Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Phil Davis: Jon Jones 'wants more of the softer side of the division'

Jon Jones responds to Hackleman, says Davis, others trying to talk way into title shot

“Phil, he has his job to do,” Jones said. “His job is to try and get a title shot, and he figures if he can stir up enough controversy and insult me enough that that will get him closer to the title shot.

“Maybe it’s working – we’re definitely talking about him more than usual. Good for him. Obviously, I’ll be here. My goal is to be in the No. 1 spot when he gets to me, and everything will take care of itself in time.”

Until then, Jones is sure he’ll field more trash talk from a list of fighters looking to take his title.

Asked whether he differentiated between Davis and Daniel Cormier, with whom he shares a long-simmering rivalry, Jones said all of the callouts and criticisms are part of a trend.

“One thing I’ve realized is I’m getting chirped by guys who aren’t actually contracted to fight me,” he said. “I think when you know your challenge is coming up, it can be a little more nerveracking than sitting on the sidelines and talking about what you would do. Me knowing this, I’m just going to focus on the task at hand and let everything else take care of itself in the future.”
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    I definitely take Jon Jones' word on this over Dana's. Dana has prematurely announced fights before and then had to backtrack. Given Dana's ego, he's not going to say he fucked up by announcing things too early.

White: Jon Jones pulled out of UFC 170 due to lingering issues from Gustafsson fight

"Jon Jones went back in the gym and just didn't feel good. He said his legs were still bothering him and his eye is bothering him. He still banged up from that fight."

"That fight wasn't that long ago. It's like being in a car accident."
    Dana is pretty specific about the reason's Jones gave for pulling out of the fight. One would think if Dana was bull shitting he would not have been so specific to say it was due to Jone's leg and eye injuries that were still lingering from the Goose fight. Where as Jones on the other hand, just beat around the bush when asked for a reason. It seems to me, Jones has more reason to lie and try to hide his injuries than Dana has to lie just to save face... But then again, Dana's immature actions have proven me wrong before.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post

White: Jon Jones pulled out of UFC 170 due to lingering issues from Gustafsson fight

Dana is pretty specific about the reason's Jones gave for pulling out of the fight. One would think if Dana was bull shitting he would not have been so specific to say it was due to Jone's leg and eye injuries that were still lingering from the Goose fight. Where as Jones on the other hand, just beat around the bush when asked for a reason. It seems to me, Jones has more reason to lie and try to hide his injuries than Dana has to lie just to save face... But then again, Dana's immature actions have proven me wrong before.
    I'm glad you found this and posted it, as that's exactly how I remembered it. Dana first says "He's not injured" which made people think Jones pulled out of the fight for non-legitimate reasons, and then in another interview he says "he's not feeling well and he is still banged up".

Being banged up consists of some injuries that are still taking time to heal. Injuries are not just big ones like a torn ACL.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    I'm glad you found this and posted it, as that's exactly how I remembered it. Dana first says "He's not injured" which made people think Jones pulled out of the fight for non-legitimate reasons, and then in another interview he says "he's not feeling well and he is still banged up".

Being banged up consists of some injuries that are still taking time to heal. Injuries are not just big ones like a torn ACL.
    As big of a Jones mark i too am glad cat posted this as i honestly dont remember either of those articles more so just the Jones interview, so it has enlightened me a bit on the situation. My question now is - is this more proof of dana and the UFC jumping the gun? First its "hes pulled out, not injured, thats all im saying" from dana and then its "well hes actually still hurt from the last fight, still not feeling 100% after that war, etc, etc"

After reading the second interview i got the impression dana had some sour grapes towards Jones and his camp because they wanted him to defend it at the superbowl card (ufc 169) rather than a random april card like it got pushed to.
    Last edited by BonesKnows; 04-03-2014 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    As big of a Jones mark i am i too am glad cat posted this as i honestly dont remember either of those articles more so just the Jones interview, so it has enlightened me a bit on the situation. My question now is - is this more proof of dana and the UFC jumping the gun? "First its hes pulled out, not injured, thats all im saying" from dana and then its "well hes actually still hurt from the last fight, still not feeling 100% after that war, etc, etc"

After reading the second interview i got the impression dana had some sour grapes towards Jones and his camp because they wanted him to defend it at the superbowl card (ufc 169) rather than a random april card like it got pushed to.
    Dana is a jack ass, that is pretty much all there is to it. Jones is not one of my favorite fighters at all anymore(I used to be as big of a Jones mark as I am a Weidman mark right now) and yes the Chael thing was bullshit plus he talks way too much but you could never ever question this dude's toughness. He fought like 5 title fights in a year or something crazy like that. Dana is such a moron and I hate him.
    Last edited by IceCold48; 04-03-2014 at 01:54 PM.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

No question Jones is top of the heap. BUT he has a AS type logic. He doesn't come out and say it but he wants the easier fights and cries about who gets a shot. That is classless like AS was. want all contenders to eliminate themselves and wants the easy fights. A true champion WANTS to fight the ebst....not delay all challenges for as long as possible while crying about it.
    Favorite fighters:
    HW- Mir, Brock, Fedor, Cain
    LHW-Shogun, Tito, Mousasi. Rampage
    MW-Hendo, Sonnen, Mayhem M
    WW-GSP, C Condit>Nick diaz, Fitch wonderboy?
    LW-Penn, Edgar, Cerrone, pettis
    FW-Aldo, Homenik,

Fighters I LOATH 1-BISPING

Quote Originally Posted by FFFRpickup View Post
    No question Jones is top of the heap. BUT he has a AS type logic. He doesn't come out and say it but he wants the easier fights and cries about who gets a shot. That is classless like AS was. want all contenders to eliminate themselves and wants the easy fights. A true champion WANTS to fight the ebst....not delay all challenges for as long as possible while crying about it.
    He just has a big mouth though. Jones isn't going up a weight class to fight guys that aren't even in title contention to avoid defending his belt.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    He just has a big mouth though. Jones isn't going up a weight class to fight guys that aren't even in title contention to avoid defending his belt.
    He fought Forrest Griffin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    That's because he'd probably lose to just about any top 10 heavyweights. No, instead he welcomes all challenges from the middleweights willing to step up.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Thread Information