Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UFC Vet Nate Quarry Speaks Out Against The UFC

Default UFC Vet Nate Quarry Speaks Out Against The UFC

We recently did a story about fighterís who have bad blood with the UFC and Dana White.

Nate Quarry wasnít on our list, but with his latest statement, thereís a chance he should have been.

The former UFC middleweight title challenger hasnít seen the inside of a cage since a 2012 TKO loss to Jorge Rivera. Nate fought on TUF season 1 and lived out the rest of his career as a UFC employed fighter. As a result, heís seen it all. The rise from nothing, to the post UFC 100 era.

Now Quarry has taken to the Underground Forums with a statement about his experience, both good and bad, with the UFC.

Check it:

When I signed with the UFC this is what I was toldĒ

We canít pay you much but you can have any sponsors you want.

Then: We need to approve your sponsors.

Then: You canít have any conflicting sponsors.

Then: You canít thank your sponsors after fights.

Then: We are not approving any sponsors that we donít like their product.

Then: Your sponsors have to pay us a fee of $50,000 for the pleasure to sponsor you.

Then: Your sponsors have to pay us a fee of $100,000 for the pleasure to sponsor you.

If a sponsor has a budget of 10k to sponsor a fighter, they are then out. If there are 5 shorts companies in the UFC you can only go to them for a sponsorship. If they have spent their budget or donít want to support an up and coming fighter they give you shorts instead of money. If youíre fighting for $6,000 to show and fighting 3 times a year, even $500 makes a big difference. When there is no competition they donít have to pay you. I lost And1 as a sponsor when the UFC enacted the tax.

At the UFC summit a fighter asked if he could wear his own shirt. Dana laughed and said, ďUhÖ we can talk about it.Ē I turned around and asked the UFC lawyer if I could wear my OWN shirt and he said, ďSure, give me $50,000 and we can talk about it.Ē

People have no clue from the outside what itís like to fight for the UFC. After spending 10-15 years chasing your dream only to see that the company itís been your dream to fight for cares nothing about the fighters and only cares about the bottom line.

When I was fighting for the UFC we got X-Mas presents like an iPod. A very bottom of the line iPod but it was still cool. Now the guys get a gift certificate to the UFC store and can use it ONE day. Any money they donít spend on that day is forfeited.

A fighter gets to use the gym at the hotel heís fighting at for free. The cornermen and everyone with him have to pay. So Iím helping Leben make weight the day of weigh ins and have to pay to go sit in the sauna with him. The UFC couldnít say, ďThe fighter gets 3 people to go into the gym with him the week of the fight.Ē
    Thatís just nickel and dime stuff.

With every little bit they try to squeeze out of the fighters, the more the other organizations will look more attractive.

Iím incredibly grateful for the opportunity to fight for the UFC and everything I have besides my daughter has come from fighting. But letís not fool ourselves. Itís not a charity. Itís a business. And they are doing everything they can to make money. The fighters are just a product to use and discard. Every up and coming fighter is the best ever. Every ex-fighter who then expresses an opinion is a coward, loser, etc, etc.

I fought for the world title for $10,000. Not a penny more. No bonus. No cut of the PPV. The gate alone was 3.5 million dollars. The third highest gate in UFC history at the time. And they must have loved the fight cuz they show the final punch at the start of EVERY UFC PPV. :-)

And thatís fine. Because itís a business. But sooner or later the allure of fighting in the UFC will not be as attractive as fighting for an organization that takes care of you, appreciates you, will let you have sponsors to help make up the income gap, doesnít trash you when you think for yourself, and on and on. Just like every business you work for. Itís funny to me to hear people cheer for Dana when he says things that if he was your boss and he said them about you, you would be looking for another job. But when youíre signed to a contract, you canít go anywhere. No matter how much you want to.

When I retired I received a form letter, EMAILED to me that said, ďShould you choose to fight again you are still under contract with the UFC.Ē I didnít even get a hard copy with a real signature that I could frame.

As I said, I love what the UFC has done for me and my family. And specifically what Dana has done for me.

But I also know itís a business. And thatís the best piece of advice I can give to wanna be fighters. Fight for the love of the game. But you better treat it like a business. Because the promoter handing you a contract sure will.
    http://www.bjpenn.com/ufc-vet-nate-q...hey-dont-care/
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

Dana White Responds To Nate Quarry: ‘I have nothing bad to say’

Seemingly out of nowhere, former UFC middleweight and one-time title challenger Nate Quarry, came out this week and pretty much started bashing the ethics of the UFC.

We heard from Lorenzo earlier today and now during his pre-UFC 170 media scrum Dana also touched on Quarry’s beef.

Check it:

“I like Nate Quarry. Let me tell you what. You’re never going to hear me say anything negative about any of the guys from season one of The Ultimate Fighter. I love those guys, I respect them, I always had a great relationship with Nate Quarry. Lorenzo said it the best, it’s unfortunate that Nate fought at a time when we were still $44 million in the hole, you know?”

“It’s easy to look back and go “they invested $44 million and this thing’s worth a few billion. Easy to say that now. But back then? … It was so close to being shut down and going away. There was a time I was like, we’re never, fucking ever getting that $44 million back. It’s never going to happen. There was a time when I absolutely believed that.”

While we all still may agree that fighter’s deserve to make a bigger piece of the UFC’s pie, it’s hard to argue with that logic when discussing Nate’s argument.

Thoughts?
    http://www.bjpenn.com/dana-white-res...ng-bad-to-say/

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

White Addresses Fighter Sponsor Woes: ‘It’s not my F***ing Problem’

During today’s UFC media scrum, Dana White discussed the never-ending topic of fighter income.

A fighter makes their contracted wage that the UFC pays and they can also take advantage of the real estate on their fighting attire to make additional income from sponsors.

The sponsor market is not what it once was and many blame the UFC’s sponsor tax and/or their lack of support for undercard and mid-range fighters. Either way though, Dana made his position clear.

Check it:

“It’s not my fucking problem. Getting sponsorship is a problem. It’s tough. it’s hard to do. That question is ridiculous. If a guy fights on Fight Pass, first of all, he’s getting paid to fight. That’s what he’s getting paid for. That’s what he does. How sponsorship works out for a guy is not my problem. That is not my problem. He’s a fighter, he gets paid to fight, period, end of story. Whatever extra money he makes outside of the UFC with sponsors and all that shit, that’s his fucking deal.”
    http://www.bjpenn.com/white-addresse...-fing-problem/

And when the UFC makes it harder for fighters to obtain sponsorships and the money from doing then it is "his" problem. If this article were about how hard it is to obtain a sponsorship without the UFC interjecting then that is one thing, but Nate's statement explicitly is about how hard it is to obtain a sponsorship because of the UFC/Dana's decision making so yes it is the UFC's problem.

Those who do not appreciate life, do not deserve life.

...it's only the dana's "problem" if he's bothered by it.

He's clearly not.

But in the same breath, I can't see how anyone can imagine he actually cares about his employees with that attitude.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

I honestly wish some other company would get their shit together and put the UFC out of business. Dana doesn't give two shits about his fighters and its ridiculous. Some of these guys are already being paid pennies and then you are taking money out of their pockets with this sponorship nonsense.

Yet when he quotes how much fighters "actually" make, he sees fit to discuss sponsorships as if it's part of their working wage.

Hmmmmm.....
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

Way to ignore the point Nate was making Dana. Classic Dana though, not his fault if possible blame it on the employees with few fucks here and there to make him sound more bad ass.

Too bad such a scumbag runs the most succesful MMA organisation with the money from his friends. Somene actually that resembles even a slightes bit of a decent human being might make the company look more humane. Bashing Dana White does not count since he is not a fighter, right?
    Favourite fighters: Mark Hunt, Tom Niinimški and Anton Kuivanen

I'd like to see a guy like Mark Cuban start an organization. I know he started the "HD Net" channel, which is now AXS tv, but I don't know if he is involved anymore. You see how passionate he is about his basketball team - if he had the similar passion for MMA, and with pockets as deep as the the Fertitas, he would have as good a shot as anyone out there.

edit: never mind, just read that Cuban is a bondholder of Zuffa. Too bad, because he did once contemplate starting a rival organization. This is according to Wikipedia....
    Last edited by dan the man 67; 02-21-2014 at 12:22 PM.

Wow. It'd be cool if all these fighters would agree on fighting in another organization. The best fighters make the best organization. Dana White, what a prick.

Thread Information