+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: UFC Special Announcement at 1:15 am EST on FS1

Default Belfort Denies Voluntary UFC173 Withdrawal, Says He's Fighting Weidman-Machida Winner

Belfort Denies Voluntary UFC 173 Withdrawal, Says He's Fighting Weidman-Machida Winner

The fallout from the Nevada State Athletic Commission’s new ban on testosterone-replacement therapy continues, and today, one of TRT’s highest-profile users clarified a recent card change.

Former UFC champion Vitor Belfort, who was removed from a planned UFC 173 title fight with middleweight champion Chris Weidman after the NSAC announced the ban on Thursday, today said he didn’t voluntarily pull out of the fight.

The 36-year-old Brazilian made the announcement via social media.

Belfort took issue with Thursday’s report on FOX Sports 1′s “UFC Tonight” that stated Belfort voluntarily withdrew from the card. However, Belfort said he’s also been promised he’ll fight the winner of UFC 173′s new headliner between Weidman (11-0 MMA, 7-0 UFC) and replacement Lyoto Machida (21-4 MMA, 13-4 UFC) once he’s off TRT.

His statement (translation via Google):

I never give up the fight at UFC 173 and never said that. … The UFC decided to put another opponent in my place because I didn’t have time to fit the new rules of the NSAC. According to the UFC, I will face the winner of Weidman vs Lyotto within the new regulations of all the athletic commissions.
    I’m sorry that this happened, and I appreciate the strength and understanding of all fans, sponsors, UFC and athletic commissions
    Belfort’s comments contradict a statement that appeared in Thursday’s UFC announcement.

“The Nevada State Athletic Commission recently altered its policy and no longer will permit testosterone use exemptions, and will not permit a TRT program,” Belfort stated. “As other jurisdictions may follow suit, I am going to drop my TRT program and compete in MMA without it.

“Given the time constraints involved between now and my proposed next bout in May, I have determined not to apply for a license to fight in Nevada at this time.”

UFC 173 takes place May 24 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. The main card will airs on pay-per-view following prelims on FOX Sports 1 and UFC Fight Pass.
    This party train just keeps on rolling. Probably because the real story hasn't come out yet.

Quote Originally Posted by H0SS View Post

But knowing Vitor, he could very well have failed that drug test for which the results were supposed to be posted today, and he knows that the NSAC can't reveal the results of the test if the fighter doesn't apply for a license.
    This. The whole NSAC policy reversal and Belfort's removal from UFC 173 are secondary to the real story; what were the results of that surprise drug test near the time of the MMA Awards a few weeks back? Those test results might help put this madness into context.

^^ look at Vitor, it appears he has this "special lighting" at every press conference / weigh in / interview he does!!

Whatcha gonna do Brother, when the New World Order destroys you?

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    ^^ look at Vitor, it appears he has this "special lighting" at every press conference / weigh in / interview he does!!

Vitor Belfort: The Barry Bonds of MMA.

Trustkill didnt you know its the Lights that make him look more cut - not the abusing of TRT....i thought EVERYONE knew this by now.

Trustkill didnt you know its the Lights that make him look more cut - not the abusing of TRT....i thought EVERYONE knew this by now.
    The camera always adds 10 lbs to your appearance. And those HD cameras add 20 lbs. Must be a difference in camera technology. More pixels and shit.

ps. did i mention vitor is a fucking joke?

apparently this is fighter bashing. Everyone watch out - big bad RIV is out looking to flag you for whatever fucking reason he wants. PS did i mention Riv is a fucking joke?

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    What a fucking joke, Vitor that is. Straight up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    There's no license to apply for anyways. What a dirty, cheating, no good, chump.

Watch out Sak, dont wanna get flagged for "fighter bashing"....Question, if its the truth - is it still bashing?

Quote Originally Posted by H0SS View Post
    But knowing Vitor, he could very well have failed that drug test for which the results were supposed to be posted today, and he knows that the NSAC can't reveal the results of the test if the fighter doesn't apply for a license.
    What exactly do you "know" about Vitor?

Quote Originally Posted by trustkill View Post
    This party train just keeps on rolling. Probably because the real story hasn't come out yet.
    That won't deter a bunch of dipshits from speculating, though...

This. The whole NSAC policy reversal and Belfort's removal from UFC 173 are secondary to the real story; what were the results of that surprise drug test near the time of the MMA Awards a few weeks back? Those test results might help put this madness into context.
    I honestly doubt that one test--failed or not--was behind the change in policy. I hope not, because that would indicate that reactionary bullshit is still winning over informed, intentional plans to make the sport better.

Quote Originally Posted by trustkill View Post
    Vitor Belfort: The Barry Bonds of MMA.
    You're quoting a guy who stated that Anderson Silva was Vitor's replacement?

Seriously...even a blind squirrel can find the occasional nut, but FRB does not belong in the main forum. Ever.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

Totally off topic here, it took me like 10 minutes to figure out what the hell was going on in kevos sig. i can identify intricate boxing/MT techniques at fight speed in real time, but couldnt figure out that hockey goal for shit. might be time to branch out some. that being said, if machida is allowed to play his game he frustrates weidman to a solid UD. and beats him up quite a bit in the process. should weidman get him on the ground its likely lights out for machida. a rather classic matchup in that way i guess.

whoa indeed.

those mods are assholes.

it's like they think they run the place.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information