Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Melendez agrees to new contract, will coach TUF versus Pettis

Default Melendez agrees to new contract, will coach TUF versus Pettis

Melendez agrees to new contract, will coach TUF versus Pettis

Last week the biggest news in MMA was that Gilbert Melendez had agreed to terms with Bellator FC after completing his contract with the UFC. The UFC was allowed to have matching rights, but all signs were pointing towards Melendez making a move to the rival promotion.

However tonight the UFC announced that not only will Melendez remain in the UFC, he will coach the next season of the Ultimate Fighter and meet Pettis for the lightweight title later this year.

Las Vegas, Nev. – The Ultimate Fighting Championship® announced tonight that No. 2 ranked lightweight contender Gilbert Melendez has agreed to a new contract with the organization. Terms of the deal were not disclosed. Melendez will now coach against UFC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis on season 20 of The Ultimate Fighter®. The two will then meet for the UFC lightweight title later this year.

The show, which will begin filming in May and premiere on FOX Sports 1 on Sept. 10, features the launch of the UFC women’s 115-pound weight class. The winner of this season of The Ultimate Fighter® will be crowned the UFC strawweight division’s inaugural champion.

love the fight, hate that the lay off for Pettis is going to be way over a year. Is TuF really that popular still that it's worth stalling divisions for that long these days?

I like the fact they worked to get Gil back, I thought it would be insane to let him go.

Those who do not appreciate life, do not deserve life.

Quote Originally Posted by Twist of Lemon View Post
    love the fight, hate that the lay off for Pettis is going to be way over a year. Is TuF really that popular still that it's worth stalling divisions for that long these days?
    It's not pulling in the ratings that justify holding up a championship for that long. The viewership has been declining over the last few years.

Still upset that TJ isn't getting his shot.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Glad they didn't let Melendez go but fuckin TUF? Are you serious? Smh

TUF means even more $$ for Melendez. Im sure that was part of his decision.

UFC has gained some points with me on this one. Fighting to keep Gil' when the LW division is already stacked.

I think Melendez is the best and now we will see...

AWSOME!

Quote Originally Posted by Tongan.Death.Grip View Post
    TUF means even more $$ for Melendez. Im sure that was part of his decision.

UFC has gained some points with me on this one. Fighting to keep Gil' when the LW division is already stacked.

I think Melendez is the best and now we will see...

AWSOME!
    Agree. Like to know what he's gettin per fight. I say its probably around the same ball park what the ufc pitched him in the first negotiations but with the tuf money and a tittle shot sealed the deal. I don't agree as many others do of holding up a division

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    Still upset that TJ isn't getting his shot.
    Can TJ even train yet? Last I heard he was aiming for October but he was still pretty messed up from his concussion.

Melendez: I never wanted to leave the UFC
    “It was on a conference call and I had to put them on mute,” Melendez said. “I was just smiling and yelling and dancing around like a little girl. I was just really excited.”

He had good reason to be. Though Melendez wouldn’t divulge the details of his new contract with the UFC, he would say he was “extremely happy with the terms we came to,” including the promise of an “Ultimate Fighter” coaching spot opposite UFC lightweight champ Anthony Pettis, with a title shot to follow.

Getting the deal he wanted wasn’t easy, however. It required him to bite his tongue a few times, and also required him to be willing to jump ship and sign with Bellator if it came down to it.

“It’s a tough thing to do, but I never wanted to walk away,” Melendez said. “I never wanted to leave the UFC. It’s the best organization in the world, has the best fighters in the world, it’s where I wanted to be, but I had to put that aside to think about my family and my future. …I had to weigh it out and I had to explore my options. I got to a point where I had a good plan for my future, and I just had to hope that the UFC would come along with me so I could get to that point and still be with them.”

Thread Information