Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Is it only me, or is the UFC really starting to turn fans off lately?

This was the first PPV in a long time I skipped and from the sounds of it I'm glad I did.

I just looked at the schedule of upcoming events on UFC.com. The next two are on fight pass so I wont be watching those. Hendricks vs Lawler I'll definitely be watching as well as Henderson vs Shogun but then its another fight pass followed by TUF nations finals.

In 2013 I missed only one event and that was because I was in Rome and couldn't find someplace showing it . This year I've already missed two free cards a PPV and will be missing 3 or 4 of the next 6 events.

I've ordered a lot of weak PPV cards just out of habit. Missing 4 or 5 events out of 7 including three in a row is likely to break me of that habit. Maybe having lots of weak cards, fight pass, overhyping Ronda, calling every other person number one pound for pound and bashing your former champions is bringing in new fans and making money, I don't know. What I do know is it's driving me and a number of my friends away.
    My Favorite Fighters

1)Gray Maynard 2)Dan Henderson 3)Minotauro Nogueira 4)Wanderlei Silva 5)Roy Nelson 6)Tim Boetsch 7)Mark Hunt 8)Shogun Rua 9)Lyoto Machida 10) Connor McGregor

Another problem: TUF. I lost interest a while ago because there are too many seasons. The first five were pretty good even though I didn't care for season four. Two seasons a year is just too much. And now there's Brazil and Canada and Australia? I seriously didn't even know there was a season going on until I saw a commercial for it a few minutes ago. After a while they start announcing guys as TUF season whatever winner, and I know I watched that season, but I don't really recognize the fighter. And that's the guy that won the show. If I see one of the last place guys from the first few seasons I remember them.
    "He's got big balls. I like that." -Josh Koschek on Frank Trigg's balls.

Quote Originally Posted by RearNakedStroke View Post
    Another problem: TUF. I lost interest a while ago because there are too many seasons. The first five were pretty good even though I didn't care for season four. Two seasons a year is just too much. And now there's Brazil and Canada and Australia? I seriously didn't even know there was a season going on until I saw a commercial for it a few minutes ago. After a while they start announcing guys as TUF season whatever winner, and I know I watched that season, but I don't really recognize the fighter. And that's the guy that won the show. If I see one of the last place guys from the first few seasons I remember them.
    I agree! I used to love TUF it was one of my favorite things about MMA. I watched religiously through season 12 then after that season 13 was so bad I stopped watching for good.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

well we have UFC events for the next 4 weeks in a row if i'm not mistaken

Quote Originally Posted by mma #1 fan View Post
    well we have UFC events for the next 4 weeks in a row if i'm not mistaken
    Unfortunately, 2 out of those 4 events are on Fight Pass only, so I won't be watching those. One of the events is TUF China finale, which I couldn't give a rat's ass about anyway. So for me, the next event I want to watch is Lawler/Hendricks, which is mid-March. This is coming from someone who hasn't missed a single event for about a decade - sign of things to come???

I've found myself not being as loyal as a fan lately but I'm suspecting it's more that I'm growing older and out of the target demographic and that it's more natural for me to lose interest. I also look at a lot of the join dates for posters and see you've been posted for over 5 years and that makes me think that maybe a lot of us are just aging out of the target demographic. There's more on my plate than there was 5+ years ago and it's harder to make time to watch every event. Also, I'm a bit wiser with my money than earlier and don't always kneejerk order each PPV. Yes, the UFC is doing things that are turning some of us off, but maybe those things are what is turning the fresh 18 year olds onto it?
    The Jets have won more Superbowls than you have.

Quote Originally Posted by GangGreenWarrior View Post
    I've found myself not being as loyal as a fan lately but I'm suspecting it's more that I'm growing older and out of the target demographic and that it's more natural for me to lose interest. I also look at a lot of the join dates for posters and see you've been posted for over 5 years and that makes me think that maybe a lot of us are just aging out of the target demographic. There's more on my plate than there was 5+ years ago and it's harder to make time to watch every event. Also, I'm a bit wiser with my money than earlier and don't always kneejerk order each PPV. Yes, the UFC is doing things that are turning some of us off, but maybe those things are what is turning the fresh 18 year olds onto it?
    Interesting take. Can't say I have thought about it from that perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by GangGreenWarrior View Post
    I don't know, I'm 23 and I'm feeling the same way however I shouldn't because I'm still in the target demographic. I think it isn't as enjoyable as it once was because it seems like most in this thread agree and we are all different ages.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

I am 24 but it is just that I am not really that interested anymore.
    Maybe an important thing is that our all time favorite fighters are either retiring, or they are simply aging so they fight maybe once a year and put very irregular performances.
    And the new generation of fighters is not really attractive to us.

And definitely the fact that there are so many cards, with so many unknown fighters makes things even less interesting.

Another important thing is that years ago, if we did not enjoyed UFC, at least we could enjoy DREAM, Strikeforce, WEC etc.
    But today aside of UFC there is really nothing to watch. Bellator make some nice things, but you can not compare them to UFC.
    Japanese MMA does not exist anymore, ONE FC may be interesting only for Asian people. M1 Global I do not know if they still do shows or they died too.
    And there are some little orgs here and there but they have nothing special.

The MMA news are not interesting lately. For example, the recent news today:

Eddie Wineland will face Johnny Eduardo on may---Unless you are a huge fan of those fighters, this is not something interesting.
    Machida confirmed that DW gave him a bonus for beating Ortiz--- Ok, so what?
    Brock Lesnar got "stabbed" by the Undertaker on RAW---Pff, that is WWE. It is not even real
    Unknown fighter A set to face unknown fighter B in the Undercard of some Fightnight----???
    Dana White says some stupidity----Typical

And it has basically been like that everyday for the past months.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

I think talent is starting wear a little thin, especially in the higher weight classes, add in all the extra shows which spreads it even thinner then it's hard to keep the interest. The non stop drama doesn't help either. But for me personally between work, kids, and BJJ I don't have the energy to stay up till 1 am

Thread Information