Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Following Contract Fallout With UFC, Gilbert Melendez Signs Deal With Bellator

We do the same in football with free agency; why can't we do it for UFC? I have never played QB in my life but I know that Mark Sanchez isn't worth $9 million a year because I can compare that number to what other players at his position/skill level are worth. And is a 200K contract with Bellator as good as a 200K contract with the UFC? Likely, you would lose/get less from sponsors due to less exposure and hyping your fights becomes more difficult as the UFC owns your last 11 fights. And as stated before, how quickly would you burn through credible opponents. For the record, I want the UFC to resign him as I want to see him fight Pettis or possible Aldo. I do accept that business is business though, and everyone wants to get the better deal in a contract.
    The Jets have won more Superbowls than you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    Kinda like people who've never fought having any opinion on fighting?
    No, it's a little different. People who train can have an educated opinion.
    You've stated that fans don't know anything about how the UFC pays fighters. You've staunchly defended an incredibly disparate pay scale. dana has said fans don't know anything about how fighters are paid, and there has always been talk of backroom bonuses, etc.

So on the one hand, people who train have an educated opinion on the subject when they break down fights. On the other, people make subjective comments about how much Gil is worth without even knowing more than a small portion of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    200k for Gil from the UFC would cause chaos as a ton more guys would want that much. Mind you it is 200k a fight! Not total.
    How many of those "ton" of guys are top 3 in the world?
    Granted, we don't know more than a bit of the story, but--if he's actually asking for 200k--I don't see a problem with someone who is the third best at what they do making half a million a year in a multi-billion dollar company.

Quote Originally Posted by GangGreenWarrior View Post
    We do the same in football with free agency; why can't we do it for UFC? I have never played QB in my life but I know that Mark Sanchez isn't worth $9 million a year because I can compare that number to what other players at his position/skill level are worth. And is a 200K contract with Bellator as good as a 200K contract with the UFC? Likely, you would lose/get less from sponsors due to less exposure and hyping your fights becomes more difficult as the UFC owns your last 11 fights. And as stated before, how quickly would you burn through credible opponents. For the record, I want the UFC to resign him as I want to see him fight Pettis or possible Aldo. I do accept that business is business though, and everyone wants to get the better deal in a contract.
    For hopefully the last time, you can't compare MMA to a league like the NFL or the MLB. With zuffa, you have one owner controlling the vast majority of monies in the entire sport. You don't have a commissioner to keep things relatively arbitrated. You don't have other owners keeping each other in check. You don't have a players union.

What is more, you can look up Sanchez's contract and compare it to Matt Stafford's. You can compare it as a percentage of what the org brings in. The bulk of that information is available. We don't have that baseline with zuffa. Instead, you have a president who pulls the credentials of anyone who acts like an actual journalist and questions the situation, as opposed to behaving like a paid mouthpiece like Helwani. You have a public that lies somewhere between deliberately misinformed and generally ignorant, and yet they feel qualified to make statements about what a fighter is worth or not.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    No, it's a little different. People who train can have an educated opinion.
    You've stated that fans don't know anything about how the UFC pays fighters. You've staunchly defended an incredibly disparate pay scale. dana has said fans don't know anything about how fighters are paid, and there has always been talk of backroom bonuses, etc.

So on the one hand, people who train have an educated opinion on the subject when they break down fights. On the other, people make subjective comments about how much Gil is worth without even knowing more than a small portion of the story.

How many of those "ton" of guys are top 3 in the world?
    Granted, we don't know more than a bit of the story, but--if he's actually asking for 200k--I don't see a problem with someone who is the third best at what they do making half a million a year in a multi-billion dollar company.

For hopefully the last time, you can't compare MMA to a league like the NFL or the MLB. With zuffa, you have one owner controlling the vast majority of monies in the entire sport. You don't have a commissioner to keep things relatively arbitrated. You don't have other owners keeping each other in check. You don't have a players union.

What is more, you can look up Sanchez's contract and compare it to Matt Stafford's. You can compare it as a percentage of what the org brings in. The bulk of that information is available. We don't have that baseline with zuffa. Instead, you have a president who pulls the credentials of anyone who acts like an actual journalist and questions the situation, as opposed to behaving like a paid mouthpiece like Helwani. You have a public that lies somewhere between deliberately misinformed and generally ignorant, and yet they feel qualified to make statements about what a fighter is worth or not.

rh
    Guys who are very overrated are going to ask to get 6 figures per fight just because they are ranked high. Wasn't geroge sotiropolous ranked 5 in the world not all that long ago? He was not by any means the 5th best but he was ranked there because of a winning streak. That guy does not deserve 6 figures per fight!
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Ariel Helwani ‏@arielhelwani 23m

WSOF telling me now they believe they offered Melendez a better deal than Bellator. They are trying to sign him, as well. Stay tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by GangGreenWarrior View Post
    Poorly thought out post.

Mma has no cba.
    Mma has no veteran minimum contracts.
    Mma has no draft.
    Mma has no franchise tags.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

Thread Information