Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TJ Grant '90-95 percent recovered' from concussion, shooting for UFC return on Oct. 4

Default TJ Grant '90-95 percent recovered' from concussion, shooting for UFC return on Oct. 4

TJ Grant '90-95 percent recovered' from concussion, shooting for UFC return on Oct. 4 in Halifax

"I feel about 90-95 percent recovered," Grant told Helwani.

With his health improving, Grant is targeting a "Fight Night" return on Oct. 4, 2014, when UFC comes to the lightweight contender's hometown of Halifax, Nova Scotia (details).

Obviously, UFC will probably proceed with the utmost of caution in offering Grant a new booking. With a concussion as severe as he apparently suffered, it would be best to make double, and possibly even triple sure that his brain is back to normal before putting him in a position to incur more head trauma.

For his part, Grant appears to be tempering his enthusiasm to return with a healthy dose of caution.

"I'm getting closer and closer," Grant said. "I want to approach my return with as much care as I can."

Good, I was starting to worry that I wasn't going to get to see him when they came to Halifax.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

As long as he can come back healthy, I'd like to see him fight. It's good that they're taking it slow.

So what happens if he goes out there in his next fight and gets KTFO and suffers another concussion?

I don't think he should come back.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    So what happens if he goes out there in his next fight and gets KTFO and suffers another concussion?

enter first lawsuit on concussions for the UFC. UFC meet NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    enter first lawsuit on concussions for the UFC. UFC meet NFL.
    Those are two completely different things. The NFL was extremely negligent when it came to concussions and made players play with them while giving them no medical attention. That is not happening in the UFC by any means.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

The biggest difference is the ufc always hists fights where they are regulayed. It is athletic commissions' responsibility to make surr fighters are healthy and make sure they have the proper post fight suspension to recover.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

I hate to say it but I'm uneasy about him coming back. This is clearly no run-of-the-mill concussion (if there even is such a thing) and I just wonder if the risk of permanent damage is too great in his case.

i don't know enough about brain injuries to talk with any authority about the situation, though. I'd just hate to see him suffer something life altering, which is a shame as he's a beast and I enjoy watching him fight.

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Goremire View Post
    I hate to say it but I'm uneasy about him coming back. This is clearly no run-of-the-mill concussion (if there even is such a thing) and I just wonder if the risk of permanent damage is too great in his case.

i don't know enough about brain injuries to talk with any authority about the situation, though. I'd just hate to see him suffer something life altering, which is a shame as he's a beast and I enjoy watching him fight.
    They should be following hr NHL model for concussions in MMA. Problem is with multiple athletic commissions that don't work together and a promotion that leaves all the testing to someone besides themselves they aren't doing this.

In Grant's case they are being careful which is good the length of time does show it was serious, but not that he can;t return if it was his first. Sidney Crosby was out for 11 months from the NHL at one point due to concussion issues and he's been able to return from it and continue playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    They should be following hr NHL model for concussions in MMA. Problem is with multiple athletic commissions that don't work together and a promotion that leaves all the testing to someone besides themselves they aren't doing this.

In Grant's case they are being careful which is good the length of time does show it was serious, but not that he can;t return if it was his first. Sidney Crosby was out for 11 months from the NHL at one point due to concussion issues and he's been able to return from it and continue playing.
    Crosby is the biggest star in the NHL. I'd say it is unlikely that the average mid-tier player gets the medical treatment as Crosby recieved due to the millions and the prestige of treating Crosby.

Thread Information