Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who had better takedown defense? Anderson or Machida?

Quote Originally Posted by killakem1 View Post
    Id probably put him in top 3. I know beating silva twice and machida (if he does I for one don't see it) could put him there respectfully but id still just say top 3. A few more title defenses after def p4p
    I'm a huge Weidman mark, I was calling him the future champ before he beat Munoz...but I can't really rank him p4p at this point. Not even top 10. He's such a huge MW, and the reach that I pointed out was a factor for Anderson for years has worked in his favor as well. I'd like to see more of his submission game before I make a decision...I mean, he looked great against Lawlor and that dude he guillotined standing up, but they're not at that elite level, hell, I can't even remember the second guys name right now.

I think the Machida fight tells us a LOT about Weidman. I'm a huge fan of both fighters, I just hope it lives up to the hype my brain is giving it. I think it could be the thinking-man's FOTY, easy.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Machida easily. Their TDD stats may be similar but their opponents are not. Machida faced a higher calibre of wrestlers and still did well to keep it on the feet. Generally the wrestlers that wanted to take Anderson down (aside from Okami), did take him down.

Hands down x 10 Machida... Also x 10 better Takedowns. Personally Machida is my pound for pound favorite fighter skillset related.
    I really believe that people like Bill Murray or John Belushi are just as great and just as valid as Robert De Niro or Al Pacino. And I don't think you can say One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) is a better movie than Animal House (1978); they're different genres. I think they're both examples of great craftsmanship.

-Sam Rockwell

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    Are you kidding me? Machida by a landslide. I actually think Machida has the best TDD of anyone Weidman has face so far.

100% agree. This is going to a very tough fight for Weidman. He might be in a 5 round stand up fight when he faces Machida.

Quote Originally Posted by Transworld View Post
    100% agree. This is going to a very tough fight for Weidman. He might be in a 5 round stand up fight when he faces Machida.
    Idk about that I'm sure he will take him down at least once. This is the worst match up stylistically of his career though. Definitely won't be a walk in the park like the two Silva fights.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Machida with his sumo power!
    The Jets have won more Superbowls than you have.

Made more money then any of u could imagine off the 22 Weidman/Silva fights. Knew Weidman had his number and invested properly.
    Even though I knew he'd be new champ I knew there were a couple challenges that posed more threat then Anderson.

I'd put Weidman in my top 3 fav fighters of today but I'd put Machida 1 or 2. This is gunna be a tough one for Chris.
    I really believe that people like Bill Murray or John Belushi are just as great and just as valid as Robert De Niro or Al Pacino. And I don't think you can say One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) is a better movie than Animal House (1978); they're different genres. I think they're both examples of great craftsmanship.

-Sam Rockwell

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    Machida easily. Their TDD stats may be similar but their opponents are not. Machida faced a higher calibre of wrestlers and still did well to keep it on the feet. Generally the wrestlers that wanted to take Anderson down (aside from Okami), did take him down.
    Okami didnt wrestle him at all in that fight like he should have. Hated watching that fight and seeing okami not use any of his wrestling abilitys

I think Anderson had more athleticism and possibly more balance, but Machida is more elusive. The chances of someone getting their hands on Machida to take him down are much less than they are with Anderson. I think Machida poses a bigger takedown problem than Anderson did, and even a bigger stand up problem than Anderson since Anderson will just stand there and Machida's all over the place running like a backward Flash.
    Goodbye Mr. Burton

All in the reflexes
    Anderson Silva 5: TRT USERS 0 Hendo - Forrest - Nate - Chael... twice

10. Default

Machida better tdd I agree with rh that Chris had studied Anderson for years and the fact Chris just had to switch opponets than be as evasive as Machida. I see this as a hard test for Chris if he pass's will take all questions to me about him.

Thread Information