Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Chael Sonnen vs. Wanderlei Silva Upgraded to Main Event, Moves to UFC Event in Brazil

1. Default

As shown by the skirmish that happened when Wandy had two good knees, his reaction time was horrendous. Had Chael just decided back then to take him down without warning, then Wandy would of got blown off his feet, crutches flying every which way.

I don't think anyone wanted Chael to fight him. I don't remember anyone actually saying anything close to that.
    Then I implore you to revisit that whole shindig.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    I can't help but think if sonnen had flinched toward Wandi in that confontation, very bad things would have happened to him
    Like I said above, a man fresh off of knee surgery hopping around isn't doing "very bad things" to anyone, especially a trained fighter. I would venture to say that unless in that one swing Wandy KO'd Chael, Chael wholeheartedly taking him down and mashing on him.

sonnen is an overwhelming favorite to win in a cage, with rules and officials. Anywhere else, I can't help but think that Wandi--even diminished, as he is--has the edge.
    How would he have an edge? We just saw them in a skirmish and Wandy did NOTHING to make me believe we could do anything outside of having his friends around to hit Chael from behind. Chael took Wandy down and Wandy is saying "Oh my back hurts, this and that hurts"..doesn't sound too tough to me.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

yeah.

You're welcome to believe that TUF nonsense wasn't staged. I don't. Which is not to say that sonnen won't take Wandi down and pillow fist him to a very easy decision if they do fight in a cage, with refs and rules and officials--which is something I actually doubt will happen. I doubt Wandi actually makes the bout.

But in an actual fight, where there aren't any refs, I'd take a faded, one-legged Wandi on crutches over a healthy sonnen every day, all day. I'm not talking about a bout, or a contest, I'm talking about an actual fight.

chael was raised with rules. Wandi wasn't.

I've seen more than one decorated black belt get painfully schooled by guys who've never rolled or boxed in a gym but who have grown up in shitty environments that put a half-inch of scar tissue on their knuckles before they had hair on their balls.

For all his almost-olympian skillset and "relentless" takedowns, sonnen has been a points fighter for the bulk of his career. I feel like Wandi is closer to Palhares, where he has to keep his instincts on a leash in the UFC.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

3. Default

Yup.

I've seen more than one decorated black belt get painfully schooled by guys who've never rolled or boxed in a gym but who have grown up in shitty environments that put a half-inch of scar tissue on their knuckles before they had hair on their balls.
    Where the fuck are you from?

Sak if you are questioning Wands toughness then i question your intelligence as an MMA fan. Wand has been in a ton of fights in rings, cages, and probably a lot of other venues , and fought with countless injuries through the years. The guy just likes to hit people and likes to get hit. His chin may not like it anymore, but the mentality is still there.

I for one did not want to see wand fight Chael he is a horrible match up for Wand. Sonnen rides Wand to a decision unless Wand haymakers Sonnen at some point between take downs.

I don't care if it was staged or not. I personally think it was. There have been a couple of fights I ever wanted to see between coaches outside the octagon. Tito VS Shamrock when they were going off on each other that felt real to me. Penn VS Pulver would be second place, because Pulver genuinely hated Penn at the time. Thats a little off topic
    Fav Fighters: Penn, Wand, Fedor, Genki, Shields, Rashad, Pulver, Diaz bros, Melendez.

sometimes it's difficult to believe you were incarcerated.

I'm from a normal working class background. I've gotten my ass kicked more than a few times, and I've kicked a few asses. Nothing special.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

6. Default

Where did I question his toughness?

sometimes it's difficult to believe you were incarcerated.
    I'm gonna take it as a compliment although I'm sure you were already back to insulting me.

I'm from a normal working class background. I've gotten my ass kicked more than a few times, and I've kicked a few asses. Nothing special.
    But that's not what you said.

've seen more than one decorated black belt get painfully schooled by guys who've never rolled or boxed in a gym but who have grown up in shitty environments that put a half-inch of scar tissue on their knuckles before they had hair on their balls.
    That's what you said. I'm not taking about kicking ass and getting your ass kicked. You brought up seeing more than you decorated black belt get schooled by guys who never trained. That prompted me to ask where are you from that you saw that?

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post

How would he have an edge? We just saw them in a skirmish and Wandy did NOTHING to make me believe we could do anything outside of having his friends around to hit Chael from behind. Chael took Wandy down and Wandy is saying "Oh my back hurts, this and that hurts"..doesn't sound too tough to me.

Sounds like you are questioning his toughness to me. Maybe not to you, but it did to me. So i decided to tell you why you were wrong in doing so.

Saying a man could only win a fight by having his friends fight for him sounds like you are saying he isn't tough on his own. Then you say he just complains about injuries after a scrum, and you actually typed out "doesn't sound too tough to me". So i would go out on a limb and say you questioned Wands toughness, manhood ect......
    Fav Fighters: Penn, Wand, Fedor, Genki, Shields, Rashad, Pulver, Diaz bros, Melendez.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    Where did I question his toughness?
    That's what you said. I'm not taking about kicking ass and getting your ass kicked. You brought up seeing more than you decorated black belt get schooled by guys who never trained. That prompted me to ask where are you from that you saw that?
    To be fair, this is totally believable, it just depends what kind of black belts they are. TKD gives them out like candy and for others, if they aren't training with some kind of semblance of a real fight, they rarely work to any benefit.

Thread Information