Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Khabib Nurmagomedov: Learn wrestling if you want to compete with me

Default Khabib Nurmagomedov: Learn wrestling if you want to compete with me

Khabib Nurmagomedov: Learn wrestling if you want to compete with me
    “I think all of the top-10 really needs to learn wrestling if they want to compete with me,” Nurmagomedov told MMAjunkie through an interpreter.

It’s a confident boast, but one full of truth. After all, the Dagestani-born fighter averages 7.09 takedowns per 15 minutes of octagon time, the highest rate of any fighter in UFC history (minimum of five fights) accord to FightMetric.

Nurmagomedov’s ample grappling prowess was on display this past Saturday night, where he was dominant over fellow top-ranked competitor Rafael dos Anjos. “The Eagle” snapped dos Anjos’ five-fight winning streak by winging heavy uppercuts before slamming his opponent to the floor en route to a clearcut decision win.

It was a thorough victory, though the wrestling-based strategy didn’t always play well to the Florida-crowd attending Saturday’s UFC on FOX 11 event.

Nurmagomedov said he wasn’t overly concerned with those voicing their disapproval and believes his win – his sixth in the UFC – was an impressive feat.

“I think I had a very tough opponent,” Nurmagomedov said. “He was ranked No. 5. I think I did pretty well.”

Nurmagomedov is closing in on six years as a professional fighter and has yet to taste defeat in 22 bouts. In just 16 months in the UFC, he has already downed dos Anjos, Pat Healy, Abel Trujillo, Thiago Tavares, Gleison Tibau and Kamal Shalorus. Nurmagomedov isn’t calling anyone out for his next appearance, but he’s unquestionably due for a big fight.

“He’s impressive,” UFC President Dana White said. “He looked good, and he’s working his way there, for sure.”

Valid point. I've neever seen a fighter in which the general public was so torn on whether he is exciting or boring.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

I thoroughly enjoy his fights... And his silly hat.

I don't really like Dagestani people, they have a really bad reputation in Russia. (It is said that you may be walking in the street and a group of 5 Dagestani guys will beat the crap out of you only because they liked your jacket. And they are really dangerous because all of them start wrestling since age 4 or 5, so they really know how to kick your ass in an ugly way). But this Nurmagomedov dude is frankly amazing, he constantly puts pressure on his opponents.

I am interested in how he would do against some really big name. Melendez, Edgar, Pettis and Bendo are fights I really want to see.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

He's got to be one of the strongest guys competing at lightweight - Shalorous, Tibau and Trujillo are all big, strong dudes and Khabib tossed them around.

He's just taken out #5 in the division fairly comfortably, but dos Anjos's best win is Cerrone, so his ranking was more based on his streak than quality of wins. I'm very interested in who he gets matched up with from here.

Yes it is really amazing how he does not have an impressive physique, and he looks to be way stronger than all those ripped guys.

Abel Trujillo looks almost like a bodybuilder, Tibau also looks very very strong. Khabib treated them like little kids.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

I see a fight with Bendo in the cards, provided he beats Rustam Khabilov in June.

I like watching him fight. And I'm looking forward to seeing him test himself against the likes of Pettis, Bendo and Gil.

Nurmagomedov is high on my list of dudes to watch these days.

Mostly because his style is just SO unique.
    There have been plenty of wrestlers over the years... but I've yet to see a guy toss dudes around in such a dramatic, and consistent, way.

Can't wait to see him fight again.

If he was in Bellator he'd be treated like Askren.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

yeah i got a feeling him and bendo are next...

Thread Information