Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jon Jones: I'm sick of seeing UFC LHW fighting 'cans' until they get a title shot

Quote Originally Posted by The Return Of...... View Post
    Jones didn't just get a title shot based on beating Bader. He got a title shot after he beat Bader due to Evans being hurt and well the timing just worked.
    Just like Cormier shouldnt get a title shot based on beating Cummins but it would make sense for him to step in for Tex / Davis / Johnson if one of them got injured, just like DC said.

Quote Originally Posted by RearNakedStroke View Post
    It could be wrong. It was a long time ago, but I thought Bader was decently ranked at the time Jones beat him. Not a top contender but at least a top ten that was a big prospect and working his way up the ranks at the time.
    I think Bader was ranked just outside of the top 5 when Jones beat him. Bader was still ranked top ten when Tex beat him. Bader was ranked #10 at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by RearNakedStroke View Post
    His previous accomplishments were in a different weight class, so they should have no effect on a title shot at LHW. I say "should" but we all know how the UFC works.
    I understand the argument but to me... If you more or less clear out a division and decide to drop down to a lower division, you prove you can make weight, that previous record at the higher weight class should have an influence.
    Last edited by Cat--Smasher; 03-04-2014 at 03:30 PM.

Here's a crazy concept for champions, defend the title, and shut up about it. They never come off good complaining about who is getting the shot. Even Bones, who acts like he went to the teenage girl academy for being catty, seems like he is just whining. If a fight is easy then enjoy the easy pay day, and you get to hold onto the title for that much longer. I understand if you'd rather have a name over a nobody for a pay day, it's annoying still, but I understand, but you aren't the fairness police. If you were, you probably shoulda complained about the 2 middleweights that you fought, maybe fought guys in your weight class.
    USA! USA! USA!

I know right! Beating Bader definitely doesn't earn you a title shot. Wait...

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    Here's a crazy concept for champions, defend the title, and shut up about it. They never come off good complaining about who is getting the shot. Even Bones, who acts like he went to the teenage girl academy for being catty, seems like he is just whining. If a fight is easy then enjoy the easy pay day, and you get to hold onto the title for that much longer. I understand if you'd rather have a name over a nobody for a pay day, it's annoying still, but I understand, but you aren't the fairness police. If you were, you probably shoulda complained about the 2 middleweights that you fought, maybe fought guys in your weight class.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuDd4R_wu_s
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

I always thought that in order to be a champion in the most prestigious MMA promotion in the world, you have to truly feel that you can beat anyone on the planet, probably at a few different weight classes. With that mentality, it shouldn't matter who they throw at you. You're at the top, and the promotion finds you challengers. Unless you think someone particular poses a challenge, then call that guy out for his/her talents. But to diminish a potential challenger is pretty fucking petty and it would tarnish, in my opinion, any type of legacy you're trying to leave.
    You have to know what you don't know.

I understand what Jon's is saying. However, he should look at his path to a title. He was very lucky that he was given the title shot.

Isn't the goal to HYPE UP your opponent before the fight, so that when you beat him it's even more impressive?

And I mean, beating Bader and Rampage en route to the title are two fighters Bones has faced as well, Bader being the guy he'd defeated before the short-notice Shogun title fight so.......

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    Isn't the goal to HYPE UP your opponent before the fight, so that when you beat him it's even more impressive?

And I mean, beating Bader and Rampage en route to the title are two fighters Bones has faced as well, Bader being the guy he'd defeated before the short-notice Shogun title fight so.......
    This was exactly what I wanted to comment on. On one hand, Jones didn't want to rematch Machida because the first fight had the lowest buyrates out of all his opponents. On the other hand, he has been questioning the credibility of every opponent he has been recently facing or is about to face, which diminishes their marketability and negatively affects PPV buyrates in the process.

What's even worse is that all these guys have serious claims in challenging for the title. Sure Texeira hasn't beat all top 10s but he poses a threat in every department of the game and shut down every opponent he has faced (two common with Jones) in one of the longest streaks in UFC. Sure Gustafsson will face a non-top in Manuwa, but he pushed Jones to the limit. Some would even argue that Gus doesn't even need to face anyone to earn that shot. Sure, Cormier just faced a nobody in Cummins (at least in the MMA world), but it's not like his HW accomplishments don't mean anything. He was the clear #1 contender to the HW title, is undefeated and an olympian. He could've easily dropped down and got an immediate title shot like Pettis.

There aren't many contenders left in the LHW division. It would be a very unwise move for the contenders to knock each other off which hurts future matchmaking. The ultimate goal is to ensure that Jones, as a champion, is facing credible challengers. The secondary goal is that the #1 contenders are facing credible opposition.

Since when does Jon Jones make title match ups anyway?
    Believe in Chimichanga's

Quote Originally Posted by SickNasty View Post
    I always thought that in order to be a champion in the most prestigious MMA promotion in the world, you have to truly feel that you can beat anyone on the planet, probably at a few different weight classes. With that mentality, it shouldn't matter who they throw at you. You're at the top, and the promotion finds you challengers. Unless you think someone particular poses a challenge, then call that guy out for his/her talents. But to diminish a potential challenger is pretty fucking petty and it would tarnish, in my opinion, any type of legacy you're trying to leave.
    I don't get it either.
    I also don't get the weird thing with fans who are OK with a fighter not fighting the very best available. Anderson's fans used to do it a lot, and now Jones'. Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    There aren't many contenders left in the LHW division.
    ...and even fewer Jon is willing to face.

It would be one thing if he was calling out a better fighter...but he just disparages opponents and doesn't ask for any alternative.

Again...weird.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Thread Information