Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who had better takedown defense? Anderson or Machida?

I'm extremely nervous for this fight, more so than I was for Vitor.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

For me I'm kinda sold machida wins. Like I said in another thread machida 3rd ufc fighter to win 2 belts. I like chris but machida at mw is a tough tough fighter to beat. Maybe another dragon era (lol I know last one didnt play out as good)

Quote Originally Posted by killakem1 View Post
    For me I'm kinda sold machida wins. Like I said in another thread machida 3rd ufc fighter to win 2 belts. I like chris but machida at mw is a tough tough fighter to beat. Maybe another dragon era (lol I know last one didnt play out as good)
    Idk about that. I do think there is a chance Chris loses however I do not believe Machida will be champion for a long time if he does. I don't really understand how some people are saying Dan Henderson is done and Machida will now be this dominant champ when they only fought a year ago and Dan got short shafted.

It wasn't a robbery as it was close but I still don't see how one guy is being billed as over the hill and should retire meanwhile the other is so highly regarded, If one judge scored one more round for Hendo in that fight the whole perception of everything would be different.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    Idk about that. I do think there is a chance Chris loses however I do not believe Machida will be champion for a long time if he does. I don't really understand how some people are saying Dan Henderson is done and Machida will now be this dominant champ when they only fought a year ago and Dan got short shafted.

It wasn't a robbery as it was close but I still don't see how one guy is being billed as over the hill and should retire meanwhile the other is so highly regarded, If one judge scored one more round for Hendo in that fight the whole perception of everything would be different.
    It was sorta a joke. Pretty much jumpin the gun like rogan did.

However, the weight classes and age play a factor in your scenario. Im not sayin hendo is done. I see him fighting a long time and gaining some ws in that span. I for one don't wanna see hendo retire. It will be a sad day in mma for me like when randy called it quits.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post

The problem with that fight and many of Machida's fight after the loss to Shogun is his unwillingness to ever be the aggressor. Machida spends so much time waiting for the counter and ducking and dodging that you miss out on see how gifted he is. The third round of the Rampage match is a perfect example of what Machida can do in the ring when he's not holding back. That Machida is the one that gets billed so highly and what people expect to see all the time unfortunately we don't see enough of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    The problem with that fight and many of Machida's fight after the loss to Shogun is his unwillingness to ever be the aggressor. Machida spends so much time waiting for the counter and ducking and dodging that you miss out on see how gifted he is. The third round of the Rampage match is a perfect example of what Machida can do in the ring when he's not holding back. That Machida is the one that gets billed so highly and what people expect to see all the time unfortunately we don't see enough of it.
    We didn't see it in his last fight either. The Munoz fight we did though and I was very surprised/impressed. I wonder if he would do that vs Weidman as they have similar builds and wrestling base. That would be a horrible idea as Weidman is better at all elements of MMA than Munoz but we will see what happens.

It's definitely Machida. The numbers may be the same, but take into account that Anderson has had guys like Thales Leites diving at his ankles for 5 rounds.

Even when you get Machida down, he usually gets right back up or absorbs no damage. I think the only guy in the UFC to deal any significant damage to Machida on the ground post takedown is Jon Jones.

Anderson got controlled by Henderson, Sonnen, Lutter, etc. for extended periods of time.

Machida has better wrestling in every facet, TDD included.

Thread Information