Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: UFC Special Announcement at 1:15 am EST on FS1

California State Athletic Commission (CSAC) issues 'total ban' on testosterone replacement therapy (TRT)
    The California State Athletic Commission (CASC) today has instituted a "total ban" on TRT.

Here's why.

"The California State Athletic Commission fully supports the Nevada State Athletic Commission's decision to eliminate Therapeutic Use Exemptions (TUE) for Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) in boxing and mixed martial arts. California is a strong supporter of anti-doping efforts. As part of California's anti-doping efforts, the Commission recently began the rulemaking process to require meeting World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) standards as the only way to obtain a TUE for TRT. This standard is so high that it is an effective ban except under the most extreme circumstances. Until the rulemaking process is complete and the regulations are fully adopted, the Commission has a total ban on TRT. California remains committed to protecting the health and safety of athletes and having strict anti-doping standards is one of the ways this is accomplished."

But a small window still remains.

Depending on how the "rulemaking process" shakes out, fighters could conceivably receive a TUE for TRT; however, the WADA standards are considerably high and the burden of proof -- like lactating breasts in certain Brazilian heavyweights -- would fall on the fighters.

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    And I'm pretty sure I could draw a direct comparison between Sniggles and Pol Pot
    That's silly, I am hardly a communist.

People seem funny about when they choose to be oversensitive or offended here. You can't fighter bash but you can say other more offensive things at times, but not other times, and it depends on who says it.

Funny how anti Canadian stuff is ok, especially given the History between the US (guessing you are American) and Canada. And it is ok to make a Stalin joke but not a Hitler joke given the history of both of them in terms of exterminating millions of people.
    Last edited by VimyRidge; 03-06-2014 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VimyRidge View Post
    People seem funny about when they choose to be oversensitive or offended here. You can't fighter bash but you can say other more offensive things at times, but not other times, and it depends on who says it.

Funny how anti Canadian stuff is ok, especially given the History between the US (guessing you are American) and Canada. And it is ok to make a Stalin joke but not a Hitler joke given the history of both of them in terms of exterminating millions of people.
    I'm pretty sure fighter bashing is explicitly against the rules here. Not sure about generally 'being offensive' though. I'd have thought not, or pretty much all of us would be Inmates.

Not sure the Canadian/American ribbing is really all that bad: if you disagree you can use the Report button. We have at least one Canadian mod (SWIFTboy) and I'm sure he'd welcome any issues you wish to bring to light.

Also, you'll need to quote the Hitler joke in this thread: I don't remember seeing one. I remember Hitler being used ad nauseum as a comparison for a mod - in a deliberately provocative fashion - by a poster in the midst of a genuine meltdown: It wasn't intended to be humourous, and it wasn't taken as such.

The Stalin joke was in a different league, and was therefore treated differently. To be honest, I think the two comments are really only comparable if you genuinely don't understand what context is, or why it's important.

Again, if you disagree, Report it.

Funny how anti Canadian stuff is ok, especially given the History between the US (guessing you are American) and Canada.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goremire View Post
    Not sure the Canadian/American ribbing is really all that bad: if you disagree you can use the Report button. We have at least one Canadian mod (SWIFTboy) and I'm sure he'd welcome any issues you wish to bring to light.
    Take off eh, it is aboot time you guys started to respect us Canadians eh.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Take off eh, it is aboot time you guys started to respect us Canadians eh.
    Reported

I don't know that I'd cast Pol Pot as a communist, in a purist sense. His regime was much more a return to agrarian feudalism than any type of literal communism. But for the record, in terms of impact on his population, he killed a greater ratio of his population than Hitler or Stalin.

Also for the record--because something I'd typed as a joke was misinterpreted by some of the few opinions I value on here--I'm down with both Canadians and Jews.

You know who I'm not down with? [disclaimer: tangent ahead. I don't know if I ever get enough steam to call it a rant, but it may be a good idea to just skip this part entirely...]

Fans who don't want their favorite fighter to face the best opponent available.

I don't get it. I got into MMA at a point when rematches proved that a fighter was a better fighter--not just a guy who caught lightning in a bottle on a given night. MMA was more vital than boxing and K1 to me, because there were more variables--fights could end at any moment if a fighter made just one mistake. But there was an unspoken understanding that fighters weren't defined by that single loss, and that rematches were absolutely necessary to prove beyond a doubt that any given fighter was better than an opponent.

As a fan, you wanted your favorite fighters to fight the best. You wanted him to succeed, even as an underdog. I got into MMA sometime around 2004 or 5. I was a huge Genki Sudo fan from the start, after watching him light up Mike Brown, whenever that was. Fast forward a couple years, and Genki is supposed to fight BJ Penn--a fight that never happened, obviously. Everyone I knew was telling me Penn was going to kill the Neo Samurai. Utterly destroy him, no matter what the entrance was. And on some level, I understood that was the most likely outcome. But I still wanted Genki to face him. Fuck, even today, I still regret that fight didn't happen, and I'd still pay to see it tomorrow.

Because deep down, I felt like he could win.

And even if he lost, I wanted him to fight the very best guys out there.

There wasn't any shame in a fighter losing, if he did his best. If he left everything in the cage.

So I don't get it when fans don't want to see their fighters face the best. I mean, on some level, I think I understand what's happened: at some point, their identity as a fan has become tied to the success of their favorite fighter. At some point--in a very literal sense--their self-worth is [at least partially] become dependent on their boy continuing to win. So they can point to wikpedia or sherdog or something, and say..."doood, I was a fan of Silva way back wehen he was doing Cage Rage. Fuck all those assholes who want to see a rematch with Henderson. Anderson is the maaaaaan." That somehow translates into "I'm a fan of the p4p baddest man on the planet, and I was doing it before it was popular, so I'm cooler than you."

But really, that translates into "I'm a fan of someone who has tasted success, but no longer wants to test himself against the best available. And as long as he doesn't lose, I'm down with that."

I did punk rock for most of my life. I understand how it is when you drink beers with guys before shows for a decade, and all of the sudden you can't get a ticket to see them, and you probably wouldn't want to anyway, because there's all these dopey kids singing their latest single so loud you can't hear the band anyway.

But really, break it down for me...

How can a self-respecting fan defend Jon Jones for not wanting to fight Goose again? It was close, it was controversial. If you're truly a fan, you think he can win. You think he can beat anyone, right? So the easiest way to shut op Goose fans is to hope Jones sucks it up, stops the twitter nonsense, and actually seeks out Goose and beats him. [or beats him again, if you prefer]. Anything else is...

...kind of pathetic.

That shit with DC? I don't get that, either.

I mean, really, DC talks too much. Sure. I don't like him as a person, and I can understand not being a fan of his interviews. I don't really pay a lot of attention to that stuff, anyway. But he's a game fighter, he's made the wright cut, and there isn't really anyone on the horizon other than a rematch with Goose, is there?

I can't understand what is going on with a fighter who doesn't want to fight. Who isn't interested int he absolute best opponent available. Who doesn't look at each bout as a chisel stroke on the monument he leaves behind. And when that fighter is a Champion, it's soooooo much worse.

I don't get it when a fighter says "I don't want to fight X" unless there is a better, more bad-ass option in fighter Y, who they clamor for a fight with. I can't understand when a champ says "G hasn't earned a shot" without saying "but H has, so bring him on." Who the fuck do they want to fight, Ariel Helwani'?

And I can't understand what has happened with fans that they can somehow excuse this. I mean, I get it, logically. I just don't understand how anyone can think they have a heart and not want their boy to beat the odds, overcome the biggest challenge available.

Anderson fanboys did it, when he ducked...well, nearly everyone...rematches with Henderson, with Marquardt. He didn't want sonnen, even after chael racked up back-to-back wins over Okami and Marquardt. He ducked Weidman for a year, coming out and stating the he'd be a fool to fight him.

And his fans had excuses.

Georges fanboys did it, when he ducked Hendricks to face Diaz, who was coming off a loss.

And now Jones fanboys...he shouldn't have to face Goose again, Goose should have to fight everybody in the universe before he gets a rematch. DC [who I agree--talks too much for a fighter] hasn't ever beaten anyone, etc...but note: were they complaining this vigorously about the sonnen fight when he'd never won a LHW match in the UFC, ever?

If I could change one thing...

...other than dana falling off the planet...

there would be less bitches involved iwth MMA.

OK, so if there were less bitches, that would solve the dana problem too. I can't really blame him, but certainly his bullshit hype nonsense is a fucking petri dish that allows bitches to metastasize into the cancer that currently infects the industry.

But anyway, I'm sorry if the rules aren't clear on fighter bashing. I'd try to expound more thoroughly on the topic, but I'm suddenly out of single malt, and that means I'm simultaneously bored with typing.

I would point out that one of the issues with the fighter bashing rule is that it's not only the statement that gets imprinted on the ether itself, it's the precedent that statement might set. Stating that fighter X is an a-hole might be pretty innocuous, but you have to realize that somewhere on the board, one of those bitches I mentioned is going to file that statement away. Then they're going to state something more inflammatory, or just go out of their way to troll every post and thread a fighter they unreasonably hate is mentioned in. And when they're called out on this kind of bullshit lessening the overall quality of the board, they're going to pull some stupid whiney interweb armchair lawyer bullshit: "oooooh, but posterZ got to say S about Y, so my shit it totally justified."

It sucks.

they suck.

Canada? It doesn't suck, for the limited exposure I've had to it, and it's denizens.

PolPot? asshole. Hitler? Vegetarian asshole--one of the worst kinds of assholes there is. Stalin? the stick up his ass had a stick up it's ass--and that stick was probably Catholic. Trotsky should have ice-picked him when he had the chance in the teens.

But anyone who resorts to that level of hyperbole when they're dealing with typical intenets bullshit--anyone who actually gets that mad over this stuff, should really sit down and assess their lives. I'm pretty confident that something else is making them mad, and the anonymity of the web is a convenient outlet.

But what do I know...I'm just a powerless internet bulletin board admin who is out of Cragganmore.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

...and whose tolerance is apparently way down.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

I can't believe we're comparing mma opinions to Hitler and Stalin, and labelling members as such.

BonesKnows: Not cool man, for starting this crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Goremire View Post
    I'm pretty sure fighter bashing is explicitly against the rules here. Not sure about generally 'being offensive' though. I'd have thought not, or pretty much all of us would be Inmates.

Also, you'll need to quote the Hitler joke in this thread: I don't remember seeing one. I remember Hitler being used ad nauseum as a comparison for a mod - in a deliberately provocative fashion - by a poster in the midst of a genuine meltdown: It wasn't intended to be humourous, and it wasn't taken as such.

The Stalin joke was in a different league, and was therefore treated differently. To be honest, I think the two comments are really only comparable if you genuinely don't understand what context is, or why it's important.

Again, if you disagree, Report it.
    The Hitler reference was definitely malicious and not intended to be funny.

This Hitler reference is intended to be funny:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hitler-teapot-300x142.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	5.8 KB 
ID:	681

Look, it's a Hitler teapot!!
    You have to know what you don't know.

Thread Information