Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Phil Davis: Jon Jones 'wants more of the softer side of the division'

Phil Davis sounds like a clown on that conference call today. Hope Johnson SMASHES him saturday night...i mean who has Phil Davis really beat?

Jon Jones bashes 'goofy' Phil Davis after 'Mr. Wonderful' promises to break 'Bones' like a sugar cookie
    Nonetheless, if you tuned in to today's (April 21, 2014) media conference call (listen to full video replay here), you would have thought "Bones" and "Mr. Wonderful" were fighting one another, seeing as how the two talented 205-pounders engaged in a war of words.

Check out how it all unfolded (via MMA Fighting):

"Jon Jones said I was going to break him apart like a sugar cookie, man, that's not exactly correct. I promised I was going to break him apart like a sugar cookie. Big difference."

Jones, was quick to question the threat promise:

"Yo Phil, that wasn't very nice, man. What's up with you Phil? When did we become like this?"

After trading jabs at one another, Davis eventually found a way to take it back to UFC 165, where his teammate -- Alexander Gustafsson -- dragged Jones into deep water, coming ever-so close to dethroning him.

In fact, according to Davis, "The Mauler" should be the rightful champion seeing as how Jones had no answer for the "seven kinds of smoke" the Swede was throwing his way.

"It's funny you should ask, because I was going to chime in. Here's what happened. Jon Jones came out doing his regular deal and Alex -- because Alex and I, we train together and we went over some things to do -- I said, listen man, what you really need to do is you need to strong arm him like an American and hit him with a back hand pimp slap. I'm telling you right now, Alexander threw seven different kinds of smoke at this dude, Jon Jones didn't know up from down when he was fighting Alex. He didn't know what hit him. He didn't know why he hit him -- why he was hitting so hard. I honestly still don't really understand really how [Alex] lost, but I will say this -- Jon Jones came back the last two rounds, fourth and fifth rounds, came back like a champion. Did he do enough to win? Absolutely not. But, I'm going to tell you this, seven different kinds of smoke. Jon Jones was one fire, seven different kinds of smoke he had."

If you didn't catch "You, Me and Dupree," then the "seven kinds of smoke" reference probably went over your head.

Oh, but Davis wasn't done bashing Jones ... not by a long shot:

"The last time you tried to handle somebody in the striking department, Alex hit you so many times in the right eye you almost turned into a pirate. I wouldn't be so sure you can be better than Glover standing up because let me tell you ... he throws heat. What are you going to do?"

In the end, Jones chose to take the high road instead of "belittling" himself by engaging in the war of words with Davis, but not before he threw in a few verbal jabs "Mr. Wonderful's" way:

"I think if anything Phil's embarrassing himself with all the antics. But, it's what he decided to do today. You know, I'm a champion. I'm a champion, and I fight the top dogs and my whole career has been in the fast lane. I am not going to sit here and belittle myself by entertaining Phil. At first I thought it was funny, but it's just silly. And I'm fighting Glover, and he's fighting Anthony Johnson. I really need to stay focused on Glover, and Glover's a great challenge to me.I just think when you talk like that, and you be so goofy, it puts a lot of pressure on you. I mean, what if he goes out there and gets caught with one of those high kicks from Anthony Johnson and gets knocked out? It's going to be really embarrassing to talk so much trash to me and then get knocked out by Anthony Johnson. So I'm going to keep my mouth shut and stay focused for what I'm here for, and that's Glover."

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    Machida for starters. Choked out Goose too.
    Goose yes, but the goose then and the goose now are two different fighters imo. And yeah he beat machida....technically.

So I'm going to keep my mouth shut and stay focused for what I'm here for, and that's Glover."

Why can't he do this all the time?!
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    Goose yes, but the goose then and the goose now are two different fighters imo. And yeah he beat machida....technically.
    Similar to how Jones beat Goose......technically.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    Similar to how Jones beat Goose......technically.
    lolz if you think they are close to the same.
    Last edited by BonesKnows; 04-22-2014 at 08:43 AM.

You're right. No one thought Gus won that fight. I feel terrible.

I'm not sure what's more amusing here....an adult saying "LOLZ" or your unwavering conviction to the thought that Jon Jones is the messiah.
    Last edited by SimpleJack; 04-22-2014 at 09:16 AM.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    Why can't he do this all the time?!
    Yes. As it stands, it doesn't even erase the "I'm a champion, and I fight the top dogs and my whole career has been in the fast lane" nonsense that came one breath before it.

Ignoring the sonnen and Belfort bouts won't make them go away.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    Phil Davis sounds like a clown on that conference call today. Hope Johnson SMASHES him saturday night...i mean who has Phil Davis really beat?
    Really, you thought Davis sounded like the clown?

I thought Davis did a good job stealing the show (call) from Jones and getting Jones to talk about what Davis wanted to talk about, not what Jones wanted to talk about.

Also, at least Davis made some funny jokes (somewhat), as opposed to Jones, who just stole Browne's act from the previous press conference with the whole, 'oh Phil I thought we were freind's' schtick. And what was Jones even trying to say after that? All he did was repeat Phil's name a bunch of times.

Davis definitely got the upper hand on Jones in that telephone call.

Thread Information