actually that sounds like a fun fight since I love me some catch.....

Or, if ZUFFA thinks Overeem's getting paid a shitload and his stock is dropping and he's made it clear he doesn't want a top caliber challenger like JDS(two turndowns and the muffed piss test scream to me, rib injury or not, that he wants nothing to do with JDS), I'm thinking they may try and book Overeem in a bout where there's a chance that he might put a newer name over. So, like a Stipe Miocic, who is building a resume could work, but he'll have to survive the first, and that match doesn't have much cache.

I suppose they can book him against Hunt II, but Hunt is a helluva risk given that he's not that highly ranked as JDS(again, beating JDS puts him right in the title hunt) and Hunt has the heart which Overeem most definitely lacks.

Nelson/Big Nog is on the books, but Big Nog isn't known to stay healthy, so I wonder MAYBE, Overeem is waiting to cherry pick a late notice fight against Nelson, who I think he matches up quite well against. There's also Gonzaga, who would probably be the SAFEST matchup and could be interesting, but Napao sometimes lays eggs or gets rocks early in fights and where do you go if Gonzaga wins that fight, which is a possibility?

Schaub isn't anywhere near Overeem's level, but Brandon Vera could be really fun if they just stand, but Vera is the most hit-or-miss(more often than not, he misses) fighter in MMA IMO, so that doesn't seem likely and again is a huge drop in rankings.

One name that comes to mind is Shane Carwin, who threw his name in to fight Lesnar when those rumours were swirling earlier this year. Carwin/Overeem could be a big HW co-main and they could definitely sell it as a "Clash of the Titans" type showdown. Unsure if Carwin's body can take a full-camp though, so even the "probably unlikely" match ups don't seem too promising.

An unknown like Oleynik, coming off victories over Monson and Crocop has a very decent shot at Overeem, but why risk booking such a massive name against an unknown, especially one who's small for HW and up there in age???

IDK, Overeem turning down this fight feels like a case of him going, "That guy's going to stomp me, so I'm not taking that fight". If he's injured or wouldn't be ready to take the fight when they wanted to book it, at that level of matchup, I'm sure they would have looked to compromise to get that big of a fight on the books. Overeem turning down the fight doesn't make sense to me, given the open opportunity to make a major jump at HW and Dana saying this, while lacking cred, feels like a goading ploy.

My bet, the money is in an Overeem/JDS fight, but Hunt II is a possibility, especially if they want to book a Japan card and same goes for Barnett, who I think would be the most likely matchup for Overeem.

Meh, I genuinely see this as a non-gassed Overeem seeing his chances against JDS as slim and tucking his tail. You don't pass up a shot at the #2 HW on the planet otherwise, too much benefit, especially given his recent run and the fact that he shouldn't really be getting this level of a fight to begin with....
    Last edited by Fedorlei Gomipierre; 02-13-2014 at 10:50 AM.

Thread Information