Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who had better takedown defense? Anderson or Machida?

Default Who had better takedown defense? Anderson or Machida?

Has me wondering if Weidman can take down Machida since he took down Anderson who have always seemed so silmar in my eyes!

They have similar stats for takedowns defended 80% but I've always thought Machida has better defense.

I think Machida too. His takedown defense is what i think potentially wins him the fight

Anderson was very easily taken down by Hendo, Sonnen and Weidman. I don't think his TDD is that great.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Machida. Anderson was best at using his length to create distance, forcing fighters to shoot from the outside for takedowns. Machida is more elusive generally, without the benefit of those length advantages.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Anderson's tactic has always been to abuse the fence for takedown defense with proper positioning with his footwork. When it works, it does. If not, he uses his length to create leverage to pop up ASAP.

That said, Machida's TDD has always been better. Take into consideration the larger opponents, specifically the wrestlers he has fought, as he has been able to use his evasiveness and sprawls to get out of many bad positions. Machida, most certainly, is a better match for Weidman as he will be able to negate what Silva could not.

...I'd also go so far as to say Machida's karate-based striking style will pose more problems for Chris than Anderson did. Anderson is supremely talented, but is pretty orthodox, overall. Weidman also caught a bit of a break in that Anderson was used to cherry-picking opponents with shorter reach. Machida is giving up a bit of reach to Chris, but he's used to that, against guys who potentially hit a lot harder.

Lastly, Weidman literally had years to prepare for Anderson. I'm sure his goal has been to face Anderson since he signed with zuffa, and he had a full year between the Munoz bout and Anderson finally abandoning the ducking strategy and agreeing to face him; and then another 6 months for the rematch. Here, he's been strategizing for Belfort for the last few months, and all the sudden has to shift focus to a guy who doesn't fight like anyone else.

It'll be interesting, for sure, and a HUGE test for Chris. If he manages to win, I might even rank him p4p.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Machida due to the elusiveness like riv said.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    ...I'd also go so far as to say Machida's karate-based striking style will pose more problems for Chris than Anderson did. Anderson is supremely talented, but is pretty orthodox, overall. Weidman also caught a bit of a break in that Anderson was used to cherry-picking opponents with shorter reach. Machida is giving up a bit of reach to Chris, but he's used to that, against guys who potentially hit a lot harder.

Lastly, Weidman literally had years to prepare for Anderson. I'm sure his goal has been to face Anderson since he signed with zuffa, and he had a full year between the Munoz bout and Anderson finally abandoning the ducking strategy and agreeing to face him; and then another 6 months for the rematch. Here, he's been strategizing for Belfort for the last few months, and all the sudden has to shift focus to a guy who doesn't fight like anyone else.

It'll be interesting, for sure, and a HUGE test for Chris. If he manages to win, I might even rank him p4p.

rh
    Id probably put him in top 3. I know beating silva twice and machida (if he does I for one don't see it) could put him there respectfully but id still just say top 3. A few more title defenses after def p4p

Are you kidding me? Machida by a landslide. I actually think Machida has the best TDD of anyone Weidman has face so far.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Thread Information