Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Phil Davis: Jon Jones 'wants more of the softer side of the division'

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    That's because he'd probably lose to just about any top 10 heavyweights. No, instead he welcomes all challenges from the middleweights willing to step up.
    It isn't his fault the company gave them title shots.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    It isn't his fault the company gave them title shots.
    But it is his fault he 'wants more of the softer side of the division'
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    But it is his fault he 'wants more of the softer side of the division'
    Is he really fighting the softer side of the division say if he fought the winner of Cormier/Gustaffson as he suggested happen?

While I agree that Jones is better served just to be quiet and fight whoever they put on on the contract in front of him (even if it's middleweights and he gets flak for doing so) I thinks it's a little bit of just hate for many on here to assume that Jones wouldn't fight either guy

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    Is he really fighting the softer side of the division say if he fought the winner of Cormier/Gustaffson as he suggested happen?

While I agree that Jones is better served just to be quiet and fight whoever they put on on the contract in front of him (even if it's middleweights and he gets flak for doing so) I thinks it's a little bit of just hate for many on here to assume that Jones wouldn't fight either guy
    Yea let two potential contenders knock the other outta the way so Jones doesn't have to cry about fighting them. Cried about about Glover not being ready but when they said "Gus rematch" all of a sudden Glover was ready lol.

He cries about Gus getting an easy fight. Cries more as soon as Gus won and says Gus is scared of Cormier, when in reality it looks like he's scared of both of them, especially Gus.

Quote Originally Posted by 1inthechamber View Post
    Yea let two potential contenders knock the other outta the way so Jones doesn't have to cry about fighting them. Cried about about Glover not being ready but when they said "Gus rematch" all of a sudden Glover was ready lol.

He cries about Gus getting an easy fight. Cries more as soon as Gus won and says Gus is scared of Cormier, when in reality it looks like he's scared of both of them, especially Gus.
    I just don't get the analogy of a guy who makes his his living professionally as a fighter as being "scared".

And again he is fighting the winner of the Gus/Cormier fight in proposal he is fighting the winner. So in essence yes he doesn't fight one of them but he still fights the other who happens to be the better of the two. As said he fights the winner and while he may have a opinion on who he thinks wins he doesn't know which one is actually going to win so there is a chance he has to fight either one.

I fully agree with most that Jones should just keep quiet about who should or shouldn't get a title shot and defend the belt against whoever has most earned a title shot at the time. Sure he has an opinion on who he thinks should get a shot (don't we all?) In reality though Jones has signed the contract to fight whoever the UFC has put in front of him though and I don't see that being an issue when a Gus or Cormier fight is put in front of him. It's not like Dana/Zuffa is saying that he won't sign a contract to fight either guy if/when he does that then you can legitimately say he is scared.

I just don't get the analogy of a guy who makes his his living professionally as a fighter as being "scared".

And again he is fighting the winner of the Gus/Cormier fight in proposal he is fighting the winner. So in essence yes he doesn't fight one of them but he still fights the other who happens to be the better of the two. As said he fights the winner and while he may have a opinion on who he thinks wins he doesn't know which one is actually going to win so there is a chance he has to fight either one.

I fully agree with most that Jones should just keep quiet about who should or shouldn't get a title shot and defend the belt against whoever has most earned a title shot at the time. Sure he has an opinion on who he thinks should get a shot (don't we all?) In reality though Jones has signed the contract to fight whoever the UFC has put in front of him though and I don't see that being an issue when a Gus or Cormier fight is put in front of him. It's not like Dana/Zuffa is saying that he won't sign a contract to fight either guy if/when he does that then you can legitimately say he is scared.

He's just seem to have picked up the Anderson Silva syndrome where he would protest who does/doesn't deserve a shot. Just like ppl said Silva was or acting scared, is the same with Jones.

Champions are not, nor should they be matchmakers. If you're the best in the world and really feel that way just stfu and fight. I also feel the same when guys get a title shot and choose to wait on the champ regardless of how the champ would be out or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by 1inthechamber View Post
    He's just seem to have picked up the Anderson Silva syndrome where he would protest who does/doesn't deserve a shot. Just like ppl said Silva was or acting scared, is the same with Jones.

Champions are not, nor should they be matchmakers. If you're the best in the world and really feel that way just stfu and fight. I also feel the same when guys get a title shot and choose to wait on the champ regardless of how the champ would be out or whatever.
    Oh I agree with the they should just fight thing completely... I don't think having an opinion even if it's wrong is the same as being scared though

I do disagree a bit about guys that have legitimately earned a title shot having to fight. For most guys it's hard to get a title shot to begin and risking that title shot can be detrimental to you financially in the long run. Not only do you make more money for actually fighting as a champ but your marketing value goes up a considerable amount when you become a champ. You go from having just mostly having mainly MMA companies sponsoring you to having mainstream large companies wanting to have their brand associated with you. It's a huge risk to lose your title shot when your career as a fighter has a limited lifespan

Oh I agree with the they should just fight thing completely... I don't think having an opinion even if it's wrong is the same as being scared though

I do disagree a bit about guys that have legitimately earned a title shot having to fight. For most guys it's hard to get a title shot to begin and risking that title shot can be detrimental to you financially in the long run. Not only do you make more money for actually fighting as a champ but your marketing value goes up a considerable amount when you become a champ. You go from having just mostly having mainly MMA companies sponsoring you to having mainstream large companies wanting to have their brand associated with you. It's a huge risk to lose your title shot when your career as a fighter has a limited lifespan
    I understand about the financial stuff but damn if the champ is gonna be out for an extended period, why not take a fight? Obviously you're proven to have earned your shot but why sit back and collect ring rust as well?

I don't think he's scared.

the inherent problem is one of translation.

Jones makes sponsorship money because he's supposed to be an inspiration: he's supposed to move people to want to be like him. If he buys Nike, they'll buy Nike. And whether they consciously think of it or not, fans have expectations going into this interaction: they want to be able to look to him as a champion, one worthy of emulation.

But Jones--much like Anderson before him, and eventually Georges--is thinking of his career. He's already got the sponsors, that money is spent. He probably feels like he's earned that sponsorship money already. He's probably thinking more about longevity, about putting streaks together, about optimizing his risk/reward opportunities so that he has a continual stream of income. He doesn't need to consider fans, he's going to cash checks whether he makes them sad or not, as long as he's winning fights. He doesn't have to subscribe to ideals of what some internet fan thinks of as conduct becoming a champion.

So in the best of all possible worlds, he acts with what I've described as the heart of a champion: he's so confidence in his abilities that he welcomes all challengers. When Cormer talks smack about him, he laughs and says "show me in the cage, old man!" When there are 5 guys who call him out, he says "line em up, we'll see who is standing at the end of the day."

That would be nice.

It's not going to happen, and because it doesn't happen doesn't mean he's scared. He's working as a business man, optimizing his brand for as long as he can, in a company that specializes in overhype and constant misdirection of a fickle, less-than-informed fanbase. Many of them can be convinced that one big fight a year is fine, so why strive for more than that--particularly since he worked his ass off earlier in his career. He can easily feel that he's paid his dues, now it's time to collect.

I don't like it, personally, but it's more the norm than the exception these days.

And again he is fighting the winner of the Gus/Cormier fight in proposal he is fighting the winner. So in essence yes he doesn't fight one of them but he still fights the other who happens to be the better of the two.
    I have a HUGE problem with this logic.

Fighting one fighter isn't fighting the better of the two. It's fighting a guy who was better on one night.
    The role of rematches in MMA has become diminished, and that's unfortunate. It's infinitely preferrable--even from a business sense--to have a champion face a string of talented contenders rather than have them knock each other out of contention and face the single survivor, particularly if said champion is taking weak defenders in the mean time. Building credibility and legitimacy is a superior practice than the shell-game that zuffa currently engages in.

But there is money to be made from one huge fight a year and the profits for the crap fests like sonnen/jones are still considerable, so I don't imagine there is impetus to change.

I just hate when people think winning one fight makes someone the better fighter. There is so much history ignored there. MMA is the best of all combat sports because it incorporates more variables than any other combat sport--and at the elite level any of those variables can end a fight. On one night. But it takes a rematch, in my opinion, to actually prove anything beyond one fight on one night.

But while I would say that Jones has more of the heart of an accountant than a champion, I would never state that Jones is scared.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Thread Information