Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Chael Sonnen vs. Wanderlei Silva Upgraded to Main Event, Moves to UFC Event in Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    No one ever wanted Chael to fight Wand in the van. It was just hilarious how Chael was talking smack left and right everywhere, and when Wanderlei confronted him, Chael suddenly became all shy and quiet.
    as apposed to what? Was Chael suppose to be the guy who flips out talking shit and getting in the face of a guy on crutches, in the back of a van? Or was Chael just the bigger man between the two...? im going with option B based off recent events between the two and the childish acts we've seen from Wandy as of late.

I'm actually not insulting you. I, personally have never been incarcerated, but I have many close friends who have. You seem to have transcended their experience, and good for you. From what I understand, it can be a tremendous burden.

Again, I'm nothing special. I have a big family, I've got older brothers who are both seriously bad ass and who were less than the greatest of influences, and started taking me to bars while I was in junior high school, ostensibly to teach me to play pool. The bars we went to were mostly biker dives, and fights were common. Before I was in high school, I saw a guy pull out his own teeth--they were bad teeth--with side grip pliers, right there in the bar. Shot of tequila, pull a dead tooth, drop it in the empty glass. Another shot, another tooth. I got great advice from that guy, later on in life.

But fights were pretty common. Not the shit you see on television, mostly short and brutal and shit that I avoided. And I saw guys who had trained to the black belt level come in and think that training was going to serve them, but it was essentially their first fight without actual rules and breaks and officials. Against guys who fought all the time, got up spitting blood, dusted themselves off and bought a round for the guy they just fought. The guys with a ton of training weren't great once there wasn't an rules to support them. Sometimes not even good.

For the record, I don't think Wandi is the ultimate of anything. But in a street fight, he's far more likely to stick his thumb in sonnen's eye to get him off of mount than say, sonnen is to actually knock him out.

rh
    Last edited by rivethead; 04-18-2014 at 12:51 AM.
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

I actually agree that Wand would win in a street fight against Sonnen. Sonnen may win in the UFC (And we still have to see that) but in the street Wand has the experience advantage.

Wand does not have the wrestling or the chin to be a UFC champion, but he is without any doubt one of the toughest guys in MMA history. He used to fight 3 times in one night in bare knuckles fights. And as Riv already said, it is obvious that he was involved in a lot of street fights considering the place where he grew up.

We can not judge how an actual fight between both of them would go by just seeing 10 seconds of a brawl in which 15 other people immediately interfered. And even if we judge a possible outcome based on what we saw, we can also say that Wand was elbowing Sonnen's head (I think that Sonnen's cut was a result of the elbows, and not of Dida's punches) so it is not that he was getting dominated there.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Riv, no disrespect, but I have a hard time viewing a guy as both a guy that is crazy enough to potentially beat somebody with a crutch, AND lose a staged fight to the same person. If you're right, then that is one complicated basket case. I can't believe that somebody would be willing to go to jail by entering into a one legged street fight to defend his country, but also be willing to lose a staged fight to the same guy for the sake of rating or a few bucks. I admit I don't like Wanderlei. I've always viewed him as being over the top, but respected as being real. I just don't think those things line up into one consistent person. I get that people are complicated, and do things that don't always make sense to an outsider, so I don't want to break him down too much. I just don't get how those things line up though.

I also think you are selling Sonnen a bit short too. I've only been in what could be considered one real fight in my life. I'm sure the other guy had been in a ton. I took him down, and he tried some dirty stuff, a ton actually, I just put him in an arm triangle, until I got sick of choking him. I'm no bad ass, and I figured out pretty quickly how to adapt to dirty stuff. I'm sure a guy like Sonnen could easily do the same. I say this to be taken with a grain of salt, but Sonnen claims in his book, to have grown up around gang members, who if I remember correctly, were put in the wrestling program to stay out of trouble. If true, I'm sure he's seen and handled some bad situations. It may not be true, as Sonnen has been known to tell some tales. I tend to believe it though, as it isn't too crazy of a story. If you are to believe that there was any chance of the fight not being staged, then the "I can't let you get that close" would be a good indication that Sonnen is at least aware of a sucker punch being a possibility, which at least tells you that he does have some defenses against dirty fighting.
    USA! USA! USA!

Stealing is wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    ...and Wandi had a metal crutch in his hand.

I don't think anyone wanted Chael to fight him. I don't remember anyone actually saying anything close to that.

I remember people saying Wandi was right in calling Chael out for the kayfabe that is Chael, and saying that Chael was clearly uncomfortable with all of it. I remember thinking that was pretty accurate:

--Chael doesn't hate Wandi or Brazil, but talks a lot of shit to sell fights
    --Wandi doesn't get the joke and was genuinely insulted
    --Chael wanted zero part of a streetfight with a clearly unstable fighter [world-class or former world-class, you take your pick]

If you somehow think that the TUF thing was a genuine fight or that it would have ended the same way if Wandi had a potentially lethal weapon in his hand; you're welcome to your own opinion. But I do not agree with it.

sonnen grew up on the mean streets of Oregon. Wandi grew up in a third world nation, where making 50K a year means you have to worry about your kids getting kidnapped. chael has been in combat sports his whole life. With rules. Wandi has had a slightly more earthy experience.

I can't help but think if sonnen had flinched toward Wandi in that confontation, very bad things would have happened to him. sonnen is an overwhelming favorite to win in a cage, with rules and officials. Anywhere else, I can't help but think that Wandi--even diminished, as he is--has the edge.

rh
    Brazil is not a third world country. I know you were exaggerating to prove a point but it is pretty ignorant to assume that just because they are worse off than US or Canada means they are automatically classified as third world. You obviously don't know what a third world country is.
    Last edited by IceCold48; 04-18-2014 at 01:44 AM.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

I just rewatched the video of the fight. I'm gonna be slightly more blunt about how I feel. I don't have any respect for Wanderlei. Real or fake, I find him to be the maximum level of obnoxious.
    USA! USA! USA!

Stealing is wrong!

7. Default

Tommy Toe Hold
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

Thread Information