+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Phil Davis: Jon Jones 'wants more of the softer side of the division'

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    It's not going to happen, and because it doesn't happen doesn't mean he's scared. He's working as a business man, optimizing his brand for as long as he can, in a company that specializes in overhype and constant misdirection of a fickle, less-than-informed fanbase. Many of them can be convinced that one big fight a year is fine, so why strive for more than that--particularly since he worked his ass off earlier in his career. He can easily feel that he's paid his dues, now it's time to collect.
    A good assessment and I pretty much agree with it. Whether we like it or not it's a trend we will see more and more of with champs wanting to dictate the direction of their title defenses and who they fight.

Fighting one fighter isn't fighting the better of the two. It's fighting a guy who was better on one night.
    The role of rematches in MMA has become diminished, and that's unfortunate. It's infinitely preferrable--even from a business sense--to have a champion face a string of talented contenders rather than have them knock each other out of contention and face the single survivor, particularly if said champion is taking weak defenders in the mean time. Building credibility and legitimacy is a superior practice than the shell-game that zuffa currently engages in.

I just hate when people think winning one fight makes someone the better fighter. There is so much history ignored there. MMA is the best of all combat sports because it incorporates more variables than any other combat sport--and at the elite level any of those variables can end a fight. On one night. But it takes a rematch, in my opinion, to actually prove anything beyond one fight on one night..
    I don't disagree my point was more that he was willing to fight either Gus or Cormier though as it certainly would not a guaranteed win for either of those guys if they faced each other.

White: Phil Davis needs to get over mental hump

“I like Phil, and I don’t want to throw Phil under the bus, but Phil needs to get over that mental hump, and he needs to get on the Internet and f–king check the rankings and see where he’s ranked,” White said. “He’s one of the best light heavyweights in the world, but he doesn’t come off to me like I’ve got guys (who are) breathing down my f–king neck for fights: ‘I want this fight. I want this, I want that.’

“Phil Davis is like, ‘Eh, I’ll hang out around No. 4 here.’ He’s not that guy that comes across to me like, ‘I f–king want it. I want to be the champ. I want to be the best in the world.’ He’s just sort of, ‘Eh.’”

Bonesknows pm'd me a picture of his new tattoo...

4. Default

Look at that..... forehead.
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post

it brings out my eyes.

Whatcha gonna do Brother, when the New World Order destroys you?

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    it brings out my eyes.
    i always thought you were black.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    Um, cant you see his arm? Clearly white.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    lol for real? thats awesome, but the picture isnt actually me for anyone who actually cares.

Whatcha gonna do Brother, when the New World Order destroys you?

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post

That's pretty cool until he lifts a bunch of weights and ends up with a tattoo of Kenan Thompson. Watch out Alan Belcher.
    "He's got big balls. I like that." -Josh Koschek on Frank Trigg's balls.

Quote Originally Posted by RearNakedStroke View Post
    That's pretty cool until he lifts a bunch of weights and ends up with a tattoo of Kenan Thompson. Watch out Alan Belcher.
    The kind of guy who would get a Jon Jones tattoo on his arm is probably not the kind of guy that would lift weights. I expect the more likely scenario is the guy putting on more weight and the tat turning into fat Al Roker, minus the glasses

Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information