Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Phil Davis: Jon Jones 'wants more of the softer side of the division'

Default Phil Davis: Jon Jones 'wants more of the softer side of the division'

Phil Davis: Jon Jones 'wants more of the softer side of the division'
    "He wants more of the softer side of the division," Davis said Friday.

Or, at the very least, Davis doesn't think Jones wants to rematch Davis' training partner, Alexander Gustafsson, any time soon, after their UFC 165 barnburner.

"Most people would rematch," Davis said of the Toronto title fight narrowly won by Jones in September. "But he said, forget about that, forget about you.' I find that interesting. Very interesting."
    "Glover's a big, scary guy," said Davis (12-1). "And he swings hard, and that doesn't make for happy afternoons. So, that's a tough fight for him. He's not ready for it."
    Machida joined a list of fighters who have either dropped to middleweight after losing to Davis, or gotten big fights at light heavyweight after losing to him.

"Alex. Machida, Li'l Nog, Brian Stann, Tim Boetsch, all those guys, they've done good for themselves," he said. "I'm their good luck charm or something."

Davis isn't going to pretend Johnson, a former UFC competitor who took his last several bouts in World Series of Fighting and is making his return, was his first choice of opponents.

"He's not the guy I wanted," Davis said. "But pretty much everyone else was booked, so it wasn't a huge surprise, but it was like, I'll take it at this point."
    "I mean listen, it can be any combination of title things that get you a title shot," Davis said. "Apparently fighting Roy Nelson and then fighting Pat Cummins gets you a title shot. Maybe beating no one in the top 10 like Glover did gets you a title shot. There's no rhyme or reason to getting a title shot. So, beating the number one contender does not get you a title shot. At this point, I don't really care, I think I'm in the best in the world so I'll just keep fighting whoever they put in the cage."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Well it least Phil understands how the system works now. Good for him.
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

Phil and Jones both already beat Goose, maybe Phil ought to start chirping for a title shot next.

I think he is....

Gustafsson won that fight 4 rounds to 1 3 to 2 at worst. Jones actually fought someone his own size and simply got lucky they still havent gotten any judges that can do their job. Dont look for Jones to make that mistake again anytime soon.
    Phil has been looking at this all wrong. Yes, in a sporting event you compete against a top contender to get a title shot but this is the UFC. Whip the shit out of someone in the fast food industry,preferably someone at a drive in window and that should insure a rocket to the top.
    never argue with a fool. people listening may not know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by classicironman View Post
    Gustafsson won that fight 4 rounds to 1 3 to 2 at worst. Jones actually fought someone his own size and simply got lucky they still havent gotten any judges that can do their job. Dont look for Jones to make that mistake again anytime soon.
    Phil has been looking at this all wrong. Yes, in a sporting event you compete against a top contender to get a title shot but this is the UFC. Whip the shit out of someone in the fast food industry,preferably someone at a drive in window and that should insure a rocket to the top.
    Jones won the fight, he pulled out 3-5. He had Goose hurt and almost out on his feet on at least 2 occasions. He earned that victory, Goose did damage early, but he finished weak. He came close but did not finish stronger. It's that simple.
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

I agree with everything Davis said. I think he is exaggerating with the soft comment though but its understandable that he is upset that Jones felt the Glover deserves shot without beating a top ten guy instead of Davis or a rematch with Gus.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Its simple, Jones doesn't ever wanna fight someone close to his size again. I mean Gus even took him down like it was nothing. I can't forget the puzzled look on Jones face when he kept throwing those dirty ass oblique kicks at Gus and Gus would punch him right in his face lol.

Phil Davis just has not looked good against top 10 competition. Rashad beat him up for 5 rounds and then Phil won an extremely controversial decision against Machida. Given that, it's hard to sell him as a legitimate contender to beat Jones. He needs to beat a top 10 convincingly to show that he's ready to challenge for the title.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    Phil Davis just has not looked good against top 10 competition. Rashad beat him up for 5 rounds and then Phil won an extremely controversial decision against Machida. Given that, it's hard to sell him as a legitimate contender to beat Jones. He needs to beat a top 10 convincingly to show that he's ready to challenge for the title.
    He lost to Rashad and had a close fight with Machida(that he won) ok. He also beat Nog, Gus, Boestch and Stann. That is a much better resume than Glover has put together in my opinion.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Thread Information