Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Following Contract Fallout With UFC, Gilbert Melendez Signs Deal With Bellator

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    That's more than Gilbert is worth. Even more so after he loses to Chandler.
    Most would consider Gibert on par with Eddie Alvarez and that's what the UFC was willing to pay to get Alvarez. Not really out of line for Melendez to want a similar deal

It sucks that Gil and the UFC couldn't come to terms. I've never really liked when contract negotiations go public, whether it's the athlete or team/organization who brought it out for the media to see. But if Gil is going to get $200k per fight it'd be crazy for him to turn it down, even if the level of competition isn't as good in Bellator as UFC.

If it's really about Dana's issue with Gil's manager then it's sad that it cost him a spot on the roster where he's likely one or two wins away from another title shot. I don't really consider him overrated, especially after his fight with Bendo. His bout with Diego just proved once again how insanely difficult Diego is to finish.

If the UFC doesnt match Bellators offer and lets Gilbert go, it will just reinforce the fact, the UFC does not care about having the best fighters in the world fight the other best fighters in the world.

C.R.E.A.M

Bellator needs to keep going after free agents and going after disgruntled UFC fighters. Play the role of the little guy looking out for the fighters. If Gibert signs, give him as much media time as he can handle and let him talk freely about why he left the UFC.

Say what you want about the scrap pack but they seem to be pretty good negotiators, all of them get paid top dollar (minus Nate), all of em have had title shots and all of em have other organizations willing to sign them immediately.

I have been a fan of UFC since UFC 1 but after all Dana White's lies and back stabbing not only fighters but the fans as well I would really love to see one of the others emerge as a MMA super power.Just like in many cases, White forgot the main rule and that is never forget who got you where you are. I am really sick of that greedy barturd !
    never argue with a fool. people listening may not know the difference.

People like to talk about revenue from gate attendance and ppv numbers. What about all the merchandise, advertising, kick backs from cities clamering for events, console games, back catalouge fight sales (eg 100 ko's), all undisclosed.

Damn 200k aint shit!

Tell me how much the UFC has grown in the last ten years and then take a long look at how the fighter pay is virtually the same as ten years ago.

Its all bullshit.

How does a guy who easily should have been champ get turned away. Would be nice if he went to WSOF instead. I don't think anyone else should go to Bellator after the Alvarez situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Tongan.Death.Grip View Post
    People like to talk about revenue from gate attendance and ppv numbers. What about all the merchandise, advertising, kick backs from cities clamering for events, console games, back catalouge fight sales (eg 100 ko's), all undisclosed.

Damn 200k aint shit!

Tell me how much the UFC has grown in the last ten years and then take a long look at how the fighter pay is virtually the same as ten years ago.

Its all bullshit.
    100% agree.....but welcome to the world of the "independent contractor".

Quote Originally Posted by Tongan.Death.Grip View Post

Damn 200k aint shit!

Its all bullshit.
    200k for Gil from the UFC would cause chaos as a ton more guys would want that much. Mind you it is 200k a fight! Not total.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

It's the fan's and the UFC's loss if they let him go. If they want to be known as the organization with the very best in the world in it, Gilbert should be there. The UFC may very well be taking the position that because they are the NHL, MLB, NFL, or NBA of the MMA world, therefore fighters should accept less to be there, then it can spawn other top fighters to leave. I hope they make the right decision and match what he has been offered elsewhere.

What's a fighter worth? A fighter is worth precisely what someone is willing to pay them, plain and simple.
    Last edited by dan the man 67; 02-15-2014 at 03:48 PM.

Thread Information