+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Phil Davis: Jon Jones 'wants more of the softer side of the division'

I like how realistic Phil sounds in this interview. He doesn't come off as a prick or like he's trying to cut a shitty promo.
    You have to know what you don't know.

^ Kevo post - Yeah, guys that are great wrestlers like him, I understand not everyone is going to be an exciting stand-up fighter but you'd think those wrestlers could n should drill their GnP to be devastating and result in be exciting GnP fighters that can finish - I thought Brock was fun to watch, Coleman, young Tito, Couture, and that's all i can think of right now...

Quote Originally Posted by hass View Post
    ^ Kevo post - Yeah, guys that are great wrestlers like him, I understand not everyone is going to be an exciting stand-up fighter but you'd think those wrestlers could n should drill their GnP to be devastating and result in be exciting GnP fighters that can finish - I thought Brock was fun to watch, Coleman, young Tito, Couture, and that's all i can think of right now...
    Phil Davis' gnp is actually pretty decent and his submission game is even better, the trouble comes when he can't take someone down. His stand up is pretty boring and his aggression is always on the low side.

Quote Originally Posted by Tongan.Death.Grip View Post
    I personaly don't like Jones but he beats everybody mentioned on this thread.

He beat Goose fair and square although he had the most trouble with him.

He will run through Glover like you won't believe but you better believe.

Everyone with an authodox kickboxing stance will get owned by this dude. Thats why Lyoto was doing so well.

A hyper aggresive unpredictable striker is what beats this freak.

Now who do we know that fits that bill?
    Houston Alexander?

I hope this isn't too big, because it's awesome.

I agree that Jones wants the "softer" side of the division.

He did not wanted to rematch Machida, he does not wants to rematch Gustafsson, and he is avoiding Cormier too.

He is saying that those guys have not earned a shot at him (And, in the case of Cormier he is right), but I am sure that if they offer him Shogun, he would accept pretty quickly.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    I agree that Jones wants the "softer" side of the division.

He did not wanted to rematch Machida, he does not wants to rematch Gustafsson, and he is avoiding Cormier too.

He is saying that those guys have not earned a shot at him (And, in the case of Cormier he is right), but I am sure that if they offer him Shogun, he would accept pretty quickly.
    Not a bad point. He was pretty quick to accept a fight with Chael (only after cancelling 151 of course). Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Chael fan, but he had no business fighting for the LHW title.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by dbader08 View Post
    Houston Alexander?

I have no clue.
    Mike Tyson?

Davis: Why not call it the Ultimate Jon Jones Fighting Championship?
    http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...-Championship/
    "He's not the guy I wanted," said Davis. "But pretty much everyone else was booked, so it wasn't a huge surprise, but it was like, I'll take it at this point."

However, UFC light heavyweight Jon Jones had some match making ideas of his own.

When Alexander Gustafsson beat Jimmy Manuwa at UFN 27 in London, UFC president Dana White announced that "The Mauler" would get the next shot at the winner of UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones vs. challenger Glover Teixeira at UFC 172 in April.

Gustafsson said he thought it was Jones he would be fighting, but Jones says he thinks Gustafsson needs one more fight first, vs. Daniel Cormier.

"Why not give the winner of Alexander and DC the winner of myself and Glover??" asked Jones on Twitter. "Call me what you want but I can't be the only person who thinks that makes perfect sense. I see DC congratulating Alexander and making comments about waiting his turn now. I wonder if they're afraid to fight each other? People who don't like to think are quick to call me afraid. Think about it, I'm asking for the meanest of the two would you face winner of Phil vs Anthony?"

In an interview with Sportsnet Canada, Davis took issue with Jones' match making prescription.

"Why not get him a job? Throw him on payroll," said Davis as transcribed by MMAFighting. "See what he can really do with the lightweights. He seems to match make so well. I don't know. I feel bad for him, but he put himself into an interesting predicament. 'Why not just have a light heavyweight tournament and have the winner fight Jon Jones?' That's pretty much what he's saying. 'You guys should have a tournament.' Call it 'The Ultimate Jon Jones Fighting Championship.'"

Phil Davis: Jon Jones is like a shortbread cookie that will ‘crumble in the palm of my hands’
    "I don’t so much dislike Jon Jones -- and you know what, I have to throw it back to you and your colleagues, because I’ve been misquoted a couple of times," he told host Ariel Helwani. "But I will tell you this, I don’t dislike Jon Jones. I quite like him. I think of Jon Jones as a shortbread cookie. He’s soft, he’s sweet, but when I get my hands on him he’s going to crumble in the palm of my hand, that’s what I think about Jon Jones.

"But that’s just me, and that to me doesn’t mean I dislike him."

Davis is riding a three-fight win streak since losing to Evans in Chicago, with a no contest against Wagner Prado during that time as well due to an eye poke. His most recent victory came against Lyoto Machida back in August at UFC 163. Machida has since moved down to middleweight and beat both Mark Munoz and Gegard Mousasi to earn a title shot against Chris Weidman in May.

In the eight months that Davis will have spent between fights, the 205-pound division has undergone many changes. Jones is slated to defend his belt against Glover Teixeira on that same UFC 172 card, and already Alexander Gustafsson is in the top contender’s seat for his rematch from UFC 165. After Gustafsson there’s light heavyweight newcomer Daniel Cormier, who recently defeated Patrick Cummins at UFC 170.

And then there's Davis, who'll have to beat Johnson to hang around in that company.

Asked if it would bother him to see a title shot go to Cormier ahead of him, Davis ultimately said he had no problem with it because it's not his job to make those kinds of decisions.

"It’s not a matter of would I be upset if he got a title shot before me, that doesn’t really bother me," he said. "[Daniel]’s not making the decision to fight before me, and I’m not making the decision to fight before him. He’s not the boss of me, and neither am I. Why would I be upset about that? It’s just the way our company’s run.

"Joe Silva and Dana White, they’re running the biggest, best fight promotion in the world. I never wanted to run a fight promotion. Who am I to criticize them for running the biggest and best fight promotion in the world. I’ve got to respect whatever decision they make."

As far as Gustafsson, whom he defeated back at UFC 112 in 2010 and later trained with at Alliance, Davis expressed nothing but well wishes.

"I love Alex," Davis said. "I wish the best for Alex and if he gets a second crack at the champion and takes him out, I have nothing but love and respect for that man."

Of course, all of that is for down the road. Davis still has to focus on Johnson, who will make his triumphant return to the UFC after spending the last couple of years fighting in the World Series of Fighting and elsewhere. Johnson last fought in the UFC as a middleweight, but after a history of problems making weight, and coming in a dozen pounds over in his bout with Vitor Belfort at UFC 142, the UFC parted ways with "Rumble."

Since then he has gone 6-0 fighting primarily at 205 pounds, scoring wins over Andrei Arlovski and most recently, Mike Kyle.

"I’ve watched a couple of his fights, and honestly, it’s what I expected from a guy who’s a first class guy," Davis said. "He’s a top guy inside the UFC. He ran into a little bit of hard times at the end of his career in the UFC. He left, and it doesn’t surprise me that a guy at his level beats up on guys outside the UFC. He kind of doesn’t impress me that much, but, again, he’s a tough guy inside the UFC so I’d expect him to be even tougher outside the UFC."

One topic that was brought up was Johnson’s recent tirade on Sirius XM TapouT Radio about PEDs, about how he didn’t have a major objection to them. Because Johnson was so lackadaisical towards PEDs, some people grew suspicious as to why.

Though Davis said he couldn’t infer anything from what Johnson said, he did weigh in PEDs and the people who find themselves using.

"I have a whole philosophy on PEDs," he said. "Guys who use PEDs have to first admit one thing to themselves, [which is] ‘I’m not good enough to win on my own, therefore I need to take something.’ And that’s all the mental edge I need. You’re not good enough to hang in there with me.

"I’m taking absolutely nothing, I don’t even eat good. I don’t have a strict diet. But if you have it that you have to take PEDs to stay competitive with me, I’ve already won, because you’re not good enough."

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information