Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Chael Sonnen vs. Wanderlei Silva Upgraded to Main Event, Moves to UFC Event in Brazil

1. Default

And this is gonna borderline on trollish but....

If one is to believe that this entire fight was fixed for ratings. money, skittles, whatever. Is it crazy to believe that Wandy could of been in other fixed fights in his career?
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    Brazil is not a third world country. I know you were exaggerating to prove a point but it is pretty ignorant to assume that just because they are worse off than US or Canada means they are automatically classified as third world. You obviously don't know what a third world country is.
    Riv was not referring to the Brazil of today, you have to consider the Brazil at the time of Wanderlei's adolescence.
    Last edited by Cat--Smasher; 04-18-2014 at 03:02 AM.

It was during the Cold War when the classification began and it certainly was during the time of Wandy's youth. It had a few modern cities but they were surrounded by favelas and undeveloped rural areas.

Their boom took place post-90's.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

On a list of thing i can do in flip flops; taking down a MMA legend shouldnt be listed next to shuffle board. hahahahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    And this is gonna borderline on trollish but....

If one is to believe that this entire fight was fixed for ratings. money, skittles, whatever. Is it crazy to believe that Wandy could of been in other fixed fights in his career?

The exact same point I have brought up, Sonnen is the one to claim Wanderlei is willing to fix a fight. We all know Sonnen is willing to be dishonest for monetary gains.... I dont think the fight was fixed but I do think it was set up and planned to happen.. Maybe Sonnen was a little more aware of the plans than Wanderlei, maybe not. Sounds much like Sonnen's Pride claims against Wandy.

I don't mean to show the former wrestler chip that's on my shoulder, but I get sick of it being treated like it's not useful in a street fight. I actually think that a ref being there to stand them up would be a saving grace, so if anything, a street fight favors a guy that can hold the other guy down. They are just as capable of poking an eye, biting, or breaking some fingers, but they can do it from a much more dominant position, where their punches will be more effective. I also feel like the old "hold him there until he died of dehydration" line should go in here somewhere.
    USA! USA! USA!

Stealing is wrong!

Well, the way I see it, people often say that martial arts are useless in a street fight because the other guy may be carrying a weapon, or his friends may come to help him kick in the head while you are down, and stuff like that.

However if it is a 1 on 1 fight between a trained martial artist and an untrained person, then obviously the trained person will destroy the untrained one.

I trained boxing few years ago with a former professional boxer. And some months ago he got assaulted by 4 dudes in the street. Well he knocked the fuck out of 3 of them and broke the nose of the 4th one. And he ended just with a little cut in the lips.
    You should not be a genius to realize that a trained person can kill an untrained one, it does not matter if it is in the street or in a dojo.
    The thing is that in a street fight, the "untrained" person may be carrying a knife or a gun, and in that case, no matter how a great Martial Artist you are, you are in some really deep shit.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    Well, the way I see it, people often say that martial arts are useless in a street fight because the other guy may be carrying a weapon, or his friends may come to help him kick in the head while you are down, and stuff like that.

However if it is a 1 on 1 fight between a trained martial artist and an untrained person, then obviously the trained person will destroy the untrained one.

I trained boxing few years ago with a former professional boxer. And some months ago he got assaulted by 4 dudes in the street. Well he knocked the fuck out of 3 of them and broke the nose of the 4th one. And he ended just with a little cut in the lips.
    You should not be a genius to realize that a trained person can kill an untrained one, it does not matter if it is in the street or in a dojo.
    The thing is that in a street fight, the "untrained" person may be carrying a knife or a gun, and in that case, no matter how a great Martial Artist you are, you are in some really deep shit.
    I plan to get my concealed carry permit next month. Street Fighting Skill Level +1000
    USA! USA! USA!

Stealing is wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    I don't mean to show the former wrestler chip that's on my shoulder, but I get sick of it being treated like it's not useful in a street fight. I actually think that a ref being there to stand them up would be a saving grace, so if anything, a street fight favors a guy that can hold the other guy down. They are just as capable of poking an eye, biting, or breaking some fingers, but they can do it from a much more dominant position, where their punches will be more effective. I also feel like the old "hold him there until he died of dehydration" line should go in here somewhere.
    Personally, I'm not dismissing wrestling. I'm specifically stating that I believe sonnen doesn't have the same level of intuitive violence in his background. One of my brothers heard a rumor that everyone was going to be laid off the following morning. He went to his boss at the end of the day, told him he'd heard the rumor and asked for his money if it was going to be true. The boss lied to him, said the rumor was false, and not to worry about it. Everyone shows up the next morning, and the gates to the site are locked, there is a notice that everyone is laid off. My brother was an angry man. He also knew where his boss would be. So he goes and finds him and asks for his money. His boss was about 5 inches taller than him, 50lbs heavier, 5 years younger...and my brother had had open heart surgery two years previously. His boss told him to fuck off, gave him a little push. My brother knocked the guys eyeball out on the tailgate of his truck, took the money he was owed and went home to wait for the cops.

Certainly, both individuals were at least potentially capable of that level of violence. The tailgate was there for anyone to use. Personally, it wouldn't have been on my radar as a potential tactic. I don't think it was on my brother's former bosses, either.

My point is that a lot of factors can be nullified by someone who sees extreme options and is not only willing to use them, but is willing to use them first, particularly if they have the experience to use it effectively and without hesitation or reservation.

I don't know Wandi, and I don't know sonnen. I don't know what either are capable of--I don't know anything. But speaking in general stereotypes, I'd guess Wandi has less restraint than chael, and is probably more capable and more experienced at extreme violence without the support/structure of rules and officials. Going back to the confrontation with the crutch, I also believe [but I obviously don't know] that sonnen is smart enough to realize that Wandi had bought the kafabe heart and soul and was 100% serious, and that there was at least strong potential for him to get hit with that crutch if he rose to the bait. So he avoided the confrontation.

That doesn't make sonnen scared. It makes him intelligent. He's a convicted felon who earns his livelihood in combat sports. He's aware of consequences. He's capable of weighing risk reward, and he's not emotionally invested like Wandi was.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Brazilians don't know schtick. Thats the problem. Bunch of humorless heathens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Thread Information