Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GSP says battle with obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) reason behind UFC leave

Default GSP says battle with obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) reason behind UFC leave

Georges St-Pierre says battle with obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) reason behind UFC leave
    During a recent interview with CBC News, "Rush" revealed that it was his battle with obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) that's been driving him crazy and forced him away from the sport he's dominated for the better part of the last decade.

If you're wondering how something like that affected him, Georges explained it the best way he could by saying, while having the disorder isn't all negative for a mixed martial arts (MMA) fighter, obsessing over an opponent on a daily bases and the pressures that come with being a target, were just too much to handle.

His words:

"As a competitor, as a fighter, it's a good thing to have it because it makes you better, because you completely obsess about being a better martial artist. Every day, everything that you do is oriented toward a goal. This same obsession I have about my work, my job, to make me better, it was going to drive me crazy. That's why I took that break. I don't call it a retirement because I don't know if it will be, but, I had to step away from the competition for a while. I've been doing it for so long. First, I started because it was fun, I loved it. Then the fun became a business. Then the business with the critics, the expectations, the pressure; you're the target and everybody wants what you have. You become obsessive like crazy, so, I had to get out to keep my mental health."

Oh, so GSP's issues that "weren't such a big deal" according to Dana were related to his emotional well-being and mental health issues.

Classy Dana as always.

Wonder if they even offered him to not have to do so much promo and interviews and shit leading up to fights? They are a marketing machine and have plenty of footage of GSP already, seems like that could be done. But for what he was going through, I think that would have been too little too late.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    Oh, so GSP's issues that "weren't such a big deal" according to Dana were related to his emotional well-being and mental health issues.

Classy Dana as always.
    Wow Dana is such an ignorant dick I hate him even more now.

I just can't believe the Feritas don't see that Dana is doing much more damage to the company than good anymore and is disgracing himself and the sport. I'd like to think theyare orchestrating some way to get him out of the public high. Maybe have him step down and get a higher percentage of ownership of the company(not much higher maybe like 2 percent).

I wish someone would start an account on here and make their username "Dana White" just so I can neg them.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

I think Georges may be using the term OCD a little loosely. He may be very meticulous and driven when preparing for a fight, but I do not think it is obsessive compulsive. Based off what he is saying, it defines being a great champion, not OCD.

On another note,
    I am not the biggest GSP fan, but I do give him his due respect. Just for the sake of conversation though , what are the chances this leave from the UFC has a Michael Jordan type retirement conspiracy to it? I just find it weird that both athletes would leave their sport during the peak of their powers. It is always great to leave while on top, it is a damm shame, however, to leave in your prime.
    Last edited by rahdeezy; 02-26-2014 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    Wow Dana is such an ignorant dick I hate him even more now.

I just can't believe the Feritas don't see that Dana is doing much more damage to the company than good anymore and is disgracing himself and the sport. I'd like to think theyare orchestrating some way to get him out of the public high. Maybe have him step down and get a higher percentage of ownership of the company(not much higher maybe like 2 percent).

I wish someone would start an account on here and make their username "Dana White" just so I can neg them.
    You're a FUCKING MORON.

All I ask these guys to do is FUCKING FIGHT. I made GSP famous. I made GSP a millionaire. We've given him everything he could ever want and all you moronic motherfucking pussies sit in your mom's basement and run your mouths about shit you don't even understand.

Jesus Fucking Christ. You couldn't do my job on your best fucking day. Go watch Dancing With the Stars bitch.

Well lets see where this goes....
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

It's about time he took notice of the collection of MMA knowledge we have around here.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

...and thus, a slippery slope is borne...

where's Amlap when you need him?

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by rahdeezy View Post
    I think Georges may be using the term OCD a little loosely. He may be very meticulous and driven when preparing for a fight, but I do not think it is obsessive compulsive. Based off what he is saying, it defines being a great champion, not OCD.
    I had the same thought. One of the most overused terms in lay language is OCD. You hear this commonly used when people say statements such as "I'm so OCD when it comes to keeping my place clean". I don't know GSP's situation enough to know the extent of his mental illness, whether he has been diagnosed (and no, seeing a psychiatrist/psychologist alone doesn't equate to a full-blown diagnosis) and what other aspects of his life and functioning it's hindering.

I have worked with quite a few OCD patients and his description of being pretty much a perfectionist at his own career don't necessarily equate to a diagnosis of OCD. I again must say that I don't know the full extent of his condition and everything is based on his interviews which at times are vague. What he talks about most of the time is "pressure" and as well, OCD is not a disorder that can be fully treated by removing yourself from the situation (i.e., him quitting/retiring/taking a hiatus). These two are more in line with occupational stress which is highly prevalent nowadays. Although work/occupational stress is not technically recognized as a mental disorder according to a diagnostic criteria, they are commonly treated as a mental illness by psychiatrists/psychologists and provided treatment.

Thread Information