Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: junior dos santos vs. stipe miocic set for ufc 173

Night night Stipe

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

I don't think anyone has much of a chance at beating JDS unless they can impose Cain's gameplan. JDS can absorb a lot of damage to dish it back out, and unless you can stay on him and keep the distance closed, you're in trouble. I don't see Stipe being able to absorb Junior's power. This is Junior's fight to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    Stipe is nowhere near ready for this fight, his striking is not up to snuff against somebody like JDS and I haven't seen enough out of his wrestling to say he'll have a distinctive advantage there. Stipe looked rather blah against Napao and he didn't look too hot in the Struve fight either.

Coming off the second Cain loss and moving over to Nova Uniao, I'm thinking JDS is looking for the kill and I don't see Stipe having the tools to combat what's going to be thrown at him.

Wonder who Overeem will fight now, I hear his ribs are healing at rapid speed now that JDS is booked
    Read somewhere that ufc's going back to japan late this year, so, I could see overeem vs. hunt as a headline event for the card.

Stipe has got some balls on him, I hope he pulls off the upset of the year

Stipe is the better wrestler, he'll need to mix it up to have a chance.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Without blinking I bitch slapped him right across the face and grabbed him and yelled, "You go out there and beat his ass!!!" Nate "The Rock" Quarry.

"Shit just got real here in the Max!" Michael "The Voice" Schiavello at K-1 World Max Rd of 16 2010, Zambidis vs. Chahid.

I don't see this ending well for Miocic. But as always, I know not what will actually happen come fight night.

Stipe hasn't shown himself to be a big takedown threat, so he won't get the openings on JDS that Cain got. He does have a deep gas tank and can keep up a good pace though, so this is interesting. He's mobile with good footwork and hand speed as well. JDS by decision, probably closer than we'd expect looking at it on paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Goremire View Post
    Stipe hasn't shown himself to be a big takedown threat, so he won't get the openings on JDS that Cain got. He does have a deep gas tank and can keep up a good pace though, so this is interesting. He's mobile with good footwork and hand speed as well. JDS by decision, probably closer than we'd expect looking at it on paper.
    Well, it remains to be seen if Stipe will get some takedowns, I would imagine he'll at least try. If this goes to a decision, I'll take Stipe in the upset for the reasons you've mentioned. More likely, this will end in a KO for JDS.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Without blinking I bitch slapped him right across the face and grabbed him and yelled, "You go out there and beat his ass!!!" Nate "The Rock" Quarry.

"Shit just got real here in the Max!" Michael "The Voice" Schiavello at K-1 World Max Rd of 16 2010, Zambidis vs. Chahid.

Quote Originally Posted by earle View Post
    Well, it remains to be seen if Stipe will get some takedowns, I would imagine he'll at least try. If this goes to a decision, I'll take Stipe in the upset for the reasons you've mentioned. More likely, this will end in a KO for JDS.
    Absolutely Stipe should go for the takedown, and also attempt to clinch Junior up on the fence and rough him up. Use the Cain gamplan basically, see if he can bring back some of JDS's nightmares. If he can establish these as viable threats and get JDS sweating on the grappling side of things then he might get some openings on the feet to exploit.

if this stays a pure boxing match I expect it will end badly for him, even though he is probably in the upper echelon of strikers JDS has faced.

Going for the takedown sounds like the smart thing to do but I'd wager Stipe wants to win this fight standing with a stick and move strategy, and I dont think its going to work at all. Dos Santos will come into this fight leaner with improved cardio, TDD and clinch work. I don't think Stipe can hurt Dos Santos but Junior will hurt him badly this is fight is a mismatch.

Thread Information