Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: junior dos santos vs. stipe miocic set for ufc 173

Default junior dos santos vs. stipe miocic set for ufc 173

A former heavyweight champion will make his return against a Top 10 fighter facing his biggest challenge at UFC 173.

Junior dos Santos is slated step into the Octagon on May 24 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena. There, the former UFC champion will square off with once-beaten Stipe Miocic.

UFC Australia tweeted the matchup on Monday night.

Dos Santos (16-3) last fought in October at UFC 166 in Houston, when he was finished by current champion Cain Velasquez in the fifth round of their trilogy fight. Minus his pair of losses to Velasquez, dos Santos is 10-0 over the remainder of his UFC career.

Miocic (11-1), meanwhile, is stepping up for the biggest fight of his career. Miocic was finished by Stefan Struve in 2012, but has since rebounded for decision wins over Roy Nelson and Gabriel Gonzaga.

Combined, dos Santos and Miocic have 22 wins by finish in their 27 victories.

The UFC also tweeted out a lightweight bout for UFC 173, which is headlined by Chris Weidman vs. Lyoto Machida for the middleweight title. Poland's Piotr Hallmann (14-2) will meet veteran Yves Edwards (42-20-1, 1 NC) on the card. Hallmann is coming off an October loss to Al Iaquinta, while Edwards is 1-3 with a no-contest in his past five fights.
    man, this is an awesome fight. both good stand up fighters with good striking but I think JDS takes it.
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/3/4/...cic-at-ufc-173

If Struve knocked out Stipe it probably won't be a fun night for Miocic.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

Big fight for stipe. He is gonna have to pressure jds and not let him counter if he is going to win. This should be a fun fight and a big step up for stipe.

Damn, I dont wanna see Stipe get killed, but that is most definitely gonna happen.
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

"He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

Ooooh yeah. Decent matchup in which I would favor junior but either way this could be fireworks.

RIP Stipe
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Stipe is nowhere near ready for this fight, his striking is not up to snuff against somebody like JDS and I haven't seen enough out of his wrestling to say he'll have a distinctive advantage there. Stipe looked rather blah against Napao and he didn't look too hot in the Struve fight either.

Coming off the second Cain loss and moving over to Nova Uniao, I'm thinking JDS is looking for the kill and I don't see Stipe having the tools to combat what's going to be thrown at him.

Wonder who Overeem will fight now, I hear his ribs are healing at rapid speed now that JDS is booked

Great matchup featuring two HW that are on the more technical side of striking in the division.

I dont think people should be counting out Stipe. Although he lost to Struve, he bounced back in back2back one-sided beatings of Nelson and Gonzaga. He has improved his footwork considerably in those fights, and that is key in matching up with JDS.

Plus, I dont see JDS as the great boxer that he is. His technique is still lacking, and Cain has shown that pressuring him early on tends to make JDS slow down quickly.

I think JDS wins, but I could see it being a hard fought win, and not a one-sided beating or KO of Stipe.

Anything can happen, and MMAmath is bullshit by the way. But definitely Cigano is the favorite one here.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    Anything can happen, and MMAmath is bullshit by the way. But definitely Cigano is the favorite one here.
    I'm looking at him being at least a 5-1 favourite against Stipe.

Thread Information