+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 75

Thread: Nate Diaz Asks for UFC Release via Twitter

  1. #61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Y2JUBAE View Post
    UFC is going downhill. They just need a good legit organization to take them on and put them away for good. I have really lost my love for mma thanks to UFC and these other shady organizations.
    I'm sorry to hear that. I honestly hope you can regain it.

    I used to defend Dana, but he's everything everyone said he was and more. He's a Kardashian, an octomom, a fake celeb that loves for everyone to kiss his little weak bitch ass, knowing he was a f/n joke until he got his great life handed to him by the Fart bros.
    I find this amazing. I remember you defending him when I was frustrated with his bullshit 5 or 6 years ago.
    I do hope you can regain interest in the sport though. I've found that just watching fights without any of the intermission nonsense, without rogaine and goldy droning on and getting shit wrong, just distilling it down to the experience of the fight itself is still really vital.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    I personally fine Edgar's fights entertaining the guy is really skilled he may not finish a lot of fights, but that's besides the point to me. Not sure why you feel the need to single Edgar out (there are better choices) but if it's because he makes more then Nate that has a lot to do with being a champion.
    I agree that Edgar is amazingly talented, but he's a points fighter. Neither Diaz is a points fighter. They'd rather lose than be a points fighter.

    I find that incredibly refreshing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    Take out GSP and all the hype he did surrounding that fight though and the numbers drop drastically... not like Nick really did anything to sell that fight other then show up.
    I disagree. Nick sold the fuck out of that card by not playing the game. The fact that Georges was willing to duck the #1 contender to fight him started controversy right off the bat, and Nick's polarizing identity was kerosene on the fire.

    Look at it this way...Dan Hardy did all the press he was supposed to, and 111 didn't come close to 158; even though 111 had an interim HW belt on the line between Carwin and Mir, who were bigger draws than anyone on 158.

    I get why people don't like Nick and Nate. They're callous, they're unprofessional. They can be a black eye on the sport, for sure. I feel the same way about AO and sonnen in terms of visceral response. But what I don't get is when people try to pretend that they're not talented, that they're not a draw, that they don't belong in the UFC. That's letting bias blind perspective.

    The Diaz brothers are real people. They're not pretending to be anything they're not. They don't have a filter, but neither does dana--and he's always pretending that he's something he's not.

    rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

    wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    I agree that Edgar is amazingly talented, but he's a points fighter. Neither Diaz is a points fighter. They'd rather lose than be a points fighter.

    I find that incredibly refreshing.
    Penn/Diaz makes me think otherwise

    I disagree. Nick sold the fuck out of that card by not playing the game. The fact that Georges was willing to duck the #1 contender to fight him started controversy right off the bat, and Nick's polarizing identity was kerosene on the fire.
    Geroge wanting to fight Nick so bad and the stories of him wanting to hurt Nick etc... were what sold that fight in my mind. I watch the fights with more casual fans and they were wanting to see the fight based on that reason. It's the casual fans that push the buy numbers that high.

    Look at it this way...Dan Hardy did all the press he was supposed to, and 111 didn't come close to 158; even though 111 had an interim HW belt on the line between Carwin and Mir, who were bigger draws than anyone on 158.
    Can also look it based on the above GSP didn't sell Dan as someone he really wanted to hurt/get his hands on.

    I get why people don't like Nick and Nate. They're callous, they're unprofessional. They can be a black eye on the sport, for sure. I feel the same way about AO and sonnen in terms of visceral response. But what I don't get is when people try to pretend that they're not talented, that they're not a draw, that they don't belong in the UFC. That's letting bias blind perspective.
    I don't dispute their talent as fighters they are legit I certainly have a lot of respect for their boxing ability... though I think most fighters that have good leg kicks, above average wrestling and a game plan that doesn't involve standing in the middle of the ring are capable of beating them.

    Nick is a draw sure but not big enough of one to put up with the drama he brings with him in my opinion from a promotional stand point. Certainly not to the extent that he should be able to demand only specific opponents. Nate really isn't a huge draw to anything outside the more hardcore fans.


    The Diaz brothers are real people. They're not pretending to be anything they're not. They don't have a filter, but neither does dana--and he's always pretending that he's something he's not.
    I'm great with not having a filter and being real.... in their case being real includes acting like idiots in and out the ring, disrespecting opponents in and out of the ring, and saying some the dumbest stuff out there in MMA.

    And we all know how well Dana's act goes over with people around here

  3. #63

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    Penn/Diaz makes me think otherwise
    really? one fight out of both careers, where Nick has a personal relationship with his opponent and doesn't get into his normal psychological routine proves that he's a point fighter?

    Son, grasping at straws is no way to go through life.

    Geroge wanting to fight Nick so bad and the stories of him wanting to hurt Nick etc... were what sold that fight in my mind. I watch the fights with more casual fans and they were wanting to see the fight based on that reason. It's the casual fans that push the buy numbers that high.
    Yeah. About that...that's the very definition of being a draw. He doesn't have to do the press because he's such a polarizing figure...but a ton of haters tune in to see him lose. He doesn't play a role because he's not acting. He elicits a response like that from Georges because of who he is.

    Can also look it based on the above GSP didn't sell Dan as someone he really wanted to hurt/get his hands on.
    Which still proves my point. Diaz is a draw.

    I don't dispute their talent as fighters they are legit I certainly have a lot of respect for their boxing ability... though I think most fighters that have good leg kicks, above average wrestling and a game plan that doesn't involve standing in the middle of the ring are capable of beating them.
    ...if they want to fight on points, sure.

    Points fights generally suck to watch.


    Nick is a draw sure but not big enough of one to put up with the drama he brings with him in my opinion from a promotional stand point. Certainly not to the extent that he should be able to demand only specific opponents. Nate really isn't a huge draw to anything outside the more hardcore fans.
    dana sucks at handling them.

    They should promote it all as a comedy routine: have an interview without him. Don't have any expectations for him to play the promo game, and he can't disappoint.

    Trying to fit him into a box is what creates drama. If dana was one-quarter the PR genius idiots think he is, he'd have realized this and worked around it.

    I'm great with not having a filter and being real.... in their case being real includes acting like idiots in and out the ring, disrespecting opponents in and out of the ring, and saying some the dumbest stuff out there in MMA.
    They're not intelligent. They come from a stunningly difficult background. Nick left high school to provide for the family. They're both addicted to weed. 99% of the time, the way they prepare for a fight is to actually manufacture hatred for their opponent, and that comes out.

    That's still far better than say...chael sonnen doing the worst efforts at kayfabe that have ever been done. Genuine sincerity is always better than plagiarism, at least to me.

    rh
    Last edited by rivethead; 03-02-2014 at 07:28 AM.
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

    wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    NY--->MIA
    Posts
    8,071

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dbader08 View Post
    Yup, with Edgar not being one of them...and why do "Just fine" when you can do better?

    Be a whinebag all you want but I'll look past the little things and enjoy their highly entertaining fight styles.
    Edgar is a bigger draw than Aldo.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    really? one fight out of both careers, where Nick has a personal relationship with his opponent and doesn't get into his normal psychological routine proves that he's a point fighter?

    Son, grasping at straws is no way to go through life.
    Not grasping at straws.. I merely pointed that particular fight out as an example. You can;t say you only fight a particular way then go out an do the opposite whether it's one match or ten it's still completely contrary to what was said.


    Yeah. About that...that's the very definition of being a draw. He doesn't have to do the press because he's such a polarizing figure...but a ton of haters tune in to see him lose. He doesn't play a role because he's not acting. He elicits a response like that from Georges because of who he is.


    Which still proves my point. Diaz is a draw.
    I disagree that is GSP that is doing all the work and it shows by his ales from one fight to the next for Condit or Hardy he didn't sell the fight as someone he wants to hurt. For Diaz he did and the fans bought that fight to see him do that (at least the causuals did)


    ...if they want to fight on points, sure.

    Points fights generally suck to watch.
    I actually refer to it as wanting to win and not being stupid. In any sport i you want to be successful you play to your strengths and your opponents weaknesses... Not sure why people expect MMA to be different.

    Much less I don;t understand why people have such disdain for someone that is trying to make a living... winning and losing fights have significant impact on a fighters future both when it comes to financial gain and long term job security.

    dana sucks at handling them.
    This is true of the vast majority of talent that Dana deals with really

    They're not intelligent. They come from a stunningly difficult background. Nick left high school to provide for the family. They're both addicted to weed. 99% of the time, the way they prepare for a fight is to actually manufacture hatred for their opponent, and that comes out.
    I understand the way they are... just don't like it. Rough upbringings do not have to equate to being the way they are especially when they've been blessed with talent to rise above that.

    I get that you appreciate the Diaz brothers not putting on an act and I've always believed in "I'd rather be hated for who I am then loved for who I am not" line of thinking. Just think they could be capable of being better people in and out of the ring.

    That's still far better than say...chael sonnen doing the worst efforts at kayfabe that have ever been done. Genuine sincerity is always better than plagiarism, at least to me.

    Hope your not suggesting I prefer Chael's antics to the Diaz brothers... cause I'm no fan of either.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    'Merica
    Posts
    5,744

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    Edgar is a bigger draw than Aldo.
    Only because of the fact that he had 2 title fights with Penn and because Aldo headlines lackluster Brazil cards from time to time...and who the heck ever wanted to watch Florian in a main event?

    And I'm not saying I don't like watching Edgar fight...but you have to have those guys that sell tickets. Sometimes fans never get into guys who are good fighters for whatever reason...I was quite surprised more people didn't tune into the 3rd Grey fight after such an epic 2nd one...you gotta hang on to those guys that you know the majority of fans will tune in to watch fight.

    It's too bad Nick won't come back and fight once or twice more without it being for a title...he could fill in the co-main spot of a potentially stacked card. Imagine Nick Diaz vs Matt Brown as the Co-Main for Weidman-Machida...I'd be so damn stoked.
    Last edited by dbader08; 03-02-2014 at 02:34 PM.

    I hope this isn't too big, because it's awesome.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    864

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post

    I get why people don't like Nick and Nate. They're callous, they're unprofessional. They can be a black eye on the sport, for sure. I feel the same way about AO and sonnen in terms of visceral response. But what I don't get is when people try to pretend that they're not talented, that they're not a draw, that they don't belong in the UFC. That's letting bias blind perspective.

    The Diaz brothers are real people. They're not pretending to be anything they're not. They don't have a filter, but neither does dana--and he's always pretending that he's something he's not.

    rh
    I hear this used a lot to defend fighters like the Diazes and Rousey. I 100% disagree with the whole "being real" makes their behavior okay line of thought. Just being who you are is all fine and good but if who you are is a douche bag, maybe you SHOULD try changing who you are. (For the record I'm not SAYING the Diazes are Douche bags, wouldn't want this thread to turn into another Sakara farewell thread).

    Being an adult means some times you have to act the way you should rather than the way you want. That's what having class and professionalism is. I highly doubt Meisha wanted to shake Ronda's after she lost but that's what a classy professional does.

    If I talked to clients and co workers the way I want to I'd be out of a job. I understand it's different because they get paid to fight and their antics sell fights but, guys like Fedor and GSP could sell fights with out acting like they're in high school. Yes they're talented but their antics make me have no desire to see them fight.

    I also wouldn't agree that their antics are any better than Chael's. I believe in judging people based on their actions. Whether you act like a douche because it comes natural to you or because people think it's cool you are still acting like a douche so I will view you as one (unless you are Phil Baroni cause that shit just aint worth the drama).
    My Favorite Fighters

    1)Gray Maynard 2)Dan Henderson 3)Minotauro Nogueira 4)Wanderlei Silva 5)Roy Nelson 6)Tim Boetsch 7)Mark Hunt 8)Shogun Rua 9)Lyoto Machida 10) Connor McGregor

  8. #68

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    Not grasping at straws.. I merely pointed that particular fight out as an example. You can;t say you only fight a particular way then go out an do the opposite whether it's one match or ten it's still completely contrary to what was said.
    this is about to disintegrate into a discussion over semantics...so in that case, you win. huzzah.

    I certainly may have overstated my point in saying the Diaz brothers would rather lose than be a points fighter, although pointing out the one fight out of close to 40 in Nick's career [closer, if you count the time he fought Riggs at the hospital] where he had legitimate affection for his opponent instead of the animosity he generally works up might also be an exception, rather than a rule.

    I disagree that is GSP that is doing all the work and it shows by his ales from one fight to the next for Condit or Hardy he didn't sell the fight as someone he wants to hurt. For Diaz he did and the fans bought that fight to see him do that (at least the causuals did)
    Yeah...show me the research you did to come to the conclusion that the entire buyrate increase was due to people tuning in because Georges wanted to hurt someone.

    One could just as easily state that the Diaz fight outsold the Hardy fight based on Nick's drawing power--and remember--Hardy went 4 and 0 in the octagon and kept his job because he was a draw.

    Diaz is a draw without selling fights in a traditional manner.

    I actually refer to it as wanting to win and not being stupid. In any sport i you want to be successful you play to your strengths and your opponents weaknesses... Not sure why people expect MMA to be different.

    Much less I don;t understand why people have such disdain for someone that is trying to make a living... winning and losing fights have significant impact on a fighters future both when it comes to financial gain and long term job security.
    It's not a matter of disdaining fighters. I've been a staunch advocate for Fitch when the rest of the world hates on him. But are you disdaining the Diaz's when they're just trying to keep financial gain and security in their future as well?

    I disdain the system that allows zuffa all the contractual power in the world, to terminate a fighter mid-contract if they lose. I disdain an ignorant fanbase that boos as soon as a fight hits the ground.

    But there is an enormous difference between fighting smart and fighting not to lose.

    I understand the way they are... just don't like it. Rough upbringings do not have to equate to being the way they are especially when they've been blessed with talent to rise above that.

    I get that you appreciate the Diaz brothers not putting on an act and I've always believed in "I'd rather be hated for who I am then loved for who I am not" line of thinking. Just think they could be capable of being better people in and out of the ring.
    It's not a matter of me appreciating them. I just don't feel entitled to judge them.

    I don't watch their interviews, I cringe when one becomes unavoidable and I have to hear what's coming out of their mouths. Working in the drug education/rehabilitation industry, I'd be willing to bet that both are dependent on weed, which I find sad. But I don't really focus on who they are outside of the cage. I do, however, always watch their fights.

    It would be nice if they were better people. It would be nice if my next door neighbor was a better person, too.

    Come to think of it, the world would be a better place if I were a better person.

    hope your not suggesting I prefer Chael's antics to the Diaz brothers... cause I'm no fan of either.
    I like to watch the Diaz's fight. I don't worry about them outside of the cage--I have too much other shit to concern me.

    Quote Originally Posted by dbader08 View Post
    Only because of the fact that he had 2 title fights with Penn and because Aldo headlines lackluster Brazil cards from time to time...and who the heck ever wanted to watch Florian in a main event?
    Frankie is far more charismatic than Aldo. He's an everyman, an underdog who succeeds against long odds. He comes off as a guy a lot of people would want to have a beer with.

    Aldo struggles with image, and it's getting worse, the more he's treated like a red-headed stepchild by dana and zuffa.

    It's too bad Nick won't come back and fight once or twice more without it being for a title...he could fill in the co-main spot of a potentially stacked card. Imagine Nick Diaz vs Matt Brown as the Co-Main for Weidman-Machida...I'd be so damn stoked.
    If the money is there, he'll come back and fight.

    rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

    wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    864

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post

    Frankie is far more charismatic than Aldo. He's an everyman, an underdog who succeeds against long odds. He comes off as a guy a lot of people would want to have a beer with.

    rh
    I hate Frankie but I'm obviously biased due to my Gray Maynard nut huggery.
    My Favorite Fighters

    1)Gray Maynard 2)Dan Henderson 3)Minotauro Nogueira 4)Wanderlei Silva 5)Roy Nelson 6)Tim Boetsch 7)Mark Hunt 8)Shogun Rua 9)Lyoto Machida 10) Connor McGregor

  10. #70

    Default

    As a Penn fan, I'm not a huge fan of Frankie. I'm also a mark for Aldo, and I hate how undersold he is in the UFC.

    But Frankie is a lot more accessible to the common fan than either of them.


    I'm also not saying the fact that Nick and Nate aren't actors excuses the bullshit they generate. It would be nice if they learned from their experiences and got out of their own way. But I'd rather see them get success than see sonnen rewarded for manufacturing an asshole public persona, for instance.

    rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

    wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •