Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daniel Cormier Says He's Ready to Step In Against Jon Jones if Teixeira Gets Hurt

Default Daniel Cormier Says He's Ready to Step In Against Jon Jones if Teixeira Gets Hurt

Daniel Cormier Says He's Ready to Step In Against Jon Jones if Glover Teixeira Gets Hurt
    http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/d...6670--mma.html
    Im not going to kick a guy while hes down. He and I are going to have to talk and figure out why he did it, Cormier said on the UFC 170 post-fight show on FOX Sports 1. Obviously hes in the UFC. I think he has a bright future. Its just a very tall order to come in on 10 days notice against one of the better guys in the division.

During the fight, Cormier didnt have a chance to talk any trash back to Cummins, he revealed. After all, a first round finish typically leaves little time to discuss things. But that was part of the plan, Cormier said, and UFC 170 was a success in all aspects.

I was all fired up, he said. Its my first time getting a finish in the UFC, so its a big deal for me. Im excited. Everything was a success. The weight cut, everything just went according to plan.

Coming down from the heavyweight division, many wondered how Cormier would perform at 205 pounds. With the technical knockout in Las Vegas on Saturday night, Cormier said his power will take him places in his new division. The former Olympian discovered his hands have heavyweight bulk to them.

I felt great. I felt like my power affected him more than it did with the bigger guys, he said. I dont even think I hit him very good with the uppercut that landed to knock him down I think my power is going to carry me a little further at 205 pounds.

As for his next opponent, Cormier isnt calling anyone out just yet. But the new light heavyweight said hell stand by his phone, wait for a call, and say yes to whatever offer is extended from the other line.

If someone happens to fall off an upcoming fight card, Cormier will stay in shape to step in on short notice, he said. It doesnt matter who stands opposite to him, Cormier said hell be ready.

Im just going to wait for the call. There are a lot of 205-pound fights coming up, he said. Ill just always stay on call, waiting, keep training and being prepared. If they need me, Ill step in, whether it be that Glover [Teixeira] gets hurt and fight for the champion, Phil [Davis] gets hurt, fight Anthony Johnson. It doesnt matter.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha how does he think he is anywhere close to Jones!?!? Cummings is 4-0 im sorry that doesnt put you anywhere close to the top 10 let alone in championship talks.

I fucking called this shit a few weeks back in thread that the UFC would fast track him to the title after this fight, its going to happen just wait.

Good choice for Cormier to stay busy. At his age and getting into MMA a little later than some, he should captialize on getting the fights now.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha how does he think he is anywhere close to Jones!?!? Cummings is 4-0 im sorry that doesnt put you anywhere close to the top 10 let alone in championship talks.

I fucking called this shit a few weeks back in thread that the UFC would fast track him to the title after this fight, its going to happen just wait.
    We get it. You're a mark for jones but it's not like he said he's demanding the next shot. He said he's going to stay close to weight and wait for a call in case of injury which is important since this is his first cut.

Dc is going to likely get his shot at jones and the things he does well are going to give him trouble.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

I don't blame dc for throwing this out. Regardless of where he stands in the division its every fighters dream and desire to be the best and test them selves. Its not like he called for a tittle shot just threw it out there that if the call comes he will be ready. Why wait to be matched up when you can put a bug in the ears of Joe and Dana and say that you'll be on call for the tittle or even another match to get you closer to the tittle

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post

I almost sounds as if you are scared for your boy Jones.

How is he not anywhere close to Jones. Yes, everyone gets it, Cummins was a 'filler'. It is not Cormier's fault Rashad got hurt, it is not Cormier's fault the UFC felt the 'I made him cry" story would be marketable.

Cormier succesfully cut weight, even though many fans including yourself said he would not be able to do or were very skeptical of him doing so. Cormier also won his first LHW fight. Cormier is now just saying that he will stick to weight and be ready to fill in incase the UFC needs him...

What did you want him to say, "Um, no, I dont want to fight right away, no I am not going to stay in LHW shape and if someone gets hurt, no I would not like to fill in... I dont think I deserve it yet."

Cormier has done what he needs to do. The guy is undefeated and has beaten MMA greats at HW. To say Cormier does not deserve a title shot is wrong. Cormier might not deserve the next title shot but he deserves a shot after the successful cut and the trail of defeated HW's he left in his wake.

Plus, it is not like Cormier even said he deserved the next shot. This is no different than Chael offering to take the shot at Jones when Hendo was hurt, oh wait it is, DC is coming off a win and a win at LHW at that.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/daniel-corm...170-post-video
    *Yup, Cormier was asked about it..

Last edited by Cat--Smasher; 02-24-2014 at 03:45 PM.

It's going to be pretty funny if DC tags Jones and puts him down. Not too much of a stretch either, although I did not see this most recent fight so I don't know how DC looked.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Plus, it is not like Cormier even said he deserved the next shot. This is no different than Chael offering to take the shot at Jones when Hendo was hurt, oh wait it is, DC is coming off a win and a win at LHW at that.
    If Tex gets hurt and Cormier gets the nod, that would be bullshit.

It would be bullshit because--even though he's beaten top 10 fighters in the UFC--he hasn't beaten any top 10 LHW fighters in the UFC.

It would be almost as bullshit as Jones getting a title shot against Shogun without a top 10 win against any fighters in any weight class.

Quote Originally Posted by hass View Post
    It's going to be pretty funny if DC tags Jones and puts him down. Not too much of a stretch either, although I did not see this most recent fight so I don't know how DC looked.
    When and if there is a Jones/Cormier fight, I think the bulk if it is Jones moving backward, pecking and running, using as much length advantage as he can to keep Daniel away from him. What does Jones have, a foot and a half of length advantage over Cormier? If Jon does manage to win, I can hear the ignorant p4p comments already.

Because when Jones fought belfort and sonnen, he wasn't fighting MW's that he had more than a foot of length advantage over [that's each, not combined], he was fighting LHW's, dammit. But if he faces Jones, it's going to be "oh, he dominated a HW, brah."

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post

It would be bullshit because--even though he's beaten top 10 fighters in the UFC--he hasn't beaten any top 10 LHW fighters in the UFC.

It would be almost as bullshit as Jones getting a title shot against Shogun without a top 10 win against any fighters in any weight class.

When and if there is a Jones/Cormier fight, I think the bulk if it is Jones moving backward, pecking and running, using as much length advantage as he can to keep Daniel away from him. What does Jones have, a foot and a half of length advantage over Cormier? If Jon does manage to win, I can hear the ignorant p4p comments already.

Because when Jones fought belfort and sonnen, he wasn't fighting MW's that he had more than a foot of length advantage over [that's each, not combined], he was fighting LHW's, dammit. But if he faces Jones, it's going to be "oh, he dominated a HW, brah."

rh
    So if Tex gets hurt, who should get the nod then?

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post

rh
    Hulk is that you????

H.
    Welcome to Sunnyvale.
    No, wait..Fuck you!

Thread Information