+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Nevada Athletic Commission officially bans TRT

Chael Sonnen on NSAC's new TRT stance: 'The rules are the rules. End of conversation.'
    http://mmajunkie.com/2014/02/chael-s...-conversation/
    “The rules are the rules – that’s it,” Sonnen said. “Yesterday, it was legal, so quit complaining. Today, it’s illegal. That’s it. Quit complaining. End of conversation. Testosterone’s out.”

Sonnen fought Anderson Silva for the middleweight title at UFC 117 in California in August 2010. After that fight, which he dominated for four rounds before being submitted late in the fight, he tested positive for elevated testosterone levels and was suspended by the California State Athletic Commission.

Sonnen appealed the suspension, saying he had medical reasons for his TRT use after being diagnosed with hypogonadism in 2008. The CSAC reduced his suspension on the grounds he failed to disclose a medical treatment. But the end result was Sonnen becoming the early face of TRT use in the sport, at least until recent months, when Belfort took that unofficial title in the court of public opinion.

Sonnen has taken shots at Belfort in the past, as he has with other Brazilian fighters like Anderson Silva and now Wanderlei Silva. When asked about the new fight between Machida and Weidman by “FOX Sports Live,” Sonnen didn’t take any jabs at Belfort and instead trumpeted the UFC’s new “superfight” at UFC 173 between Weidman, the current middleweight champ, and Machida, a former light heavyweight champ.

“This is an incredible fight,” Sonnen said. “First off, Chris Weidman is the undefeated, undisputed middleweight champion of the world, taking out the all-time pound-for-pound king Anderson Silva famously. Lyoto Machida has never looked better since he’s come down to 185 pounds. He’s undefeated with a knockout of Mark Munoz, a unanimous decision over Gegard Mousasi and he’s a former light heavyweight world champion. When you talk about superfights, you’re talking about a champion from one weight class taking on a champion from another weight class. You want a superfight? On May 24, you’re getting one.”

*Look at Sonnen's new attitude, all about the rules. Did he care this much about the rules when he was breaking the law or when he lied to the NSAC about his TRT? I guess you got to adopt a new attitude when you are going to have the testosterone levels of a 10 year old girl and you will soon be trying to work your way into a full time announcers gig.

I think he retires after this fight. And then takes a job at the carnival. He'll be the one in the dunk tank talking shit to people as they walk by.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    *Look at Sonnen's new attitude, all about the rules. Did he care this much about the rules when he was breaking the law or when he lied to the NSAC about his TRT? I guess you got to adopt a new attitude when you are going to have the testosterone levels of a 10 year old girl and you will soon be trying to work your way into a full time announcers gig.
    To be fair, he didn't lie to the NSAC. He lied about the NSAC, and Kizer, specifically. He had a hearing with the CSAC, not the NSAC; that was where he also indicated that he had no idea what his dosage was, and when pressed for a number, indicated he was using astronomically high doses; thus admitting he was abusing--at least he was during the fight where he "dominated" "the all-time pound-for-pound king" Silva.

But he's full of shit, regardless.

It does make me wonder how closely zuffa is going to independently regulate the Wandi bout in Brazil, the the BAC not giving a single fuck about the NSAC's ban. Failed tests cost money.

But really, fuck Chael's opinion...I'd like to get Kizer's statement on the subject.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

What are people's overall opinion on the ban? Is it a step in the right direction? Or an overly simplistic solution to a complex problem?

Default Brazilian Commission Follows Nevada in TRT Ban

Brazilian Commission Follows Nevada in TRT Ban

One day after Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) decided to ban the therapeutic use of testosterone (TRT) in MMA, Brazilian MMA Athletic Commission (CABMMA) follows the decision.

CABMMA’s medical director Dr. Marcio Tannure, who initially planned to debate the subject before making a final decision, announced on Sportv News that they will no longer grant exemptions for TRT in Brazil.

"We discussed this subject for a long time here at CABMMA," he said, "and, as we use Nevada’s athletic commission as a model, we decided to make the same decision here in Brazil and no longer grant TRT exemptions for any fighter."

CABMMA’s decision won’t be applied to UFC’s next card in Brazil, on March 23.

Dan Henderson, who takes on Mauricio Rua in the main event, will be granted a license to take TRT for the five-round fight, but it will be the last one in Brazil. Scheduled to fight Wanderlei Silva on May 31 in Brazil, Chael Sonnen won’t receive a TRT exemption.
    It's amazing how fast policy can change when you want/need it to change in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    What are people's overall opinion on the ban? Is it a step in the right direction? Or an overly simplistic solution to a complex problem?
    reactions have been overwhelmingly positive here.
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I think it needs to be backed up with a comprehensive response to fighters who test hot to have an impact. The fighters who were abusing will probably continue to abuse, just in a different format.

I'm hoping it's one of many changes to come.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

Quote Originally Posted by trustkill View Post
    Brazilian Commission Follows Nevada in TRT Ban

It's amazing how fast policy can change when you want/need it to change in a hurry.
    Thought the ufc is banding it as a company? If so how is the Brazil commission going to allow hendo a pass? Will the ufc keep to their word or not

Great news!

For me it depends, as one of those articles mentioned, this seems more like an orchestrated PR move to try and take some heat of the trt issue and just have people look the other way.

Hopefully, it's the first of many many steps that need to be taken to fix many of the overlapping and interconnected problems that MMA faces right now. Like Rivet often mentions, low testosterone is often linked to weight cutting, which has become increasingly ingrained in the sport. Meanwhile, guys like Sonnen (if your a Sonnen fan I'm sorry but I'm trying to make a bigger point here) are caught shamelessly abusing, but manage to talk their way into title shots and broadcasting gigs. This happens because instead of trying to advance MMA as a legitimate sport, the UFC constantly whores the sport out to make a quick buck.

My point is, as I mentioned, all these problems are connected, and in order to fix them the UFC would need strong leadership from someone who is forward thinking, innovative, charismatic, and who commands respect through their knowledge and expertise. Someone who is willing to look at the long term potential of the sport and is willing to shake things up and even risk some temporary headaches during adjusments periods while standard practices are changed.

Based on current leadership and the recent history of decision making in the UFC I very unfortunately have very little confidence that this is actually a step in the right direction, and not just smoke and mirrors.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information