Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 110

Thread: Is it only me, or is the UFC really starting to turn fans off lately?

  1. #61
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    There is one major question that i think of when i read this stuff.

    "Do you buy UFC liscensed merchandise or buy UFC PayPerViews?"
    If you answer "no" to this current question, the UFC really doesn't care what you think; and nor should they.
    I disagree. If they piss off enough fans where they stop tuning in to the free FOX broadcasts, then the UFC will lose the FOX deal, and in my eyes, would be a massive step backwards.

    They have to decide where they want to go. If their eventual goal is to be the NFL of MMA, then the progression has to be made towards broadcasting everything on free TV, where the masses can watch. If they want to stick to PPV being their thing, then their progression will be limited. As someone who has paid for countless PPV events, I am getting pissed off to the point where I will be very selective on the PPVs I will buy moving forward, rather than buy every event as I have been doing for years.
    Last edited by dan the man 67; 02-19-2014 at 12:45 PM.

  2. Default

    Being more into the art of MMA and losing interest in TUF shows due to them being more fake realality/ drama. TUF helped put a face to a name, but can't stand to watch it any more. Than shows end up being a bunch of no name fighters to me. Kind of the reason I choose to use left side by dec for the pick-ems, and I got more points than my own that way.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    9,381

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    ok so i just read through 5 pages of thoughts from "the hardcore fan" on Dana White and the UFC. While i consider myself one of these, i am also a successful business owner and so i look at this from a completely different perspective.
    There is one major question that i think of when i read this stuff.

    "Do you buy UFC liscensed merchandise or buy UFC PayPerViews?"
    If you answer "no" to this current question, the UFC really doesn't care what you think; and nor should they. Hardcore fan or not. The people that pay for many ppv's and buy the t-shirts and the hats may be casual fans to you, but these are the people the UFC panders to for 1 obvious reason. These are the people that make the company a profitable enterprise! The UFC is not in the business of spending money to entertain you for no return. If a fighter doesn't like the new running rules he can always go fight elsewhere. The Fretitta's are in the busienss of making money. Period. Wanna bitch about Dana and the fights and all the other stuff? support the brand once in a while. I buy every PPV i watch and if i dont like the card i dont watch it pretty simple. You dont like the product, turn off your live stream or Tv or whatever else you watch it on. Companies including the UFC doesn't owe the non-consumer a damn thing.

    H.
    No.

    It's way deeper than that hawk and you know it.

    Do they watch the free shows on fox? Viewership numbers win the ufc ad endorsements.
    Do they drink bud light?
    Do you ride a Harley?
    Burger King, boost mobile, etc, etc, etc. Hell, even buyers of the ufc game.

    The consumer of the ufc product extends beyond direct purchase due to ad/sponsor revenue and disregarding that particular demographic is simply dumb.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,492

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    No.

    Do they watch the free shows on fox? Viewership numbers win the ufc ad endorsements.
    Do they drink bud light?
    Do you ride a Harley?
    Burger King, boost mobile, etc, etc, etc. Hell, even buyers of the ufc game.

    The consumer of the ufc product extends beyond direct purchase due to ad/sponsor revenue and disregarding that particular demographic is simply dumb.
    Maybe I'm missing the point but I disagree I don't know of anyone that drinks Bud Light as a means of supporting the UFC or purchased a Harley to support the UFC so I don't see the connection.

    I mean I think most fans would agree that the fans drive the growth of the sport and most fighters believe that fighters drive the growth of the sport and the promotions believe they drive the growth of the sport. The truth is a little bit of everything. Its not all the fans its the paying customers, its not all the fighters its the superstars, its not all the promotions its the UFC. People are losing faith in the UFC because those people have grown complacent and impatient. I like that Dana throws people under the bus, cause then those folks feel the need to respond, ultimately the fans get more information and insight and eventually the truth comes out and u get to know if Dana was lying or the other guy was wrong. No PC attitudes required when it comes to the fight business whatever sets the record straight the fastest works for me. No one in the fight business is more forthcoming than Dana not even that sweetheart GSP.

    There is so much to be done its like MMA is running for office with the goal of becoming the global pass time. They've got to make more promises then they can deliver and simultaneously wow us with the stuff that does get done in the meantime. Its not that too much is going wrong with the UFC but every agenda has a different bone to pick them and that information just stirs up the internet and social media waiting for the next person with an opinion to put on the blindfold spin around and swing at the common denominator. Its counter intuitive but the common denominator isn't the problem it just has what everyone wants.

    At this point I think that if the UFC were to pay the fighters more and at the same time ask less money from the customers it would be bad for the progress of the UFC and the sport as a whole. I mean lets be real anyone who's every used a stream (Ive done it before and I'm done doing it) but streamer are taking money away from the UFC and the fighters. Money that they earned. We can make excuses about not liking the prices of the fight card but biatch you watched it so you (all) stole. Its wrong but then we'll turn around and shit on Dana and Co for not paying fighters more or doing GSP style drug testing or asking for an extra five bucks on a PPV. Its like mugging a guy and then shitting on him for not being able to feed his kids.
    Last edited by mmawolverine; 02-19-2014 at 11:23 PM.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    9,381

    Default

    Yeah, you don't understand target audiences, advertising, and sponsorships.

    It's ok.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    In the Cloud
    Posts
    778

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    No.

    It's way deeper than that hawk and you know it.

    Do they watch the free shows on fox? Viewership numbers win the ufc ad endorsements.
    Do they drink bud light?
    Do you ride a Harley?
    Burger King, boost mobile, etc, etc, etc. Hell, even buyers of the ufc game.

    The consumer of the ufc product extends beyond direct purchase due to ad/sponsor revenue and disregarding that particular demographic is simply dumb.
    Frye you are correct in the tier 2 funding through sponsorship.
    I was addressing the tier one (consumer direct) spend because addressing tier 2 and tier 3 (fighter sponsorship) really convolutes a basic business princip[le that i was trying to convey. YOu are very much correct in that there is a lot more to it, but at the end of the day the true relationship between a company and its customers is the tier 1 spend. You support the company by buying the fights you want to see. At this point you have the "i paid $65 bucks for THIS?????" and have a right to put up a stink and complain to anyone that will listen, the UFC included. MY point was to those that do not and have never paid to put watch complaining about fighter pay, compensation etc etc. Because at the end of the day they did nothing to improve that situation by being a paid consumer.

    H.
    Welcome to Sunnyvale.
    No, wait..Fuck you!


  7. #67
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    268

    Default

    I'm really disappointed with the approach the UFC has taken in a number of areas of late. I couldn't disagree with the comments made by a few fighters recently that the UFC does purely see it as a business and could care less about the fighters. While I think the UFC has done a fantastic job building up MMA to where it is and undoubted it wouldn't be where it is without the UFC, they seem to have become to big for themselves at this point.
    Phil Baroni

    "I fight because I can't sing, I can't dance, and it beats working all day. Now ask me a question that doesn't sound so fucking stupid."

    Forrest Griffin

    "He did exactly what I wanted him to do and he knocked me the fuck out"

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    9,381

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    Frye you are correct in the tier 2 funding through sponsorship.
    I was addressing the tier one (consumer direct) spend because addressing tier 2 and tier 3 (fighter sponsorship) really convolutes a basic business princip[le that i was trying to convey. YOu are very much correct in that there is a lot more to it, but at the end of the day the true relationship between a company and its customers is the tier 1 spend. You support the company by buying the fights you want to see. At this point you have the "i paid $65 bucks for THIS?????" and have a right to put up a stink and complain to anyone that will listen, the UFC included. MY point was to those that do not and have never paid to put watch complaining about fighter pay, compensation etc etc. Because at the end of the day they did nothing to improve that situation by being a paid consumer.

    H.
    I think the UFC's constant bashing and disregard for its faithful has created a rift for hardcore fans who have always watched with the best of intentions. This group of fans (me included) have thrown their hard-earned money at the sport for years only to be met with watered-down products, increased viewing prices, news of small local bars being served C&D orders for showing the event, hostile answers from the company about truly legitimate questions, etc. etc. etc.

    I liken the approach the UFC has taken to the one AT&T and Comcast took in the early 2000's that stung them pretty badly and gave rise to companies like T-Mobile, DirecTv, Dish, etc. They were so interested in tapping the "new" market that they completely discarded the loyal consumers that actually built the company.

    I guess the intent of what I was saying when I responded to you was that many folks who watch the UFC do so through television and do not hand money directly to them. However, their dollars and viewership are every bit as important as those who buy every PPV.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NOLA
    Posts
    3,995

    Default

    The fact that I now have to pay 60 freakin bucks for what now are subpar ppv ...pisses me off... Usually I'm paying just to see one or two fights..

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Very far
    Posts
    9,477

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scottsec View Post
    The fact that I now have to pay 60 freakin bucks for what now are subpar ppv ...pisses me off... Usually I'm paying just to see one or two fights..
    Stop paying them. Stream the PPV or wait maybe 4 or 5 hours after the event is over and you can download it absolutely for free in HD via some torrent.
    What do you prefer? To watch it a little bit later but completely for free, or to watch it live but pay 60 bucks for an event that you may not even enjoy.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •