Thread: Jon Jones: I'm sick of seeing UFC LHW fighting 'cans' until they get a title shot

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by The Return Of...... View Post
    Jones didn't just get a title shot based on beating Bader. He got a title shot after he beat Bader due to Evans being hurt and well the timing just worked.
    Just like Cormier shouldnt get a title shot based on beating Cummins but it would make sense for him to step in for Tex / Davis / Johnson if one of them got injured, just like DC said.

Quote Originally Posted by RearNakedStroke View Post
    It could be wrong. It was a long time ago, but I thought Bader was decently ranked at the time Jones beat him. Not a top contender but at least a top ten that was a big prospect and working his way up the ranks at the time.
    I think Bader was ranked just outside of the top 5 when Jones beat him. Bader was still ranked top ten when Tex beat him. Bader was ranked #10 at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by RearNakedStroke View Post
    His previous accomplishments were in a different weight class, so they should have no effect on a title shot at LHW. I say "should" but we all know how the UFC works.
    I understand the argument but to me... If you more or less clear out a division and decide to drop down to a lower division, you prove you can make weight, that previous record at the higher weight class should have an influence.
    Last edited by Cat--Smasher; 03-04-2014 at 03:30 PM.

Thread Information