Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Daniel Cormier Says He's Ready to Step In Against Jon Jones if Teixeira Gets Hurt

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    If Tex gets hurt and Cormier gets the nod, that would be bullshit.

It would be bullshit because--even though he's beaten top 10 fighters in the UFC--he hasn't beaten any top 10 LHW fighters in the UFC.

It would be almost as bullshit as Jones getting a title shot against Shogun without a top 10 win against any fighters in any weight class.

When and if there is a Jones/Cormier fight, I think the bulk if it is Jones moving backward, pecking and running, using as much length advantage as he can to keep Daniel away from him. What does Jones have, a foot and a half of length advantage over Cormier? If Jon does manage to win, I can hear the ignorant p4p comments already.

Because when Jones fought belfort and sonnen, he wasn't fighting MW's that he had more than a foot of length advantage over [that's each, not combined], he was fighting LHW's, dammit. But if he faces Jones, it's going to be "oh, he dominated a HW, brah."

rh
    I agree that with the physical gifts in mind Jones should be the favorite over DC. But I think if DC is aggressive at getting inside Jones' reach and comes up with a successful plan to "bully" him n corner him he's got a good shot. His wrestling should be competative with Jones'.

Quote Originally Posted by hass View Post
    I agree that with the physical gifts in mind Jones should be the favorite over DC. But I think if DC is aggressive at getting inside Jones' reach and comes up with a successful plan to "bully" him n corner him he's got a good shot. His wrestling should be competative with Jones'.
    I think Jones would be fortunate to have his wrestling be competitive with DC. Jones would most likely be on his bicycle in this fight.
    ROCK...CHALK...JAYHAWK

3. Default

The more we talk about the possible fight on forms the better his chances are of the UFC seeing interest and giving him a shot. We all know a shot is granted if interest is high after the Sonnen ordeal

Quote Originally Posted by lwbrewer View Post
    The more we talk about the possible fight on forms the better his chances are of the UFC seeing interest and giving him a shot. We all know a shot is granted if interest is high after the Sonnen ordeal
    There is no interest though. The UFC brass thinks it knows what the fans like and want but really they just decide for themselves. Instead of actually listening and adhering to viewer feedback try to convince the fans of what they want.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Well, if there is an injury, having DC step up isn't a total bullshit because there's not a ton of guys available to draw on. Their choices are either go to someone like DC or scrap the event which they aren't too fond of.

I'm doubting they would go to Gustaffson as he'd likely want a full camp and a full promotion for his rematch with Jones. He'd also be coming off a fight a month ago and I'm unsure if would want to jump into a quick camp post fight for a title shot. Rashad just pulled out of a fight with an injury, so I'm not considering him. Davis is on the same card and would be the most likely candidate for an injury fill in. I know some top guys have avoided the fill in as it might ruin their chances for a future shot where they would have a full camp to prepare for Jones (training for Anthony Johnson does not prepare you for a fight with Jones).

So if Gustaffson and Davis both decline the fight, you have DC and maybe Nog, though I'm not 100% sure the current status on Nog is. Provided the two other available guys get consideration first, I wouldn't be upset of DC filled in for an injury.
    The Jets have won more Superbowls than you have.

Miletich: Cormier could be champ at heavyweight and light heavyweight
    “Obviously Cummins was not ready for that fight," said Miletich. "Anybody who knew the game knew he wasn’t, but that was a situation where they had to feed him somebody because nobody else wanted that fight. I guarantee it. That’s just the way it is -- nobody wants to fight Daniel Cormier. Everybody laughed at me when he was a last-minute replacement for the Strikeforce heavyweight grand prix, when I said he was going to kill Bigfoot Silva and then beat Josh Barnett.”

Miletich was then asked if he thought Cormier was ready to fight for the title vs. the winner of UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones vs. Glover Teixeira at UFC 172 on April 26.

I think he is," said Miletich. "I’m sure we’re going to see him fight somebody else before that and really truly legitimize himself (vs.) whoever it is that he fights, a Gustafsson or somebody like that, which would be a great measuring stick obviously. Gustafsson’s a very, very tough guy. But I think we’re going to see one more fight out of Daniel before he ends up fighting the winner of that fight.”

Cormier has dropped to light heavy from heavy as he was not willing to fight AKA teammate Cain Velasquez for the title. However, Miletich was asked if he thought Cormier could win at heavyweight, too.

“Certainly," replied Miletich. "I just think that at 205, he’s benefited. He’s quick enough to deal with the 205ers. He’s stronger than the 205ers. His wrestling is better than any of the 205ers. He’s going to make a lot of money there. He doesn’t have to be a heavyweight to make a ton of money. I think he can make millions being a 205er and running through people.

"But yeah, I think he could certainly win the heavyweight title also.”

man... i really hate saying this but jones is most likely going to beat DC. DC is legit don't get me wrong, but he's so damn short... jones' reach is fucking insane compared to DC. jones will find his rhythm early and will finish it with stand elbows coming in... damnit...

I think DC is a terrible matchup for Gus but he has proven me wrong before.

Outside of Rashad and obviously Jones, I don't see anyone else at LHW giving DC a lot of trouble.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    It would be almost as bullshit as Jones getting a title shot against Shogun without a top 10 win against any fighters in any weight class.
    Going into that fight, Jones and Bader were universally ranked #5 and #6. Basically, anyone who thought Jones would win had him at #5, and the same with Bader, with the split in opinion being about 50/50.
    They may have been softly ranked top 5ish, but were pretty solidly ranked in the top 10, since Bader stayed in the top 10 even after getting beat pretty bad by Jones.

Plus, as I'm sure you know, there were other circumstances. Rashad had just been injured, Machida had just lost the rematch to Shogun, and maybe his fight with Rampage by that time. Rampage would have been the only person ranked above him coming off a win, and his win over Machida was not that convincing.

So I don't think Jones getting the title shot when he did was bullshit at all.

Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    Going into that fight, Jones and Bader were universally ranked #5 and #6. Basically, anyone who thought Jones would win had him at #5, and the same with Bader, with the split in opinion being about 50/50.
    They may have been softly ranked top 5ish, but were pretty solidly ranked in the top 10, since Bader stayed in the top 10 even after getting beat pretty bad by Jones.

Plus, as I'm sure you know, there were other circumstances. Rashad had just been injured, Machida had just lost the rematch to Shogun, and maybe his fight with Rampage by that time. Rampage would have been the only person ranked above him coming off a win, and his win over Machida was not that convincing.

So I don't think Jones getting the title shot when he did was bullshit at all.
    It was kind of bullshit but not really given the circumstances. If he were granted a title shot flat out it would've been stupid he should've had one more fight but because of Rashad's injury it was a different situation.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Thread Information