Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Matt Brown vs. Erick Silva headlines UFC Fight Night 40 in Cincinnati

Default Matt Brown vs. Erick Silva headlines UFC Fight Night 40 in Cincinnati

Matt Brown vs. Erick Silva headlines UFC Fight Night 40 in Cincinnati

A key welterweight fight between sluggers Matt Brown (18-11 MMA, 11-5 UFC) and Erick Silva (16-4 MMA, 4-3 UFC) headlines the UFC’s May return to Ohio.

UFC official today confirmed the matchup following an initial report from FOX Sports.

The bout new serves as the featured contest of “UFC Fight Night 40: Brown vs. Silva,” which takes place May 10 at U.S. Bank Arena in Cincinnati. The evening’s main card airs on FOX Sports 1 following preliminary bouts on UFC Fight Pass. The full lineup will be announced shortly.

I kind of feel like this is a step down for Brown. Wasn't he just booked to fight Condit before he got injured, in what may have been a #1 contenders bout? Silva's not in the top 10 yet, and although a dangerous fight, it's one Brown is supposed to win. So if Brown does win, that's 7 in a row, and he still won't get the title shot or move much closer to it. He'll still need to win another fight (or 2) to get a title shot. Why not just have him fight any of these guys now: Macdonald, Hendricks/Lawler loser, Condit/Woodley winner, Sheilds/Lombard winner ... hell even Maia makes more sense than Erick Silva.

My basic point is will this fight get him a title fight? No. So he needs to win 8 in a row to get a shot at the title. I don't get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    I wanted to watch two fat guys stare at each other huffing and puffing

Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I kind of feel like this is a step down for Brown. Wasn't he just booked to fight Condit before he got injured, in what may have been a #1 contenders bout? Silva's not in the top 10 yet, and although a dangerous fight, it's one Brown is supposed to win. So if Brown does win, that's 7 in a row, and he still won't get the title shot or move much closer to it. He'll still need to win another fight (or 2) to get a title shot. Why not just have him fight any of these guys now: Macdonald, Hendricks/Lawler loser, Condit/Woodley winner, Sheilds/Lombard winner ... hell even Maia makes more sense than Erick Silva.

My basic point is will this fight get him a title fight? No. So he needs to win 8 in a row to get a shot at the title. I don't get it.
    Really? I think Silva is going to smash him.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

I think Erick Silva is more talented than Matt Brown but this is definitely a step down for Brown. He was fighting for the #1 contender spot and now is fighting a guy who was highlight reel KO'ed by Dong-Hyun Kim. Why not just pit him against Dong-Hyun Kim?

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    Really? I think Silva is going to smash him.
    agreed. While technically its a step down from condit I think Silva is probably more dangerous and most likely makes Brown look like a fool. I love all three fighters (condit, silva, and brown) but brown is too slow and sloppy to hang with silva.

The condit fight would have been good for brown simply because condit is more methodical and takes his time alowing brown to at least make it a fight.

It's in his hometown, and it'll be 9 months since his last fight. Yea it's a step down from a #1 contender fight against Carlos Condit, but he's got a better chance against Silva than he does Condit. Tough fight, but it'll put him back in a #1 contender fight against winner of Lombard/Shields or MacDonald.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

Matt Brown has made a living out of winning these types of fights, though I don't think he's faced anyone with Silva's pure athleticism yet. Should be a good scrap.

Brown is probably two fights away regardless of who he fights. The Condit/Woodley winner most likely get the next title. He has a while to wait before a title shot opens up. This fight will give him a fight against Rory or the winner of the Shields/Lombard fight, one that will guarantee him a shot.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

If Brown can make it a drag-out stand-up fight I think he takes it. If Silva can utilize grappling and take it down he'll take it, as Browns sub defence has been suspect. But I just think Brown's going to walk right through him here, by KO or decision. Silva has been alternating between wins and losses so he's due for a loss (although one was that kife DQ).

I think the experience of Brown will be what wins him the fight, however Silvas speed and athleticism may be too much for him to handle. I don't see Silva KOing Brown, he may pull off a sub but I see a decision for Brown in the end.

I had just looked at this card this morning and thought it was shitty, even for a fight night. But this fight makes the card interesting now.

Props to Brown for taking a high-risk/low-reward bout after an injury layoff.

He could teach some alleged p4p champions a thing or two about heart.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Thread Information