Thread: No longer overthinking, UFC 170's Rory MacDonald poised to get back on title path

Default No longer overthinking, UFC 170's Rory MacDonald poised to get back on title path

No longer overthinking, UFC 170's Rory MacDonald poised to get back on title path
    “Yeah, it’s definitely pressure off my shoulders,” he said. “I can go in there and do my thing without having to worry about if I win, what am I going to have to do.”

Being in the same weight division as his famous training partner brought incessant questions over the years of what would happen if MacDonald ascended to the status of contender.

At UFC 167, there was no way to avoid them. If MacDonald won, he would have been in line for a shot at then-champ St-Pierre’s belt.

“I didn’t try to make it a big deal,” MacDonald said. “I just figured it would work out. But I think at the end of the day, when it came to me and him fighting on the same card, I was the No. 1 contender fighting Robbie, so there was pressure if we both won, what I would do there.

“Maybe that played a role in things, too, but it’s nice not to have to think about that now.”

Four months ago, MacDonald said he couldn’t “pull the trigger” inside the cage with Lawler, and he lost a split decision. Then again, he was dealing with a trio of issues that may have drawn him inward while he was supposed to be acting outwardly.

He had a torn ligament in his ankle that prevented him from properly training. He got sick in the buildup to the fight. And he dealt with the unique problem of being in St-Pierre’s shadow – and possibly in his crosshairs.

“Now that the door is kind of open for the title now, I can just go back to being myself and taking one fight at a time, and taking that title away,” MacDonald said.

Prior to the Lawler fight, MacDonald won five straight in the octagon, though his previous performance against Jake Ellenberger was widely panned by fans and the promotion.

Maia, a former jiu-jitsu champion, told MMAjunkie he hopes to take MacDonald to the mat and impose his will. It’s the latter plan that the two share.

For MacDonald, doing that means fighting without a burden on his shoulders.

“I think what I’m going to try to do is, I want to put my game on to [Maia] as best as possible,” he said. “I want to stay in my realm and not stress about getting into his realm. I’m just going out there, I’m going to pull the trigger, and I’m going to be myself out there. We’ll see what happens.”

Maia is gonna tie the hipster in knots.

Heres to Rory getting chocked out ! =). Ever since I saw how cocky he got in the BJ fight I wish bodily harm on him in every ufc apperance .

Yep, I hope Maia does the same shit to him that he did to Rick Story. Only way for you to go from here on out is down (hopefully).

Well I hope Rory smashes Maia's head in with an elbow like he did to Pyle!

Rory's a scary guy as far as skill set. He simply needs to get his shit together and shut up.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

7. Default

Rory shuting up would make him a nicer person.lol.

I used to like Rory but I'm really hoping for some more of this...

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Ever since I saw Rory and Ricci on some show I watched I can't stand either guy....they looked and acted like total fruitcakes....

Maia: My experience will make the difference
    At UFC 170 welterweights Demian Maia and Rory MacDonald will face off in a pivotal match, as both are coming off losses and both are in a must-win situation to stay relevant in the title picture. Maia believes that it his experience that will give him the win in this fight:

"He has a good jiu-jitsu," he said. "That’s not his strongest weapon, but he’s the typical modern fighter. He knows how to do everything. He has a good jiu-jitsu and muay Thai, and good wrestling. He’s the new generation.

"He’s an excellent athlete. He has many things to prove and I’m happy to fight him. I know that a win over him brings great rewards. I’m fighting for a long time, not only in MMA but also jiu-jitsu, so I expect that my experience will make the difference in this fight."

Thread Information