Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Chael Sonnen vs. Wanderlei Silva Upgraded to Main Event, Moves to UFC Event in Brazil

Hybrid View

Default Chael Sonnen vs. Wanderlei Silva Upgraded to Main Event, Moves to UFC Event in Brazil

Chael Sonnen vs. Wanderlei Silva Upgraded to Main Event, Moves to UFC Event in Brazil

There has been a slight modification to the fight between Chael Sonnen and Wanderlei Silva.

No, Sonnen has not been tapped to replace Rashad Evans at next week’s UFC 170 in Las Vegas, Evans’ fight with Daniel Cormier was scrapped on Wednesday. Try as he might, Sonnen couldn’t convince UFC president Dana White to make that move.

Instead, the Sonnen vs. Silva fight has been moved from its original co-main event slot at UFC 173 to a headlining position on a UFC Fight Night card on May 31 somewhere in Brazil.

A venue and city have yet to be announced, but the date is set.

The two The Ultimate Fighter Brazil 3 coaches will meet in a light heavyweight bout, as long as they can refrain from any further altercations before May 31.

Sonnen and Silva have had a longstanding rivalry that spilled over into a physical altercation during the filming of TUF Brazil 3, which is just about to finish shooting.

“Wanderlei and Chael fought. Just today. They literally fought,” White said during a media luncheon with MMAWeekly.com a couple weeks ago.

He didn’t provide much detail, but said there was a physical confrontation between the two and that at least one other person from Silva’s team was involved.

“While they were fighting, one of Wanderlei’s guys sucker punched Chael,” White continued. “It went on for awhile.”

He later said that there was punishment doled out for the incident, but that we’d have to wait for the show to air on UFC Fight Pass to find out what the punishment was, since it was integrated into the reality show.

UFC 173 features middleweight champion Chris Weidman putting his belt on the line against Vitor Belfort in the night’s main event on May 24 in Las Vegas.
    Well. . . UFC 173 was a stacked card but this changes things. Let's just keep thinning out these fight cards as much as possible.

This match up is probably needed to replace the proposed Overeem vs Dos Santos in Brazil which never materialized. Good grief.

Damn, if it's a Fight Night, then it will probably be on UFC Fight Pass, rather than aired on TV. Bummer.

3. 02-13-2014, 07:40 PM

I missed the fight pass thing, is that something you have to pay for?

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Damn, if it's a Fight Night, then it will probably be on UFC Fight Pass, rather than aired on TV. Bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by VimyRidge View Post
    I missed the fight pass thing, is that something you have to pay for?
    Of course!
    UFC wants you to pay for almost everything. If you don't, Dana (and some posters here) will bash you.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    Of course!
    UFC wants you to pay for almost everything. If you don't, Dana will sue you.
    Fixed

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    Of course!
    UFC wants you to pay for almost everything. If you don't, Dana (and some posters here) will bash you.
    LOL. There is ways of finding out about things that dont require you to steal/illegally stream their content. You could read about it. But your like the modern day robin hood, right? You steal from the rich (UFC) to give back to the poor (you).

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    You are probably right but I do not get this? What the fuck is this fight pass bullshit anyway. I thought the whole Idea behind the Fox deal was to have big fights on Network TV every quarter in and smaller non PPV fight nights more frequently on Cable TV. I honestly don't care about the 10 dollars but its just fucking annoying. This feels like the time in the post that I should through out a Fuck Dana but I have trouble believing that Dana as the figurehead really has this much power. In my opinion this would be OK for like say the China fight but the fights in England and Brazil should still be on cable if they are big fights. If they are local TUF crap then fine fight pass only. The UFC seems to be going regional with a big name in the main event. That is just stupid. Sure a local name in the main on fight pass is fine, but Chael and Silva????? I know they want to go mainstream but this is not the way. Not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by The Return Of...... View Post
    You are probably right but I do not get this? What the fuck is this fight pass bullshit anyway. I thought the whole Idea behind the Fox deal was to have big fights on Network TV every quarter in and smaller non PPV fight nights more frequently on Cable TV. I honestly don't care about the 10 dollars but its just fucking annoying. This feels like the time in the post that I should through out a Fuck Dana but I have trouble believing that Dana as the figurehead really has this much power. In my opinion this would be OK for like say the China fight but the fights in England and Brazil should still be on cable if they are big fights. If they are local TUF crap then fine fight pass only. The UFC seems to be going regional with a big name in the main event. That is just stupid. Sure a local name in the main on fight pass is fine, but Chael and Silva????? I know they want to go mainstream but this is not the way. Not even close.
    Dana was just talking about Fight Pass and these overseas events at the pre fight night scrum yesterday. 'Apparently' the UFC booked a bunch of extra cards after Fox already planned out their budget for the year. Fox is unable to air these overseas events so if it was not for Fight Pass, American viewers would not even have been able to watch today's fights.

As for the Sonen vs Silva event, rumors are the UFC is going to be holding two events in one day this year, Wanderlei vs Sonnon will be one of the events on the double event day. But either way, dont worry about it... Sonnen wont make it to the Wanderlei fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Dana was just talking about Fight Pass and these overseas events at the pre fight night scrum yesterday. 'Apparently' the UFC booked a bunch of extra cards after Fox already planned out their budget for the year. Fox is unable to air these overseas events so if it was not for Fight Pass, American viewers would not even have been able to watch today's fights.

As for the Sonen vs Silva event, rumors are the UFC is going to be holding two events in one day this year, Wanderlei vs Sonnon will be one of the events on the double event day. But either way, dont worry about it... Sonnen wont make it to the Wanderlei fight.
    I can deal with it being extra fights then. Thanks for the info. I hadn't read or heard that yet.

I hope Chael makes it and Wandy knocks him out like he did Rampage back in Pride.

Thread Information