Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: UFC boss: Anderson Silva could fight again before end of 2014

Default UFC boss: Anderson Silva could fight again before end of 2014

UFC boss: Anderson Silva could fight again before end of 2014
    Following Saturday’s night’s UFC 170 event in Las Vegas, White told a small group of reporters that Silva’s attending doctor updated him on the former middleweight champion’s status and said the progress is incredible.

“He said, ‘This is actually crazy; look at all the bone growth that he has in eight weeks,’” White said. “He said sometimes you don’t see that kind of bone growth in people over a couple of years. Pretty crazy.”

Silva (33-6 MMA, 17-2 UFC), of course, suffered a brutal leg fracture in his UFC 168 loss to current champ Chris Weidman, but the Brazilian striker has vowed a successful return to the octagon following the insertion of a titanium rod into the injured limb. The all-time great has kept fans abreast of progress, posting photos and videos of his recovery, including a recent scene in which he walked without the use of crutches.

White said Silva’s doctor believes the champ could very well shock the world with his recovery time.

“He said that he could fight by the end of the year,” White said.

White said he and UFC co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta are scheduled to meet with Silva at his Los Angeles home on Wednesday.

So who is Anderson's first fight post surgery?

I would imagine that Bisping would be a reasonable opponent, low risk of KO or sub for Anderson but has good cardio, workfare and can push the pace, test what that leg is like
    Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.

Oscar Wilde

I want to see if he will throw leg kicks, and if he does, will they be half hearted and timid or actual kicks.

Nick Diaz? lol. Probably will never happen, but ever since there was talk of a Diaz vs Silva fight a little while back I've been interested in seeing that one.

I would expect a gimme fight for his return to build confidence. It is one thing to be back 100% physically, it is another to be back 100% mentally. I would like to see if he'll have the same bounce on his feet as before. Circling around with Bisping for his bout back after a year off and a gruesome injury may be a tall order considering Bisping moves around pretty well.

For the record.... a complete 100% ready Anderson destroys Bisping. It would be a shame if The Count gets a shot at an Anderson too early.

I like the idea of him fighting Diaz. Diaz would be coming back from a long lay-off. I would be pissed to see Bisping get a win over Silva if Silva wasn't back to himself.

why wouldnt Silva throw leg kicks or head kicks? He has a steel rod in his leg know - that would encourage me to throw the kicks with that leg.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    why wouldnt Silva throw leg kicks or head kicks? He has a steel rod in his leg know - that would encourage me to throw the kicks with that leg.
    Haha Did I just read that? Maybe its more obvious for me just coming off a surgery myself but shit, with that thought process..if that helped, fighters would be getting rods inserted in their legs and arms all the time. Yeah, the UFC just might turn into those Robot Wars!

Son, surgical hardware will hurt the person who has it inserted much more than their opponent. That was cute though. Monday morning laughs are good. lol

Quote Originally Posted by hass View Post
    Haha Did I just read that? Maybe its more obvious for me just coming off a surgery myself but shit, with that thought process..if that helped, fighters would be getting rods inserted in their legs and arms all the time. Yeah, the UFC just might turn into those Robot Wars!

Son, surgical hardware will hurt the person who has it inserted much more than their opponent. That was cute though. Monday morning laughs are good. lol
    clearly you have missed my point. With the steel rod implace there will be no fear of a re-breaking it - thus there will be no reason for him to not throw leg kicks and head kicks with that leg.

Silva (33-6) fractured the tibia and fibula bones in his left leg when his opponent, Chris Weidman, checked Silva's kick in the second round. He was rushed to immediate surgery, where a metal rod was inserted into his tibia bone.

That rod, 11.5 millimeters in diameter, will likely remain in Silva’s body the rest of his life. That prompted many fans to question whether or not the Brazilian might enjoy an unfair advantage -- basically, a metal weapon attached to his lower body.

According to Dr. Timothy Trainor, consulting physician to the Nevada State Athletic Commission, there is no such concern. If Silva was to seek a license to fight in Las Vegas, where he has fought four of his last six fights, the rod would not be an issue.

“To my knowledge, there are absolutely no scientific studies that have ever been done to prove someone gains an unfair advantage in any kind of sport after they have a metal rod inserted to a bone,” Trainor told ESPN.com.

“Can I tell you he can kick harder with that rod? Absolutely not. Do I think he can? No, I do not. The rod is in the middle of the hollow bone. It’s not going to change the force he kicks with. That’s still based on muscles.”

Trainor, an orthopedic surgeon, said the only “benefit” Silva might have is it would be very difficult for him to suffer the same injury with the rod in place.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/mma/post/_/i...from-metal-rod

So good attempt though. THAT was cute, Son.

Thread Information