Thread: The future of KOTN

Default The future of KOTN

I was talking with a co-worker and he had me thinking about this and was wondering what your thoughts were.
    He believes that the UFC in a number of years will be getting sued for KOTNs. Basically this is under the premise that they are promoting head injuries.
    It made me think. Now this is coming from a boxer as well and he’s an avid fan of UFC as well.

Thoughts?

Unlike football, head injuries in combat sports are expected... It is the fighter's decision if he'd like to subject himself to continous head trauma.
    Additionally, MMA fighters are much less prone to head injuries thanks to grappling.
    And for those guys that are frequently getting KO'd usually that's when uncle Dana steps in and asks them to retire from fighting, and offers them a nice desk job, right Chuck?

Quote Originally Posted by trustkill View Post
    UFC Replacing KO and Sub of the Night Bonuses with $50K 'Performance' Bonuses

Considering how the UFC has actively supported the Cleveland Clinic brain injury study, it makes sense that they would re-brand their 'KO of the Night" bonus into a 'Performance' bonus.
    Maybe they're worried about liability. And the fact that they would look like hypocrites.

For whatever reason I feel it was a good move.Many times there are more submissions or even control issues that make for great performances. 1 sub of the night and 1 knockout of the night limits and may deny an exceptional performance by a fighter.
    As to the original question I am sure that blame had more to do with the decision.
    never argue with a fool. people listening may not know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by classicironman View Post
    For whatever reason I feel it was a good move.Many times there are more submissions or even control issues that make for great performances. 1 sub of the night and 1 knockout of the night limits and may deny an exceptional performance by a fighter.
    As to the original question I am sure that blame had more to do with the decision.
    That is not true, I don't have numbers in front of me but I'd be very surprised if there were more submissions than knockouts.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    That is not true, I don't have numbers in front of me but I'd be very surprised if there were more submissions than knockouts.
    You'd be right don;t have the numbers wither but (t)ko's out number submission finishes

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...3-in-one-graph

Thread Information